Beating a video game leaves you dead

Incronaut

Hey, so I've recently come upon a gaming void, where I dont know what game to play next... I'm sorta sick of dedicating my life to a video game, just to have beaten it (to death) and be like "that was great... sooooo.. now what?"

like I'm just sick of playing a video game just so it stays in the dust, but with that being said, my choices of video games get a little slim, because im either stuck playing some pointless online game, or an mmorpg where in the end im basically going in circles trying to chase for the highest gear or rank, which is cool, i totally wanna be one of those guys that reaches the top.. the only thing is... getting to the top is just another way of "beating" the game, and theres always those guys that has no lives and will always be able to "beat" you in that top level just cause you dont spend every waking minute like they do on the game...

i was just wondering how you guys felt about this, what your solutions are, etc

Umm I rarely buy new games, Ill wait a few months and but it on ebay, then once I finish It I put it back up, for what I got it for. This helps me because I never feel like I wasted my money, some times I even make a few bucks off a game.

Maybe games are not your thing any more, I hate to say it but you could just of outgrown them...

go get a Sim-ish game or a 4x strategy game. something that'll give you a few hours of replay value.

or there's always puzzle games! idunno, I find it's better to occupy your time with a few games on and off than just focusing on one single particular game until you beat it to death and back. The old DOS game Darklands can keep me busy for countless hours because I just wander around killing stuff and doing odd jobs here and there in towns.

Try out The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (as you are into RPGs) and, if you want a challenge, download a mod (like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul) to up the ante or add quests/features/items. I've put in over 200 hours on the vanilla version and found it very fun.

Of course, that can get old too so I would also suggest something creative and different like Animal Crossing (creativity = making designs, home decor, etc.).

I've run into this problem often myself. Beating Deus Ex back in college left me wandering in search of something that could compare to that experience (I'm still looking BTW). The same thing happened when I plowed through HL2.

Obviously having good friends makes up for most of it, but I've found that engaging my creativity helpes me fill that inevitable void that comes after having ended a fantastic experience. Nothing helps quench that thirst like plotting out a new storyline in my head, or writing up a concept for a new character design etc. That's what works for me. Of course, my talents in the visual arts are meager, and in the case of music they are non-existent; That just leaves me with writing.

Granted, it often happens that whatever project I begin or pick back up eventually falls to the wayside following the release of my next obsession. Hmm, I'm not sure which I prefer: going back to working on a project because my new game is over, or dropping a project becuase a new came is released.

Hey, so I've recently come upon a gaming void, where I dont know what game to play next... I'm sorta sick of dedicating my life to a video game, just to have beaten it (to death) and be like "that was great... sooooo.. now what?"

like I'm just sick of playing a video game just so it stays in the dust, but with that being said, my choices of video games get a little slim, because im either stuck playing some pointless online game, or an mmorpg where in the end im basically going in circles trying to chase for the highest gear or rank, which is cool, i totally wanna be one of those guys that reaches the top.. the only thing is... getting to the top is just another way of "beating" the game, and theres always those guys that has no lives and will always be able to "beat" you in that top level just cause you dont spend every waking minute like they do on the game...

i was just wondering how you guys felt about this, what your solutions are, etc

I feel a lot like how you do about games. Besides, I am a creative person, so I can't spend my time enjoying someone else's creation for long periods of time.

My only reason for enjoying video games is to catch the experience, if you know what I mean. It's about a vibe, the vibe of enjoyment, but I can't/don't/won't play games any more than a few hours in one week.

I find myself playing games for the sake of competition, but that's about it. Even then I have to put the stick down because I long to be creative.

For the first time ever, I actually have games lying about that I stopped playing before finishing them.

I don't know why this has happened. Maybe the challenge is gone or games just ended up disappointing me.

The only games I consistently play these days are 'The red star' and 'Halo PC'. The first because with that game there is no point of 'okay I played it to death...now what?'. The latter because online play is still great, altough I am trying to play less because of some personal issues that resulted from too much computer time.

For me, the answer is simply to keep playing those good ol' classics to get my gaming fix. It's just not as great as it used to be to get a new game and spend days on it (lately, every game I touch is over within hours).

I blame the new trends of quick fixes and short lived games being mass-produced.

I do love occasionally taking a week "off" to just go through Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia again :D

second post, sorry!

For the first time ever, I actually have games lying about that I stopped playing before finishing them.

I don't know why this has happened. Maybe the challenge is gone or games just ended up disappointing me. ...

For me, the answer is simply to keep playing those good ol' classics to get my gaming fix. It's just not as great as it used to be to get a new game and spend days on it (lately, every game I touch is over within hours).

What's up with that? I, too, get bored with a lot of games before reaching the end. For example: in FFVII/Earthbound/Dragon Quest: Swords/Secret of Mana/Jet Force Gemini (and I regret that some of those examples are classics) I got to the end and felt no need to beat them. As a completionist, I may have played too much, too fast. I do pick up my favorites again and again, though.

... I've found that engaging my creativity helpes me fill that inevitable void that comes after having ended a fantastic experience. Nothing helps quench that thirst like plotting out a new storyline in my head, or writing up a concept for a new character design etc. That's what works for me. Of course, my talents in the visual arts are meager, and in the case of music they are non-existent; That just leaves me with writing.

I've been struggling to find a balance between writing and gaming for a long time. When I spend hours playing, I feel like I've wasted perfectly good writing time (which seems like work compared to playing). And picking up something I've beaten already is almost like killing time until a new game is released.

second post, sorry!

What's up with that? I, too, get bored with a lot of games before reaching the end. For example: in FFVII/Earthbound/Dragon Quest: Swords/Secret of Mana/Jet Force Gemini (and I regret that some of those examples are classics) I got to the end and felt no need to beat them. As a completionist, I may have played too much, too fast. I do pick up my favorites again and again, though.

I've been struggling to find a balance between writing and gaming for a long time. When I spend hours playing, I feel like I've wasted perfectly good writing time (which seems like work compared to playing). And picking up something I've beaten already is almost like killing time until a new game is released.

As for the first part: I think maybe I had certain expectations that wern't met. The games I left unfinished happened to be PS2 RPG's which I got against better judgment, altough I was hoping that they'd prove my original view on popular titles wrong.

Perhaps I really want that amazing experience I had with other games back too bad, but there's not a lot of games that can fulfill that need. When I try to just enjoy a game for what it is, I just...dunno, can't.

As for the second part, I can totally relate to that as well. I'm wasting precious writing time EVERY day, and not just because of games.

Darn distractions!

It's like I have to force myself to do something I really, leally like to do :D

This got me thinking though...If we always have this problem between games...what would the end-all of all games look like? Like, what would be the game that after finishing it makes you say: "okay, I got everything I could possibly ever get out of a game. I never have to play a game again...ever! and then inspires you to go out and find a cure for all the world's problems? Whaha

The wingless isn't funny.

On topic, I've been experiencing a similar issue over the summer. I've been a lifelong gamer and although I want to stay in today's scene, I really have way too many videogames already and cannot afford time and money to buy new. Eventually, and with much irrational pain, I decided to sell a whole bunch I didn't plan on playing and pretty much sticking to what I have from now on, with some exceptions along the way.

Ultimately it just comes down to what you're comfortable with. I'm comfortable with what I've always been playing and don't want to feel pressured to play more than I can realistically handle. If you're comfortable buying, beating and then selling a game right back, go ahead and do it. They're just games after all.