Halo mix

JD-DJ

TWO YEARS? Really? A lot of time has passed since I tried submitting this. The thing is, it never got through because TinDeck went down for a little while. Wow, two years later and I just now decide to resubmit it. Jeez, haha. I don't even use FL Studio anymore. I'd have to get my PC fixed before considering revising it.

stats.png

Updated 1/20/10

--------

Updated 7/7/08 <------ LOOK. I didn't alter this.

I've made the final updates...or so I think. Tell me if it still needs refining before being sent to the judges.

hmmmm....they can be strict at times, and if its a song like this that relates to halo well then it will be judged strictly too.With that being said, the song has a nice beat but would love to hear more of an instrument beat rather than a MIDI beat to it, but thats just me. The beginning though, it needs a little cleaning up cause its too spuratic from fast to slow then fast again...granted the beginning theme of Halo started slow, this kinda starts, stops, speeds up, and slows down..but overall? its a nice...well to say very nice seeing its your first one so keep it up

hmmmm....they can be strict at times, and if its a song like this that relates to halo well then it will be judged strictly too.With that being said, the song has a nice beat but would love to hear more of an instrument beat rather than a MIDI beat to it, but thats just me. The beginning though, it needs a little cleaning up cause its too spuratic from fast to slow then fast again...granted the beginning theme of Halo started slow, this kinda starts, stops, speeds up, and slows down..but overall? its a nice...well to say very nice seeing its your first one so keep it up

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll have to try to make it more structured speed-wise. The tempo never literally changes, but I know what you mean. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by instrument versus MIDI. I think I'm missing the exact meaning of MIDI. I've always thought it was just a file which used computer-generated sounds, but I've heard it used in so many ways, I just don't know what to think, haha. Would you prefer that I used a recorded beat instead of programming it?

I honestly wasn't thinking of being compared to Marty O' Donnel when I made this, but I guess now that I think about it, that probably should have been obvious. So since he's a very talented musician for an overwhelmingly successful game, I can definitely see how the judging may be particularly strict for this one.

Remix is nice, but you should use Tindeck.com to host files.

Some people here wishes to download tracks too. :<

Ah, will do. I wasn't really set on the other site, just browsed until I found anything, lol. I'll update the first post using that instead.

Hopefully I've made things a little better now. I tried not to make it seem like it constantly changed pace, and I changed a few other things you'll notice. I'm having an extra difficult time giving that main acid synth its own spot in the stereo for some reason...I almost want to throw this out to someone else and let them mess with the production. Mastering is my least favorite part, because I always have this problem... Oh well, I'll polish it some other time, for now it's Doctor Who time!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll have to try to make it more structured speed-wise. The tempo never literally changes, but I know what you mean. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by instrument versus MIDI. I think I'm missing the exact meaning of MIDI. I've always thought it was just a file which used computer-generated sounds, but I've heard it used in so many ways, I just don't know what to think, haha. Would you prefer that I used a recorded beat instead of programming it?

I honestly wasn't thinking of being compared to Marty O' Donnel when I made this, but I guess now that I think about it, that probably should have been obvious. So since he's a very talented musician for an overwhelmingly successful game, I can definitely see how the judging may be particularly strict for this one.

what I mean by the MIDI sound I mean by like it sounded more like something from the old final fantasy games with the "bit" like sound...the new arrangement is really nice and a little cleaner..one advice I think would be nice is to highten the vocal-like sound gradually as it is getting closer and closer to the climax of it. Another would be to have a little stronger drum beat to it (not faster or anything, just something like you would hear in an orchestra rather than something found in a marching band)..and finally when making the ending of this..drop the climax at 2:50 with a gradual stop instead of a cut off, and for that little area thats there at the end of silence, add in only the vocals or say like a guitar of the vocals for the main end

I agree about possibly using a guitar towards the end of the climax, but I think the cut works well. I really liked this mix, which is unusual as I don't dig most synth-overlay type stuff, nor do I really care about Halo all that much. I think with a little bit of re-tooling this will go far.

