Age of Conan

The Author

So, it is currently installing, can't report on the actual game.

It'll be my first MMORPG started in the first week, however from the get go, I hate their control scheme...

It seems clunky.... zsqdwc...

Although now it seems like it was done for an azerty keyboard... the game, overall, seems interesting. I'll report more news from the front, and I await your comments.

I'm interested in seeing how this game goes, but I'm really iffy about it. I hardly think it's the zomg WoW killer that everyone expect it to be...to me it's not even the same type of game. HOWEVER the fact that it's on XBOX360 and has bar fights, amongst other things, makes me rather iffy about the demographic that's gonna pick it up at first.

WE SHALL SEE what transpires.

I heard it was supposed to appeal to a FFA PvP crowd with real player driven PvP, and I liked the idea of the low-fantasy Conan setting(it predates high-fantasy LotR and thus all LotR fantasy eventual spin-offs), so I started following it but I'm still very reserved on the game. Oh btw I don't believe Bar fights are in and it's XBOX360 release is still simply slated for "future date"

I've heard good things of its launch(stable, smooth performance, quite a great mostly bug-free launch), I hear good things about it's graphics(given that you have the computer system to run it, also scales very well, but starts looking not nearly as pretty), I hear good things about its combat(engaging step up from auto-attack, very fun!), I hear good things about it's use of lore and it's maturity(simply plays as a more adult game with more realistic dialogue and it really uses the Conan lore very well).

I don't hear good things about some other, very important, aspects.

Some say that the game has a very poor (over)use of instances- it has "hard" Zones that all have loading screens in between them(compared to World of Warcrafts "soft" zoning, which makes them seamlessly connected), in addition, there may be multiple instances of the same outdoor zone running, the server automatically generates additional copies once one instance fills up. That is to say, once so many people fill up one zone, another copy of that zone will be created for the next people that go into that zone, and so on. I could deal with hard zoning if the zones themselves are very large(which they may be), but when as many as 9 copies of a zone are running at a time(the number of characters in one instance has to be capped pretty low to reach that many instances)- it really starts to break that important "FFA PvP" immersion and defeats the purpose of having a game be an "MMO"(I can play other games for free on 32 man servers if I wanted that kind of experience). It also deals with minigame PvP, aka Battlegrounds like in WoW, which creates a feeling of revulsion for some people.

In addition, the much hyped "Massive siege warfare" over in-game guild-owned locations was recently revealed to be only 48 vs. 48, which is a far cry shorter than the impression of hundreds fighting that they were initially saying. So overall, the game loses a lot of appeal in both large scale PvP and MMO immersiveness. A few people have described Age of Conan feeling like "a great single player game with some multiplayer elements" over feeling like an actual MMO, and as such, will probably really enjoy playing the month they get with the game purchase but are doubting that they'd really keep playing and paying $15 a month for it.

At the moment, I'll keep waiting patiently for any more developments on the game- it's theme and the concepts they originally had for it really appealed to me, so I got my eye on it to see if it is really something I want to dive into or not.

Could always move out of Quebec..?

In any rate AoC looks interesting but for the sake of laziness as well as informing others, what are the system specs for it..?

A lot..

[Recommended]

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent

CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz

System Ram: 2 GB

Operating System: Windows XP SP2 or Vista

Drive Type: DVD Drive

Free Disk Space: 30 GB

Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c Graphics Card with Shader 3.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent)

Video Card Features:

-Video Ram: 512 MB

-Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required

-Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required

-Vertex Shader Ver: Required - 3.0

-Pixel Shader Ver: Required - 3.0

Minimum specs are a bit lower, as in a 3 GHz CPU, 1 gig of ram, and a GeForce 6600 I think.

I'm currently running it on 4GB of RAM, 8800GTS, Q6600 @ 3.6GHZ.

It's really pretty and runs rather fine, though i did notice some slowdown on the rowboat at the character creation, ingame though FPS was very playable. I'll do some FPS charting when i get off work.