DKC winky remix 2

HoboKa

(I'm a die-hard fan of DKC and the mines music, btw)

Wow! I really like where this rearrangement is going. The melodic interpretations are amazing. 1:15 and on is awesome. That flute backed up by the harmonics really makes a powerful arrangement. The second half is definitely far superior to the beginning. The intro works, but it does not compliment the middle section. That part at 0:32 is a little awkward, imo. Work on that. By 1:08 things really start to sound cool. Until then, though, a lot is lacking. Try giving the listener a glimpse at the intro of what is coming on later in the song. Try some 7th chords at the beginning instead of the overwhelming amount of triad chords.

Like I said, from 1:08 and on is spectacular. If I were you, I would change the majority of the intro, though. Don't scrap it. Just embelish it to make it sound a lot better than it does right now.

Sweet song. Keep working on it.

-J3

Thanks J3. Yeah this is gonna need a ton of work. I'm gonna borrow elements from my old collaboration with Rozo, which unfortunately went belly up, and add those in. I've changed the intro to sound more subtle, though I'm not sure about cohesiveness. Stick around for an update soonish. And thanks for listening/critiquing :D

Nice tom work. If they had more reverb it'd be a total blast from the 80's ;)

The flutes sound very DKCesque.

The way the bass is mixed sounds much better in version 2. Stuck out way too much before.

In the part(s?) you added, the bassline loses too much definition I think.

Some other balancing issues, like the detuned line coming in at the end being too loud/too rich in frequencies.

The overall sound feels quite retro, but meshes together very well. Did you put reverb on the master or use any other master effects to have it that way?

I was waiting for an industrial pipe noise (clang!) as part of the percussion. Very nice synergy. I agree on the panpipes.

Maybe increase the volume? Or bring some instrumentation to the forefront for sonic variety. Regardless, it's really good as is.

The way the bass is mixed sounds much better in version 2. Stuck out way too much before.

In the part(s?) you added, the bassline loses too much definition I think.

Some other balancing issues, like the detuned line coming in at the end being too loud/too rich in frequencies.

The overall sound feels quite retro, but meshes together very well. Did you put reverb on the master or use any other master effects to have it that way?

No reverb on the master, just a real good drum synth :D. I've worked out the awful dissonance/detuning stuff at the end and made it much less in-your-face. I'll get the update up soon enough. Thx for comments Nasemann :D

It's hard to get a grip of the beats in this. Classic HoboKa problem. Keeping the drumfills a bit more structured and using them not just as filler but to serve the purpose of telling the listener when the track is changing. You do that sometimes, but not always. Snares are weak. Need more punch.

Let's list a few examples of where the rhythm gets weird:

0:06 starts with a snare?

0:23 and nothing happened?

0:30 could use some supporting writing from the other tracks

0:52 sounds like it's starting a new iteration of source melody, but it's not

1:15 without any warning, it's an iteration of the source melody

2:09 interesting fill, and surprisingly, it works

2:47 nice, but still needs some soundscape transitioning. introduce something before the first beat of that iteration

3:18 not enough strength to follow a fill

3:42 something

3:48 another iteration... or not? drums don't tell me

4:06 would make a perfect break, but needs the right kind of material before and after to work as an ending.

Once again, it's hard to know what to listen for. There's no clear lead. There's occasional piano and synth melodies that overlap and thus make it messy. There's the brass that's a clear lead, but you could drop the piano volume a bit there (around 2:00) so there's not a lot of competition going on. Overall, sorting out the track levels would be a good thing.

And teh ending suckz!!

But other than that, this is one of your more successful remix wips so far, imo. It's not too much weird original writing, the source is there, and it's not verbatim. Good work, bro.

Boo!

So I’m the guy collabing with HoboKa. The song HoboKa made up to this point overall has been looking really good! I think most people who’ve been following this remix can agree it’s really come together well, so I’m really excited to be apart of this project.

I’m going to explain changes and additions to the revamped first 1:50 or so of this song that is currently available for you all to hear.

One of the more noticeable additions is the realistic ambient background. Its purpose is to create a more organic environment for the melody to live in and then take over.

There is now a flute and piano “dueling” the dominating melody in the beginning to generate a little more going on.

The drums that were a part of the entire song till around 4:06 have been removed until 1:36. The reasoning behind this is that while they were good, taking them out for that long makes them more special when you do hear them and diversifies the song. It also fits well to start when the intro buildup reaches its climax.

When the spiccato strings and synth come in at 1:06 you’ll notice that there are some interesting sounds infiltrating your years… “Do I hear a monkey, water droplets, clinks, clangs, and the siren-esq sound of cellos?” you might ask yourself. Well you do.

The section from 1:06-1:36 is homage to the unique sounds David Wise used, particularly in this case, during the intro of the original “Life in the Mines” song from which this remix is based. If you listen to the link HoboKa has from Youtube, you’ll connect it pretty quickly. I suppose it has a rather interesting sound/interpretation to it, but again the entire DKC track had a unique sound to it, as so do a number of songs on OCR. Another reason for the addition was to give depth to the song quicker and help the buildup to the drums.