what I mean by the MIDI sound I mean by like it sounded more like something from the old final fantasy games with the "bit" like sound...the new arrangement is really nice and a little cleaner..one advice I think would be nice is to highten the vocal-like sound gradually as it is getting closer and closer to the climax of it. Another would be to have a little stronger drum beat to it (not faster or anything, just something like you would hear in an orchestra rather than something found in a marching band)..and finally when making the ending of this..drop the climax at 2:50 with a gradual stop instead of a cut off, and for that little area thats there at the end of silence, add in only the vocals or say like a guitar of the vocals for the main end

Oh ok, so my first guess was actually right, lol. Well I didn't really use midi sounds, just low quality ones at first, they should sound better by now...do they? lol. And I added that orchestral beat you suggested, which first comes in around 1:12, and then a rockish beat overlaps it later. I also made the choir become louder toward the climax, though it may not be as noticeable as I'd like, and then it ends by soloing the choir again, once again, as you suggested. I would consider an electric guitar if all my sounds didn't suck. XP Unless of course you mean an acoustic, then I have some pretty nice ones.

I agree about possibly using a guitar towards the end of the climax, but I think the cut works well. I really liked this mix, which is unusual as I don't dig most synth-overlay type stuff, nor do I really care about Halo all that much. I think with a little bit of re-tooling this will go far.

Once again, the guitar usage depends on which type of guitar. Unless I could get someone here to record something for me, that'd be awesome too. Also, I updated so that the main synth is a lot clearer, and I took another stab at the mastering in general, if that's what you mean by "re-tooling". I fear that this is the best I can do in that area for now, I'm not very good at it. XD

Also, just throwing this out there, this doesn't necessarily have to stay this short. I'd actually like for a longer mix, but I can't think of anything to add, extending it as it is would probably result in too much repitition.

I would love to hear a longer one...make a Halo trilogy with this (the main theme from one, find something from 2, and end it with something from 3) and for a guitar, try the acoustic and see how it sounds ^.^. You do not have to stick directly to Halo either, you could..and I am just throwing this out there, but add like some MGS to it? make it feel like Snake is fighting Master Chief (oh God the fanboys will kill me now) anyways yeah thats something that could work out, but you would have to be careful with it lol

UPDATED AGAIN, lol

I'm very new to OC ReMix, so I'm not sure exactly how strict the judging is, but I'm thinking that this track is probably not going to get through in its current condition. My mastering and production skills aren't the best, and this track, IMO, doesn't really have the "wow" effect that all the other music on this site does. I'm not sure what to do with it to make it give the listener that impact though. Personally I'm pretty happy with the composition and such, but it seems like it's missing something, any suggestions?

Also thought I'd throw in that it may not even be considered a Halo ReMix as much as a "Halo Inspired song". It uses some famous melodies, easily recognizeable at parts, but the arrangement and chord progression may be too different from the original.

Be harsh, do I have potential here or should I go home now?

This is garbage kill yourself.

speaking of garbage did you hit trash cans for percussion it sounds like it. Th only time the percussion sounded right was at the end/

After Glitch's harsh comment I _had_ to hear this. Mostly for the "trash cans".

I like the progression, style, and overall sound this remix has. It could use more original writing, interpretations of the themes rather than just adaptations to the track genre. There's source all over it, but it needs more interpretation, not just genre conversions.

You also need to work on your processing, the high bells can get a little painful to hear, and your lead synth doesn't have the attention-grabbing qualities of a lead, it sounds more like a bass instrument played an octave or two too high. Work on the mixing, EQ, and effects to make it a bit cleaner and less painful (bells, mostly).

As for the percussion, I think it's great. :D Needs processing, but the writing and the samples sound good to me. Actually, the few places where I'd stretch it to being bad, it's bad in a good way. But like stated, process it more. Compression, lower some frequencies using EQ, clean it up.

Take a backup, then play around with the effects, EQ it, do stuff. The filter effect at the very end is pretty cool, so consider using stuff like that in the body of the track too.

Overall, not bad. It has potential, and as it's not your run-on-the-mill four-on-the-floor trance remix it has a special appeal. Work on it, it could be great. :D

After Glitch's harsh comment I _had_ to hear this. Mostly for the "trash cans".

