OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"

One of my all-time favorites. I love the instruments chosen, the buildup and progression from acoustic to electric, and most of all the vocals and the vocal performance. The performance is emotive and honest, and (for all its criticism) adds a rawness that absolutely compliments the lyrics. I wouldn't change anything in this song. I'm really glad I have this song and can listen to it regularly, and I hope silent keeps making remixes.

• 7 months later...

Way back in the day when I first discovered this site this was one of the first songs I downloaded. Final Fantasy 4? The Main Theme? Vocals? Oooooh yeses...

A lot of people have said they don't care for silent's voice/vocals. While it may be true he's not the best vocalist out there, I found his vocal tone to be pleasant. However I'm far less harsh on male vocals than female, so yeah, take it how you will. I found that the vocals and song itself had quite a bit of emotion to it, rather than feeling stale like some songs with vocals do. Things can be sang well, but it means nothing to me if there's nothing behind it, if that makes sense.

At a length of 7 minutes, any song runs the risk of being boring or repetitive, but I think this is really easy to listen to. There's enough variation to it that it doesn't make me sigh and cut it off half-way through. Vocals are both soft and later more 'belting' and emotional, there's guitar played in an acoustic way and even a rawk solo. (The guitar playing, also, is pretty awesome in my opinion)

Granted there's some stuff that could stand to be fine tuned in this remix... HOWEVER! Silent did do just that with Over and Under, which was posted by him somewhere in this thread. A few pages back I think? It addresses some of the issues with guitar and notably with the vocals, and is the version I've kept and the version that still remains in my Final Fantasy music folder. To this day, I still listen to this song every now and again.

On it's own, it's a great piece of music. If you're a big fan of Final Fantasy 4 and the FF4 OST? It's a must have for your collection.

new versions of this song are here:

[url - doesn't work]http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=307

and here:

http://www.sectionz.com/detail.asp?rtype=mp3&szid=10612

enjoy!

Found it. Yeah, I like this one better. Not sure about some of the vocal harmonies as a stylistic choice, but it's much more pleasant overall. The vocals at the ending could be stronger, too, though the performance overall is certainly more pleasant.

Its arrangement is brilliant, however. Despite the fact that I've heard FFIV's main theme a billion and a half times, this piece keeps it from getting stale, and its more original sections mesh well with the source.

I usually skipped over this track whenever I came to it - it's not bad, but it wasn't convincing enough for me. This new version is pretty tight, and I'll probably add it to my current playlist.

• 2 months later...

This piece is really amazing, the only thing that I am hesitant to say but I feel must is that, the vocals unfortunately bring it down slightly. The lyrics are great and so is the playing but throughout it I think that it would sound better with different voice. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but needless to say I mean no insult to his voice, while it is good, I don't think it's the best for this song. I am generally picky about the vocalists of songs though.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this song, but like some others have said, the vocals bring it down for me. I feel with the right singer it could really bring it up a notch. Everything else is great though. Music and lyrics themselves.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"