There are also a few other minor additions or tweaks here and there.

As for plans for the rest of the song aside from some probable edits here and there to what you’re hearing…

If you listen to the latest version HoboKa had posted, you can safely assume it is going to stay fairly true to what he has aside from the changes you’ve heard in this post. Perhaps some filter work on the saw synth part? Maybe there will be an extra instrument playing off another or something, not sure yet. The only truly major change that I can foresee taking place is the climax between 3:36-4:06 since medley wise it more or less matches with what you hear at 3:05-3:35. The idea right now is either to completely cut out 3:36-4:06 and make 3:35 have a really climactic sound with lots of instruments/noise to give you the sense that it’s the end, followed by the soothing sound of strings/choir/flute etc, fading away to the actual ending….

Or…

Rework 3:36-4:06 to have an cool guitar solo or something to that nature that really tops the entire buildup of the song followed by a finale similar to what I explained happening above at 3:35 onward.

Anyhow, hope you like what you hear.

HoboKa and I are looking forward to your comments.

SONG LINKS BELOW

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/rtqj/WinkyRemix2---20

Direct Link: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/fileshack/r/rtqj-WinkyRemix2%20-%2020.mp3

Backing pads in the intro are a little problematic. One is too soft and even, the other is too rhythmic for my tastes.

It starts off promising, but when all the drums come in, it loses atmosphere and gains nothing. The writing and soundscape should take it somewhere new. 1:44 is decent, but still doesn't have enough drive.

The overall sound is cleaner without feeling too empty, imo. That's one of the fruits of the collab. One problem I hope you'll be able to fix, TenchuX, is the piano writing. At 0:51 is sounds like an iteration of source is starting, but no. That kind of mind trickery sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Good luck with this, guys.

Backing pads in the intro are a little problematic. One is too soft and even, the other is too rhythmic for my tastes.

It starts off promising, but when all the drums come in, it loses atmosphere and gains nothing. The writing and soundscape should take it somewhere new. 1:44 is decent, but still doesn't have enough drive.

The overall sound is cleaner without feeling too empty, imo. That's one of the fruits of the collab. One problem I hope you'll be able to fix, TenchuX, is the piano writing. At 0:51 is sounds like an iteration of source is starting, but no. That kind of mind trickery sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Good luck with this, guys.

Yeah the beginning is supposed to be pretty mellow and calm until that first built up at 1:06. I can see how that synth at the beginning can be a bit rhythmic. The soft one I kind of like only because... it kind of sits there and adds a little extra but doesn't really overtake anything. I'll mess around with it some though.

As for the piano I can mess with it a bit. I can see how iteration is like wha? I want to try and avoid piano that is too complex at the start though, again the point is to start mellow and ambient and then get bigger and bigger... then a slight calm.... then BIG BIG then calm... end.

As for losing the atmosphere at 1:36-end of what you heard, to be fair I did state that I had not worked on that section at all aside from a few small implementations. I intend to add more instruments working off of one another like typical heard in an orchestral arrangement however I do see the dilemma in what you said about "atmosphere." It feels empty in comparison to the parts of the song leading up to that point or in my opinion the heavy synth part that starts at 2:14.

I've thought about continuing the monkey sounds/clinks into that part, however it sounded kind of weird when I did it... so I think just making a really well arranged epic sounding orchestrated section might fix that? Problem again though is I don't want it to overtake the section later in the song (3:06-4:06). I think I can do it though. We're trying to see about getting vet guitar player to fill in that section though with some heavily interpreted lead sounds to give it some MMMPH and more creativity.

I'm curious as to opinions on the 1:06 part. Do you think starting the clink/clang/monkey thing earlier would be a better idea? Do you find when it does start that it is too abrupt?

Also, this was done before I read this stuff as I was working heavily on the saw synth section - as such that's more of the focus in this post.

Focus on 2:14-2:48 (though feel free to talk about anything about the song as well)

I gave it a really mechanical feel with the drums and extra synth sounds...

The way this song comes across to me is - slowly entering the cave - conquering some obstacles - heroic theme - bad guys mechanical theme (which is where the song below stops) - then prelude to epic finale - the climactic battle - then the end.

As always, ALL COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED! Thanks again Rozo!

LINKS BELOW

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/uxdp/WinkyRemix2---26b

Direct Link: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/fileshack/u/uxdp-WinkyRemix2%20-%2026b.mp3

:51 still a problem. Around 1:15 I'm not hearing much of the low end. Actually, I'm not hearing much low end at all. Needs more bass.

It also needs more drive. Fill leading up to 2:15 sounded promising, but the track then doesn't have the drive it needs. A bass, low backing, octaved lead, something to drive the track is needed. Drums have a heavy sound t them, dulling down the pace of the track. You gotta counteract that.

Hi-range phased rhythmic pad in the intro is a bit loud. I recommend dropping it by 10dB or something, fading it up so it's at it's current level around 1:00.

The Dave Wise-esque pitch-bent pad thing is a little too loud and vanishes a bit too quickly.

Bass, drive, please. Good work so far.