Dead Space

Zombie

Looked around but didn't see a thread for this fantastic game. Anyone else here pick it up?

I'm just over an hour in and I love it. Take Resident Evil, and through in the atmosphere of say, Doom or Bioshock, and this is what you get. I don't think I've jumped or yelped so much in a game in my life... definitely one of the scariest games I have ever played, but that's just me.

You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Space_(video_game)

Still unsure which version of the game I'm getting (PS3 or PC). Not exactly a big fan of shooters on consoles cuz I absolutely suck at controller related aiming. On the flip side, my computer is getting kinda dated and I dunno if it'll run the game at full potential. They have barely made even a wimper about the PC version so all I can really do is wait for reviews before I decide.

Still unsure which version of the game I'm getting (PS3 or PC). Not exactly a big fan of shooters on consoles cuz I absolutely suck at controller related aiming. On the flip side, my computer is getting kinda dated and I dunno if it'll run the game at full potential. They have barely made even a wimper about the PC version so all I can really do is wait for reviews before I decide.

Well, I bought the 360 version, and the controls are fantastic. They're more like RE4 or Gears of War than an FPS and the game's not in first-person anyway, so I'm not sure what it'll play like on the PC.

Also, these guys pull some pretty genius moves to freak you out. Awesome game so far.

I might want to rent it or just let the ultra gaming nerd I know play it and let me watch... sorta like with Silent Hill Homecoming..

From the looks of the videos, the game just seems too scary. The sound design just sounds awesome (lots of breathing-inside-suit stuff that just comes off as creepy, even if it's by the main character) and it could even win some sound-design awards by the end of the year.

This game is basically what Doom 3 was supposed to be. Enemies flanking you smartly, truly disturbing monster designs and FLASHLIGHTS. Also the action doesn't get interrupted by PDA-bullshit like in Doom 3.

I like it, though I've yet to find it actually scary. They need to take a few lessons from the Silent Hill series if they want any sequel to be a truly frightening experience. Less reliance on monsters popping out at you would be nice since it seems to happen every five minutes, before the games atmosphere has a chance to really build some tension. I think Silent Hill was an excellent example of a series that build the tension until you almost can't stand it, and even when they gave you some relief in the form of monsters, they knew how to dial it back up again in an instant.

Like I said though, it's still a fun game, and I do like it. Maybe I'm just a little jaded when it comes to scares since I've been playing survival horror games since I was 11, and watching horror movies since before that.

I own it and I love it to pieces. Well, hopefully not ACTUALLY to pieces, because then I couldn't play, but I digress.

I'm saving an actual review for until I finish it (or at least get far enough to get a good idea of where they're taking it), but I can say that I haven't had a gaming experience like this in the shooter genre since the first Half Life.

I would also say that it's scary in the same way Half Life is. It's not scary in the "I can't play this" way that the first Fatal Frame achieves. It's more scary in a sort of "I'm always tense but DEAR LORD THE ADRENALINE RUSH!" way. It's also fairly disturbing at times (at many times) so that you have a lot of moments of tension that ease into a slight unease.

I think the main thing that keeps it from being TRULY scary is that it's simply too much fun to play to be scared. I've jumped quite a few times, but I'm having SOOO much fun that nothing could stop me from playing more.

Beat it yesterday. Totally incredibly superbly amazing gaming experience. The story drags you in, the sound design is terrifying, the graphics are absolutely top notch, and the gameplay is addictive and very original. Definitely scared the shit out of me quite a few times, too.

Already started playing through it a second time in an attempt to charge through and hit some of the achievements I missed the first time through, and then I'm going to commence playing it on Impossible difficulty to try to get that achievement as well, and also to REALLY challenge myself. On Medium, I think I only got killed by enemies (as opposed to puzzles/environment) maybe twice.

What I love most about this game is how it's so damn mysterious, that you feel like you can't tell anyone ANYTHING about what you've encountered or what's happened without feeling like you're gonna spoil the whole experience for them. I refrained from telling my brother anything about it since he's planning on buying it, besides telling him that it's incredible.

Definitely has good replay value, too, as far as I'm concerned. See below:

SPOILERS FOLLOW ----- HIGHLIGHT TO READ

After beating the game, you're presented with the option to play through a second time with all of your equipment, plus the added bonus of being awarded 50,000 credits for beating the game, as well as 10 modules for upgrading weapons and equipment. It also unlocks the Military Suit schematic in your inventory, which makes you look like a total badass and boosts your armor even more. All of this combined gives you the perfect opportunity to try to get the achievements for beating the game using only the Plasma Cutter, as well as for maxing out all of your equipment and weapons in terms of upgrades, which is otherwise impossible to do on a single playthrough.

