BGC Deals Thread (Aug 08)

Well, until I quit working at GC, I think I'm going to start posting good deals that I find right here, and I'll update from month to month.

Here's a few GC EXCLUSIVE* deals that are pretty amazing. And by the way, these prices are what you'd actually pay most places. Not MSRP:

NEWEST DEALS:

Sony Acid Pro 6 ($299) is $99 in store for September. Yes, that's right. Includes special version of Kompakt instrument. Yeah, you heard me. $99.

OLDER DEALS:

Big Fish Vir2 VI.ONE ($399) is a 20+ gig library that will run in Kontakt. Only $99. DEFINITELY worth the price. Just check out the audio samples.

Musiclab Real Guitar 2.2 ($159) for $99. Arguably the most realistic acoustic guitar VST I've come across. Includes midi loops.

Musiclab Real Strat 1.1 ($249) Pretty decent virtual Strat. Sounds great with plugins like GuitarRig and Amplitube. Also $99

Big Fish Power Producer's Bundle (page 10) - 10 discs that would normally run you between $80-90 each for just $199. I think Musician's Friend (owned by GC) has this deal as well.

Image-Line FL Studio 8 XXL bundle (page 10) ($299) includes 4 loop CD's from Big Fish Audio for free.

Native Instruments Komplete Synths (page 10) This is another uncanny deal. How about FOUR NI synths for the price of ONE? This bundle typically runs $399, and each individual synth is $199. You do the math.

Other deals worth mentioning:

Native Instruments Komplete 5 ($999) for $699 (or $779 from NI's site). If you buy each plug in seperately, it'll run you about $2500. Great Deal! And even though it says "Crossgrade", You do not have to own any NI products. It is the full version.

Arturia is offering a Buy-One-Get-One-Free sale until Aug 31st. If you love old school synth sounds, Arturia is what you need. I recommend Minimoog V and ARP 2600.

IK Multimedia Is having Buy One Get the Other Free for Amplitube Metal - Amplitube Jimi Hendrix, and Samplemoog - Sampleton.

Autotune 5 just dropped a ton within the last couple months. Originally $319 (still is on zzounds, unfortunately), it dropped to $199 a couple months back, and now it sits at just $149! For those of you who need a little help carrying your tune in your buckets, this is a good start! ;)

IK Multimedia Sampletank 2L ($269), Miroslav Philharmonic CE ($229), or Sonik Synth 2 ($329) for just $99 each!

I'll post more deals as I find them and update links when they're available.

*these deals are actually below MAP/floor pricing, which is why I think they're not on GC.com but only advertised in the "Buyer's Guides" and only available at these prices in stores.

thanks bgc

keep them coming

on the big fish stuff - i noticed there are loops. do you know how many loops there are relative to instruments? the site doesn't really say.

do you own it?

i don't really need the sounds but, it wouldn't hurt for the price.

...also, i'm not finding the deal for it on the website. i guess i would have to contact the store?

I don't own the Big Fish Producer's Bundle, but I do have a couple of the loop sets that are included. You definitely don't need a powerhouse computer to run any sort of loops.

Another cool thing about Big Fish loops is that they come in WAV, AIF, REX, and RX2 format, and also have a built in SAGE converter, meaning they'll be ready to use in Stylus RMX, which is AWESOME.

Also, the Loop bundle is just that--loops. If you want tons of sounds as in instruments, then buy the Vir2 VI ONE instrument, which is made by Big Fish.

And as I said in the last bit of the original post, the deals are for August, so you won't see them up on the GC.com site until at least 8/1.

ah i see. giving us the low down in advance. nice.

i was actually still referring to the VI ONE when i was asking about the big fish stuff, sorry i wasn't clear. i might do it. 20 gigs for a hundred bucks is nice...but that producers pack deal is pretty insane too. thats like 80% off.

..i just have to convince myself to use the hard drive space for the VI ONE sounds that probably aren't exactly first grade.

..i just have to convince myself to use the hard drive space for the VI ONE sounds that probably aren't exactly first grade.

they're good enough! this is actually probably a better library than sampletank, and I LOOOOVE sampletank. and since it's also a $400 library, considering you get about 3 times MORE content, you should DEFINITELY justify the HD space for the library. besides, you can always buy another hard drive. i just picked up a 500 GB at bestbuy for $99. also, if you listen to the audio demos on vir2's site, you'll hear some pretty quality stuff.

Do all GCs have all of the mentioned products or should I call and find out before visiting the store? The nearest one is about 45 minutes from my home so I don't want to waste a trip.

Yes, not all stores have the same inventory. it's a GREAT idea to call one first. and tell them to reserve it on a ticket for you if they have it. just be sure to get it the same day you ask them to reserve one for you.

see, my mac is loaded. i have 2 320 sample drives that i decided to stripe, and i am about to push them over the half way mark, which i never wanted to do. i should have planned better for expansion.

so i take it that you have it. what are the positive and negatives? and how many gigs of loops are there?

