Star Fox 'Militiae Corneriae' (Corneria)

Demonstray

The track seems overcompressed, the pads duck when the bass plays. That's a sign of things being too loud. The guitar is overpowering anyway, considering the sound of the higher frequencies during the faster notes.

Anyway, the arrangement seems like it could work. It's hard to tell, since the track would ahve to be longer before I could say if it's repetitive and/or lacking cohesiveness.

I'm not gonna look up source, you'll have to provide a link for that yourself.

I think this could turn out good.

I guess I'll have to disagree a bit with Roz here. I can hear the source useage very clearly through your WIP (probably because I'm very familiar with it), but it's the production that needs a huge amount of work.

-Things are very sparse so far writing wise, especially durms. Occasional cymbal hit seems weird. Try to imagine if it really was a drummer playing - he wouldn't be satisfied with this type of intro.

-Strings sound like you're using squidfont, but their tone sounds really lo-fi (which is hard to avoid with that soundfont if that's what you're using). It's cool if you're going for that effect with them though, like an old vinyl playing them or something. If you don't want it, try brightening them with EQ or mix other patches in, mix in Cadenza strings, or something.

-Guitar is worst offender. Sounds like you're using slayer, which is...well... lets just say it's really hard to get any realistic sound from it. I don't know how to help you here.

Overall, the arrangement could work, but it's going to need a huge production lift to make it believable. Real-sounding guitar, interesting drum playing and production would be a must. Keep working on your production skills, man, you'll get the hang of things :)

Thanks fellas.

I'll try to add more source melody in there, and I've already taken action on that out-of-place cymbal. Also, yes, it was squidfont, and I've actually now switched to Cadenza strings, but I had to pan left in order for the strings to actually reach both speakers. Oh well, not a big deal.

Also, I'm actually using Guitar Rig 3's Metal > Aggressive setting for the guitar, and luckily it's just a map-out of when I'm actually going to record my own guitar playing in Sonar LE. I'm just trying to find out what would sound best when I'm playing it.

I really appreciate your advice, guys. :smile: I'll work hard on it.

• 2 months later...

Ohohoho, guess who's back?!

That's right, I got back on this pile o' crap after realizing it still existed.

But this time, I finished the song and would like to hear what everyone thinks of it...advice on production would be a HUGE help if necessary.

I will be helpful here and link to source for clarification:

Star Fox - Corneria

And, finally, my mix:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8TNMPSNP

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this.

Guitars... sorry man, they're not pretty. The low guitar is okay, but the higher ones are, to be blunt, just terrible. I bet the actual guitar remixers would be able to help you more with the sound if you were using real guitars for this.

Something I've done when wanting guitars is to use a pretty much clean sample or similar sounding synth and applying various distortion effects and amp simulation on it. Half way through this old wip of mine there's some fake guitars where I've used that process. Can't promise it'd work well enough to get this passable in the eyes of the Js but it should at least get you a step in the right direction.

I think the arrangement would sound great if the production stuff were handled better. You could show the arrangement for the guitar folks in #ocrwip, they might like it and provide you with recordings. No promises, tho.

I think you won't get far with this until you get those guitars sounding good, whether you go with a synth guitar sound, try to get it as real as possible, or get someone to record it for you. Still, droppping the volume on the high guitars should clean up the track a bit, and it sounds a bit like it could use just that. They're pretty loud, I can hear some compression lifting when they drop out towards the end.

Sorry I can't be of more help atm. Good luck with the track.