I like the progression, style, and overall sound this remix has. It could use more original writing, interpretations of the themes rather than just adaptations to the track genre. There's source all over it, but it needs more interpretation, not just genre conversions.

You also need to work on your processing, the high bells can get a little painful to hear, and your lead synth doesn't have the attention-grabbing qualities of a lead, it sounds more like a bass instrument played an octave or two too high. Work on the mixing, EQ, and effects to make it a bit cleaner and less painful (bells, mostly).

As for the percussion, I think it's great. :D Needs processing, but the writing and the samples sound good to me. Actually, the few places where I'd stretch it to being bad, it's bad in a good way. But like stated, process it more. Compression, lower some frequencies using EQ, clean it up.

Take a backup, then play around with the effects, EQ it, do stuff. The filter effect at the very end is pretty cool, so consider using stuff like that in the body of the track too.

Overall, not bad. It has potential, and as it's not your run-on-the-mill four-on-the-floor trance remix it has a special appeal. Work on it, it could be great. :D

Ok, thanks! That's mosty what I need: advice on mastering. I know I must have said it a hundred times by now but yeah, lol. I'll make changes accordingly and update when I have time.

This is garbage kill yourself.

speaking of garbage did you hit trash cans for percussion it sounds like it. Th only time the percussion sounded right was at the end/

Wise advice, very constructive. Stick around, I could use a highly trained ear like yours to guide me to improvement.

I would love to hear a longer one...make a Halo trilogy with this (the main theme from one, find something from 2, and end it with something from 3) and for a guitar, try the acoustic and see how it sounds ^.^. You do not have to stick directly to Halo either, you could..and I am just throwing this out there, but add like some MGS to it? make it feel like Snake is fighting Master Chief (oh God the fanboys will kill me now) anyways yeah thats something that could work out, but you would have to be careful with it lol

Hmm, the trilogy isn't a bad idea, but I'm not so sure about the MGS idea. I mean don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but that's probably for someone with a higher skill level than me to pull off. I'll see what I can do, but I'm surprised to hear that it's not interpreted enough, so I'll also have to see how much longer I can make it using original melodies and what not.

Wise advice, very constructive. Stick around, I could use a highly trained ear like yours to guide me to improvement.

Hey bub its what I'm here for. I'll just lurk until this one gets submitted, theres a lot of room for improvement, Im looking forward to eating my words later on when this mix is worthy.

Hey if you combine "Eat my words" with "Stick mty foot in my mouth" you get "Eat my foot"

JD, make me eat my foot.

Wow! Glitch, is this one of those days where you worry that stick up your but is growing into a tree?

I like that saying, it describes most of the people I have to deal with nowadays.

Splinter,*no pun* on forums, everone has a stick up their ass. Its part of the registration process.

But to stay on subject the mix was quite hrmmfrmrl...

Hey bub its what I'm here for. I'll just lurk until this one gets submitted, theres a lot of room for improvement, Im looking forward to eating my words later on when this mix is worthy.

Hey if you combine "Eat my words" with "Stick mty foot in my mouth" you get "Eat my foot"

JD, make me eat my foot.

Well, I was actually being sarcastic, because it didn't seem like legitimate criticism, and frankly you came off as a jerk. Buuut with this post it seems you're just very....honest. Though I could have gone without the "kill yourself" statement, lol. So anyway, truce?

It feels like Final Fantasy boss music. But that isn't bad. That creates that "epic feeling" that certainly fits in the realm of the Halo universe. I agree that the rhythm sounds like it was done with MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) instruments rather than modern sound loops and instruments, but that isn't a bad thing either. The only suggestion I have is to rework the EQ just a bit. Some of the song seemed too loud. Clear, but too loud. Otherwise, you have a fantastic track on your hands. You should keep at it. I see you going far if you remain dedicated to this craft.

Alright, well I've updated again. I added a new square-wave lead and changed the old one into a synth bass, since some have commented that it sounded that way anyway. I kept the sub level bass in there too, is that too much? I also worked on quieting most things down, tweaking the EQ and separating the sounds. I changed the "bells" from a synth to an actual bell sample, tweaked their EQ and changed their melody so that they didn't reach the ear-piercing notes.