I only had to say 'ew' about this one:

http://kotaku.com/5065452/dead-space-team-studied-car-wreck-victims

I can't figure out why artists can't figure out how to make a zombie alien.

I would say that's a great thing that they chose to further the experience by finding actual imagry of what they wanted. It's not as if they actually used a particular victims' likeliness (or what's left of said vic) and just plastered it in the game.

Why should this be of any real concern when some of the greatest horror flicks like Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and many more have major characters that are based off real life murderers like Ed Gein for example? We can sensationalize some one like Ed Gein and yet we feel bothered when a game uses imagry to portray gore..?

>:L

For those seriously bothered by Deadspace, go watch Dead Alive aka Brain Dead. Trust me you'll get over the gore soon enough after that; not to mention some good laughs :lol:

Another ridiculous slasher-flick is Hatchet, I hated it for a few reasons but in the end it truly felt like a throwback to the old days. Something of a Megaman9 in the movie horror flicks except not as good imo...

I could be wrong, but I don't specifically see anyone in this thread saying they were bothered by the gore...

...then again, apparently the governments of China, Germany, and Japan WERE. And it IS a pretty fucking violent game. Probably the most violent I've EVER seen, at least in terms of how frighteningly realistic it is. In Chapter 2, the guy that gets killed by the first necromorph baby that you encounter? WOW. After he dies, if you walk up to the glass, you can see the blood and gunk still dripping down it. Crazy stuff.

I'm about halfway through my second playthrough of the game. Only a few more particular achivements I need to snag before I can just work on breezing through the rest of the game to get the One-Gun achievement. And then ooooooon to Impossible mode.

This game kicks copious amounts of ass. Let me start off by saying that I seriously can't play horror games. I can't. I'm a raging pussy. Despite buying Resident Evil 4 for both PS2 and Wii, I couldn't get into it. Couple the feeling of dread I get while playing with the shitty controls and the "should I have just used that med-kit? I probably shouldn't. I should probably restart. I will probably need that later. Should I restart? Well, I shouldn't have used those two bullets on one enemy. I'll need those later. I need to restart. I don't want to restart. Dammit! I need to restart!" feeling I get while playing survival horror games. Well, damn it all, this game is so compelling that I feel, dare I say, compelled to finish it. Its taking me some time; I just got to the third chapter, but I am forcing myself to play through because the game is just that good. I had a similar feeling when I was playing Bioshock the first time. I couldn't stand playing the scary moments, but the game was so damn good I couldn't help but soldier through.

I haven't been terribly interested in the story so far, mostly because I watched those prequel animations that basically seem to have spelled all of the interesting stuff out. I hope there is some sort of twist coming up, but right now, the gameplay is compelling enough to get me through it.

LOTS OF STUFF

In terms of Resident Evil 4, just have some quick reflexes and learn crowd control from the LAPD, trust me you'll do fine once those are accomplished, also learn using the knife...

Also quit being, as you put it, "a raging pussy", because even a raging pussy can play through Fatal Frame 1/2, Silent Hill 1/2/3/4/HC, Resident Evil 0/Original/REmake/2/3/4/UC, Call of Chuthulu, Clock Tower ect...

I would say that's a great thing that they chose to further the experience by finding actual imagry of what they wanted. It's not as if they actually used a particular victims' likeliness (or what's left of said vic) and just plastered it in the game.

Why should this be of any real concern when some of the greatest horror flicks like Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and many more have major characters that are based off real life murderers like Ed Gein for example? We can sensationalize some one like Ed Gein and yet we feel bothered when a game uses imagry to portray gore..?

>:L

For those seriously bothered by Deadspace, go watch Dead Alive aka Brain Dead. Trust me you'll get over the gore soon enough after that; not to mention some good laughs :lol:

Another ridiculous slasher-flick is Hatchet, I hated it for a few reasons but in the end it truly felt like a throwback to the old days. Something of a Megaman9 in the movie horror flicks except not as good imo...

I honestly couldn't care less about the gore, though I agree with some that the gore factor in Dead Space is almost bewildering. So many GIBS. Other than that, I just think it's a bit messed up to research dead people, whom have no say in how the art is used. Likenesses or not. I would simply think it doesn't take much to research it otherwise. But whatever.

