The "Art" of Video Game Music in America and Japan

TheSnowStorm

While I was listening to a live orchestra arrangement of Fire Emblem 4 music, something popped in my mind; Why is that in Japan that video game music is extremely popular, so popular to the point where orchestras in that nation would arrange and perform music for video games while in America, video game music does not get that much respect (I'm excluding concerts such as Video Games Live for this topic.).

I know that video game music is gaining some respect in America, but you don't often see famous orchestras like the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra or the Chicago Orchestra perform video game music but Japanese orchestras such as the New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra see something in video game music?

That's was just on my mind. I can not think of anything else on this subject.

While I was listening to a live orchestra arrangement of Fire Emblem 4 music, something popped in my mind; Why is that in Japan that video game music is extremely popular, so popular to the point where orchestras in that nation would arrange and perform music for video games while in America, video game music does not get that much respect (I'm excluding concerts such as Video Games Live for this topic.).

I know that video game music is gaining some respect in America, but you don't often see famous orchestras like the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra or the Chicago Orchestra perform video game music but Japanese orchestras such as the New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra see something in video game music?

That's was just on my mind. I can not think of anything else on this subject.

That is because the Japanese people are completely obsessed with entertainment, far more than we are. Now I'm not saying this is always a bad thing. Indeed, look at the incredible music inspired by video games that come from Japan. They're crazy about it. They make masterpieces from video games in every way imaginable.

They do the same with every other kind of entertainment they can get their hands on. Have you seen some of the crazy shit they do for television? The strange and bizarre, the funny stuff that just doesn't seem to have a purpose?

America has it's own kind of crazy, completely different, but just as crazy. It doesn't have the same passions as Japan. It both prevails and fails for this. In it's own right, Japan has it's high points. Video game music and recreating it in grand symphonies is one of them. America will probably never have the same incentive to create such incredible masterpieces, and for that, it's one big disappointment. Still, I do get my laughs when I see those bizarre Japanese tv shows...

The Seattle Symphony did the PLAY! show in Seattle and it was incredibly meh, except for a few parts. It's sad, because the Seattle Symphony Orchestra usually rules - it's probably just because they were unfamiliar with the source and undoubtedly didn't have enough time to practice. I've also never seen them use a fake electric guitar on a Korg Triton. Unbelievably horrid. Also, the arrangements sucked, whoever did them needs to go back to their old day job.

With the exception of a few japanese games [pretty much anything by Michiru Yamane, Yuzo Koshiro, or Fumito Tamayama], my favourite game music is from America or Europe [Tim Follin, Jeroen Tel, Rob Hubbard, Chris Huelsbeck, etc], even though the ratio of good to bad is way higher. So, I don't really know why Japanese videogame music is more popular than American or European soundtracks, except that the Japanese are the fucking masters of merch. If it's good enough they'll sell the OST for even more cash. You can also get model kids, wallscrolls, posters, windows apps, body pillows, mousepads with a game character's tits on them, etc.

The Seattle Symphony did the PLAY! show in Seattle and it was incredibly meh, except for a few parts. It's sad, because the Seattle Symphony Orchestra usually rules - it's probably just because they were unfamiliar with the source and undoubtedly didn't have enough time to practice.

Ah man. Is that so, huh? It could like you stated, the lack of knowledge of the original source material. Maybe the PLAY! was a little side project and The Seattle Symphony wanted to go back to their original works.

New Japan Philharmonic? They're not the ones that did the Nintendo Power smash bros album are they? Because they sucked ;)

I seen grade school children arrange, conduct, and even perform better than what the New Japan Philharmonic did with that crap. Sweet god, NJP should be ashamed of themselves! =P

But yeah, I don't see why you're excluding shows like VGL. And I think Play! uses local orchestras, so there's that.

I excluded shows like VGL amd Play! to set a mindset that video game music haven't gotten that respect in America that American orchestras will do video game music (which is obviously not true).

diddo on the chicago pops playing final fantasy distant worlds

nobuo was even their himself

- i agree that they are more open minded there and that more people get into and socially accept it better, but i recall reading something with nobuo saying that most people that like his music don't even know his name. so to balance things out i think we hold music up higher in our society. anyone else have any insight on this form japan?

oh, and i also remember hearing that they teach the theme of love (ff4) to kids in school

...ahh, bad memories of yellow submarine