...and i just wanted to ask you about Guitar Center, because they gave me a super hard time about using my AES discount for 15% above cost. i have always gotten hooked up with deals there and this guy was telling me that they've changed their policy. its news to me.

thanks bgc. peace

GC's new policy is that they'll always meet or beat legitimate deals (i.e. sweetwater, sam ashe, etc). these are GC exclusive deals, meaning you can't get them anywhere else, so naturally, they're not going to give you any extra money off. so the short answer is NO, guitar center no longer allows employees to give discounts to people just because they want discounts.

besides, when that money was discounted before, it's we the employees who were paying for it, not the company. support the guys who take the time to talk to you about the gear you want/need. whether it's guitar center, zzounds, sweetwater, wherever. i absolutely HATE it when people come in, spend an hour or more of my time tapping into my realm of hard-earned knowledge, and then go buy from sweetwater because i can't (or won't) give them a few bucks off, or in some cases give them an item practically at cost.

anyway, that rant is not directed toward you, but take the message to heart. if a GC employee is not helpful, or is otherwise a douche, then don't buy from him. if he or she is helpful and works hard to find you the best deal and gives you good information, don't f*** them over just to save a few bucks online. they have to eat too.

but anyway, back on track, i do have the VI ONE - just bought it a couple days ago. i've yet to do anything super hardcore with it, but i can vouch that it's definitely the best VST i've bought for under $100, hands down. like i said, it pretty well outdoes sampletank, which is $400, which i also have.

big giant circles;434925]GC's new policy is that they'll always meet or beat legitimate deals (i.e. sweetwater, sam ashe, etc). these are GC exclusive deals, meaning you can't get them anywhere else, so naturally, they're not going to give you any extra money off. so the short answer is NO, guitar center no longer allows employees to give discounts to people just because they want discounts.

besides, when that money was discounted before, it's we the employees who were paying for it, not the company. support the guys who take the time to talk to you about the gear you want/need. whether it's guitar center, zzounds, sweetwater, wherever. i absolutely HATE it when people come in, spend an hour or more of my time tapping into my realm of hard-earned knowledge, and then go buy from sweetwater because i can't (or won't) give them a few bucks off, or in some cases give them an item practically at cost.

anyway, that rant is not directed toward you, but take the message to heart. if a GC employee is not helpful, or is otherwise a douche, then don't buy from him. if he or she is helpful and works hard to find you the best deal and gives you good information, don't f*** them over just to save a few bucks online. they have to eat too.

i feel you. i can totally see people taking advantage of it and hurting employees as well the companies products you sell. i was just shocked because at MTSU, my recording school, they told me its 15% above cost for kids in the program, as well as for Audio Engineering Society members. i'll have to rethink paying for that membership next semester.

but anyway, back on track, i do have the VI ONE - just bought it a couple days ago. i've yet to do anything super hardcore with it, but i can vouch that it's definitely the best VST i've bought for under $100, hands down. like i said, it pretty well outdoes sampletank, which is $400, which i also have.

well i'm going to hold out a bit longer, but your good remarks are leaning me towards doing it. when you do get further into it, please let me know what you think are its strong and weak points. i need to find some good woodwinds, and that demo was pretty nice. are the loops just a small part of the collection or is it pretty big chunk? appreciate it.

God that Komplete 5 bundle makes me wish I lived anywhere near a GC (or had the money for it for that matter). Big Fish sounds pretty sweet too.

actually, the komplete 5 bundle is not GC exclusive. that one would be better to buy through zzounds, because it's the same price there, and OCR gets a bit of commission for the sale if you buy it through the OCR zzounds link that djp has set up.

actually, the komplete 5 bundle is not GC exclusive. that one would be better to buy through zzounds, because it's the same price there, and OCR gets a bit of commission for the sale if you buy it through the OCR zzounds link that djp has set up.

The point is kind of moot since I don't have the money right now anyway, but I couldn't buy through zzounds even if I wanted to since they don't ship to Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so GC called me today and informed me that they just got VI.ONE in stock. I picked it up, brought it home, and can't figure out where the Kontakt player is located. On disc 1 there is a Service Center setup file but that is the only installer on all three discs. What's the deal?

there should be an installer that directs you for everything. installs the library and kontakt player if you don't already have it. then it will show up as a standalone and the usually plugs depending on what you tell it to install. you also have to drag the data files from each dvd to the library folder or you won't get any sounds.

note: for leopard you have to use a patch that can be downloaded at native instruments website. - i had to do the leopard thing so my installation was a bit dif.

Yeah, I just got my vi.one from GC and I'm having the same problem. The discs have the setup program, all the sample and loop files, but no installer program and no program for kontakt! I tried the disc on three different windows pcs (two running xp and one running vista) and no luck. WTF

Did you guys simply run the "VI ONE Setup.exe" file on disc 1? Kontakt is in there. It doesn't have a seperate install for the player.

VIONEinstall.jpg

*EDIT*

I suppose if for some crazy reason the above install file is not there, then you should contact Big Fish. Calling GC will do little good, because they're just the retailer, they won't have any clue why the install file is missing.