As for Dead Alive, yeah, there's a tons of gore in it but it was like 99% comedy. heh

Ohh, that movie made me so mad. I remember getting a letter in the mail one day offering me free tickets to see a pre-screening on this movie, and I was so excited because I had thought it had something to do with the Gary Paulsen novel. But then when I looked it up on IMDB and found out it was some stupid slasher movie I just threw the offer away out of rage.

Practically every other thread on it's IMDB message board at the time were people just like me who were upset that it didn't have anything to do with the book.

Ohh, that movie made me so mad. I remember getting a letter in the mail one day offering me free tickets to see a pre-screening on this movie, and I was so excited because I had thought it had something to do with the Gary Paulsen novel. But then when I looked it up on IMDB and found out it was some stupid slasher movie I just threw the offer away out of rage.

Practically every other thread on it's IMDB message board at the time were people just like me who were upset that it didn't have anything to do with the book.

Just go watch Dead Alive, DON'T CONFUSE IT FOR "DEAD OR ALIVE", you'll get some good laughs to make up for the disappointment you experienced. :lol:

Or you know, try watching Phantasm for a fairly good flick.

Agh, enough about movies! This thread is about Dead Space. Christ.

Anyone else superbly excited about the potential downloadable content to be made available in the future? So far they've only got the two suits up there for download, but the fact that it mentions downloadable content in the instruction manual itself tells me that they had plans all along, so... here's hoping... EPISODIC CONTENT?

In a similar vain, I'm not sure which I'd be MORE excited for: a prequel or a sequel. The prequel department's pretty much been covered by the comics and the soon-to-be-released animated film (which I'm definitely going to buy), but I think they could still do some pretty cool shit with it. Buuuuuuuut... I think in the end, I'd rather see a sequel.

I'd rather see something episodic sequel/continuation rather than prequel imo... Resident Evil's prequel (Zero) cleared up alot of info on the series more or less and it worked for it since there was nothing else. With extra media coming for Deadspace, a prequel then animation/comics can ruin the experience; at least for me...

In terms of a sequel. it better be done the way the Siren Retranslation did, (already have them ready to be downloaded after purchase) and hopefully not go through the long waits Valve had been doing with HL2's episodes...

Anyone else superbly excited about the potential downloadable content to be made available in the future? So far they've only got the two suits up there for download, but the fact that it mentions downloadable content in the instruction manual itself tells me that they had plans all along, so... here's hoping... EPISODIC CONTENT?

I haven't even looked at the downloadable content yet. Are those two suits available to download for free? I'd probably be willing to pay for things like Episodic content, but I won't part with my money for something as simple as a new suit or items. I guess I'm just spoiled by companies like Valve who give stuff like that for free.

One suit is free for a limited time, and the other one can be purchased for 200 Microsoft points. They both are Level 5 suits, and as such have the same design as the one in the game, but have different color schemes.

The (currently) free one is white-ish with green suit-lights (ie 360 colors) and the other one is red with a yellow scorpion insignia on the helmet.

However, once you download them, they're available from in-game stores for 0 credits (assuming you already have the Level 5 suit purchased, I'm guessing), and you can swap between them at will.

Checked them out last night. The free one on the PSN is black with blue lights on the front of the helmet. I think the one for purchase is the same as the one you can purchase on the 360. I find the idea of paying $3 for an item in the game with no real purpose other than a new colour scheme to be rather rediculous. The real shame is there are obviously enough people paying for crap like that that companies keep doing it. The limited time only suit for free is a nice idea though.

Oddly enough, I can confirm that you don't need the level 5 suit in the game to get it. It just shows up in the store for free and can be used immediately. Kind of game breaking for anyone who uses it right away on a first playthrough. I suppose not that many people will do it though, either to keep the challenge there or because they'll get the game after the two week period is up.

Hey I just wanted to make an announcement that you're probably better off avoiding the PC version of Deadspace. It's not that it looks like shit or the game itself is bad...

It's on the report that for the most part, the controls are shit, even with a game pad with usb connection. It seems that the controls are not fluid enough; reportedly lags a second to a quarter before a move is made.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42424/Dead-Space-PC-Review

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-pc-version-perplexed-with-control-problems-and-issues-not-fluid-enough

Too bad... especially since it seems based on the following excerpt There won't be a patch to fix it...

Dead Space for PC is an equivalent experience to that on consoles. The controls are different and customizable, but we feel it’s in the best ability for the players to match what the console experience is like.