M.C. Kids house/trancey remix

CC Ricers

I'm remixing a tune from a game called M.C. Kids, a game made somewhat famous by Angry Video Game Nerd but still underrated for its time. M.C. Kids had some clever level designs, but more importantly, a bouncy music track that has good unts-unts remixing potential. The remix is a sorta trance/house hybrid, but more trance here I think. It actually started off as a remix of ANOTHER remix, made by Deadmau5, but I liked the production work I put into it so much that I used it as a template for this remix. Don't worry, nearly all of the work here is done by me and there's hardly any stuff that's derivative of the very first source.

The source track, only known as "Track 5" in the NSF I used:

MC Kids- Track 5.mp3

And the remix:

Version 2 (newest)

stats.png

Version 1

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/yfiz/mc_kids

(time and bitrate is wrong btw, probably an effect of VBR mp3 encoding)

I spend a lot of time just balancing the levels out and I think it's one of my best-sounding remixes (in terms of sound production) put out so far. I could really use some good feedback this time, but in the meantime I hope enjoy it!

There's a lot of stuff in the high range, and it's not all pretty. Dampening the highs on some of those would probably make it cleaner.

Your rhythm pads, whatever they are, could use some high-range cuts as well, unless you like clutter.

Can hear source, but the clutter makes it difficult to focus on following the melody, something the source also has a problem with. ... or something I have a problem with in the source as well, those chip effects can be distracting. Feels like you could use some more source, but I'm not gonna pull out the stopwatch. Larry probably would, tho.

Lead synth used around 3:00 is painful. Cool sound, but painful.

So not my genre. Can't help you much. Hope this helps some, tho. Not a bad track, good luck with it.

Cutting the highs should be no big problem. I'll do that with the next version of the WIP.

What rhythm pads are you talking about? Is it the gated synth that plays at the very beginning?

The lead at 3:00 does need a lot of improvment. Thing is, this is a wav file that I made from another loop pattern that I no longer have. It will be tricky to work with it. Maybe I'll just replace it with something else.

Keep those critiques coming. I know that this isn't your style of music, Rozovian, but it's always nice to see you comment on it.

0:00-0:28

I like that arp synth a lot, sounds nice and fat. The scratching samples were a wee-bit cheesy for the rest of the song though, but that could just be me.

0:28-0:43

Sounds good but that shakuwhatever doesn't really fit. The entire thing feels mechanical with the crazy fast hats and different synths going on left and right, then there's this random Japanese instrument in the middle of the mix. Keep it if you want as its probably not enough to kill the mix but it seems odd and doesn't really fit.

0:43-2:40

Not much to say about this section because I like it a lot. Good work on it.

2:40-3:37

I see what you mean by it getting dubby. It sounds all right but it'd be kinda cool if like, all of the synths slowed down as well as being pitched lower as it goes into the section or something. Everything is hyperactive before the section and the synth patterns and such don't seem to change much when the tempo is halved which kills the mood a bit. Try extenuating the half-tempo section a bit more.

I like it though, good stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New version uploaded. I adjusted the levels on most of the instruments, especially with balancing out the ones mostly for effects that were cluttering up the sound in the last version. Also swapped out some drum sounds, and did a few changes to the slow section by Vagrance's request.

I'll listen to it in a second, after I finish listening to "Greed" by Mistabishi (sweet track btw if you haven't hear, but I'm sure you have).

EDIT:

Overall, I like the song. A lot of the changes you've made in terms of levels and EQ are really nice and the mix sounds a lot more dynamic, but I still can't help feeling that there's a hole in the middle of it, that something could either be bigger or another element could be added. The dubstep section also still feels a bit slapped on, like you were running out of ideas or something; I like the idea a lot and it has certainly improved but more needs to be done with it.

Mids are definitely too weak during the first part. Good low end from the kick, good high end from the hats, synths and flute. So I'd do some EQing or fill it up with something else, but don't overdo it, because the 2nd part with all those kickass weird synthlines and FX might lose some impact from that. I love the energy in that part. (Sorry, just listening via Tindeck, so I can't tell you the time, but it should be obvious)

The last third is a bit sparse and directionless, but that's a usual thing with WIPs, so I can't wait what you do with it! Your sound design skills are great, so surprise us with more of that.