Also, I'm not done working on this version, but I figured I'd give you guys an update. I think the beginning repeats far too many times, and there's still probably not enough interpretation in the melody.

It feels like Final Fantasy boss music. But that isn't bad. That creates that "epic feeling" that certainly fits in the realm of the Halo universe. I agree that the rhythm sounds like it was done with MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) instruments rather than modern sound loops and instruments, but that isn't a bad thing either. The only suggestion I have is to rework the EQ just a bit. Some of the song seemed too loud. Clear, but too loud. Otherwise, you have a fantastic track on your hands. You should keep at it. I see you going far if you remain dedicated to this craft.

Thanks! ^^ Should I still rework the EQ in the newest version? I also turned everything down, so is that area good, or should I still turn everything down further?

The lead sounds more attention-grabbing now, tho it could be sharper. If you can base it more on triangle or saw waves rather than square, you'll get a sharper sound. Then you may have to close the cutoff filter a bit. You've already got it automated so you can open and close it, tho I think it should be more saw than what it currently is. What you've got is functional, tho. Not good, but not bad.

I'm a little bothered by the accompanying filtered... thing, the one also playing source. While its sequencing isn't bad, and it's filter controlled by an lfo (a guess, tho), it gets a little too sharp. Consider taking it down an octave or closing its cutoff filter more. Automation wouldn't be bad here, you could let it be this sharp sometimes, and less so at other times.

The pad in the background is a great filler. I like what you've got there. Consider changing it for strings or a warm pad or something else for part of the track. It's variation, and variation is usually a good thing.

Your snare could use a little more power. Compression or levels, I don't know which you should use. Bells and stuff doesn't sound painful anymore, so good job with that. You could drop the bells' level a _little_, same goes for the lead. You've got a little too much resonance on the drums (or at least the snare). It sounds especially painful during the fade by the break in the middle. See what frequencies the break mallets occupy, and drop those _slightly_ from drums, bass, and choir.

Overall, this is getting good. I'm hear both source and interpretation here, and you've improved the track so far. You're not done yet, tho.

The lead sounds more attention-grabbing now, tho it could be sharper. If you can base it more on triangle or saw waves rather than square, you'll get a sharper sound. Then you may have to close the cutoff filter a bit. You've already got it automated so you can open and close it, tho I think it should be more saw than what it currently is. What you've got is functional, tho. Not good, but not bad.

I'm a little bothered by the accompanying filtered... thing, the one also playing source. While its sequencing isn't bad, and it's filter controlled by an lfo (a guess, tho), it gets a little too sharp. Consider taking it down an octave or closing its cutoff filter more. Automation wouldn't be bad here, you could let it be this sharp sometimes, and less so at other times.

The pad in the background is a great filler. I like what you've got there. Consider changing it for strings or a warm pad or something else for part of the track. It's variation, and variation is usually a good thing.

Your snare could use a little more power. Compression or levels, I don't know which you should use. Bells and stuff doesn't sound painful anymore, so good job with that. You could drop the bells' level a _little_, same goes for the lead. You've got a little too much resonance on the drums (or at least the snare). It sounds especially painful during the fade by the break in the middle. See what frequencies the break mallets occupy, and drop those _slightly_ from drums, bass, and choir.

Overall, this is getting good. I'm hear both source and interpretation here, and you've improved the track so far. You're not done yet, tho.

Alright, switched the square for a saw, and varied the first part a little so it wouldn't repeat too much, but I'm not sure how the melodies tie together. I tweaked the snare and filters so they shouldn't be as painful. Not sure what you mean by pads, I never used pads... I have strings and a choir, but no pads.

Soo, if I submitted this now, would it even stand a snowball's chance in hell to survive the judges?

Actually I have one more update to make before I want the final feedback...I tweaked a few more things, and I moved everything to E. I had it based on C the whole time, and E just gives it that Halo feel, because that's what Marty O' Donnel actually used in his music. It also clears the bass up and makes everything sound overall better... funny how a few keys can change everything. Anyway, it's rendering now, it'll be a while, but I'll upload it tonight.