Hardware to Record Guitars

Ransom

Hey, OCR. While I've been practicing guitar for a good while, I've never properly recorded anything. I own an acoustic, an electric, and a bass guitar, though I'm mostly concerned with recording using the last two. I've seen ¼ inch jack-to-USB connections online before, such as this and this. Are these the best means to record my guitars to my computer? If not, what's a good alternative?

What other equipment would I need, if any? Someone mentioned that I'd need a preamp if I were to record my bass.

Lastly, of the necessary equipment, can anyone recommend a good product of each? Money's a little tight for me, so I want to be sure I get the most bang for my buck of whatever I buy.

Any replies would much appreciated.

I've seen ¼ inch jack-to-USB connections online before, such as this and this.

I didn't know they even made cool stuff like that!

I've used a mixer and Right-Left-to-microphone adapter on a PC before. It worked well enough. Problem is, you need a mixer at that point, and that can be pricey. On the plus size, you have a lot of control over input/output and other variables. I was working with an acoustic(/electric) also, so there wasn't a lot of reverb or other effects to take into consideration.

I'll have to look into those USB connectors!

I have this, and I made some pretty quality recordings using that. And i'm a tube purist too. It was $99, but it's now discontinued for some reason. Here's the silver one, which you can upgrade to the gold edition for free anyway:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-?sku=706520

It includes a crapload of amp effects for guitar and bass, and preamps for vocals and other intruments. Here's a short recording I made of an original song using that product, recording into Audacity, with 2 rhythm tracks, a lead track, bass track and a drum machine track, with no post-production:

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76342/Power%20Mix%20Demo.mp3

It's metal, but I've also gotten great tones out of it for blues, rock and punk too.

I was told that a good mic is best, lets you take your tone straight from the instrument/amp, but I can't afford one to tell you if it's as effective or not.

I'm not sure if that'd be effective, since I don't have a proper recording studio. I'd be worried about background noise and echoes, though, again, I'm not experienced with this sort of stuff, so I may be wrong.

I'm not sure if that'd be effective, since I don't have a proper recording studio. I'd be worried about background noise and echoes, though, again, I'm not experienced with this sort of stuff, so I may be wrong.
Yeah, if you don't have a acoustically-sound room, it's not gonna turn out that great with a mic, especially if you're in a completely cube room, because bass frequencies get trapped in the corners. If you're on a tight budget, DI is the way to go. Plus, good mics cost at least $200+, and you'd need a crapload of other gear to go with it too.

I have this, and I made some pretty quality recordings using that. And i'm a tube purist too. It was $99, but it's now discontinued for some reason. Here's the silver one, which you can upgrade to the gold edition for free anyway:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-?sku=706520

It includes a crapload of amp effects for guitar and bass, and preamps for vocals and other intruments. Here's a short recording I made of an original song using that product, recording into Audacity, with 2 rhythm tracks, a lead track, bass track and a drum machine track, with no post-production:

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76342/Power%20Mix%20Demo.mp3

It's metal, but I've also gotten great tones out of it for blues, rock and punk too.

I second this. Not only does it work great as a guitar preamp, the GearBox pretty much doubles as an ASIO soundcard.

The only thing is the monkey crud is a pain in the ass to register/activate.

• 2 weeks later...

It shames me to say this, because it's probably the "worst possible solution," but I record all my guitar stuff with a Boss RC-50 Loop Station, running my guitar directly into it, then uploading the WAV to my computer, and running it through various amp simulators. Even still, it sounds pretty decent.

(http://www.looperman.com/tracks_detail.php?tid=12195 for an example; and, yes, I know my horns are off at the end.)

I've read and heard a lot of good things on the PRESONUS FIREBOX. It has some award winning preamps, and many reviews have said its the best you can get in the 300 range. I was looking for something and went with this, though I have not had the time to really put it to use yet so I can't speak from personal experience. Though that will change soon...

hey Lunar. Regarding the GearBox, would you still need an amp with that? could u, lets say, plug your guitar into a pedal (or two) then from the pedal to the gearbox? or do you still need the amp?

The point of GearBox is to bypass amplifiers. And depending on the type of pedal, you probably wouldn't need it considering all of the built in effects.

What I've seen with gearbox, in relation to pedals, is that the only real reason you'd want one is if you would activate it on the fly, with your feet. Wah, or delay (if I want something super spacey), would probably be the only ones I'd ever use through it, and I'd just record my distorted and clean tracks seperately.

It does have distortion... it has A LOT of features that are really awesome. My only complaint was that I couldn't completely change the order of my effects; you can change the order, but only so much. Also, you can't double up effects (I play a lot of dub, and I sometimes want to double up my delay.)

Even still, it's a GREAT program.

I have other means of effects. My only need is a new interface that will minimize that damned buzzing noise I've been having since I started recording 10 frickin' years ago!

I'm starting to believe it's coming from my amplifier-to-soundcard interface. Too much signal from too much power being transfered. (Power from the amp combined with the power supply of the computer causing an overflow of signal. Or maybe I'm getting mixed up with something.) Either way, it's definately being caused by my form of input. I'm almost certain. Hopefully the Gearbox will solve this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend any of the recent amp modelling hardware, like Line 6 POD series or GT6 / from BOSS. Be advised that you must work to get your tone, you will have to read the (over 100 pages) manuals and spent a lot of time tweaking. But the result will be incredible.

Think about your needs. Will you be recording just guitar? What about vocals, and bass, or other isntruments? Will you be playing live with it?

The are some products, like the POD X3 live, that will excel both live and recording guitar, bass and vocals, though it is a bit expensive. Something like gearbox or guitar port will be good to record guitar at home.