What if Bach was the one, and went back in time to play music?

Trance arrangement, weird samples for trance. Interesting idea, not very good execution. Needs more bass. Needs to have its backing cleaned up, it gets cluttery. There's also some clashing like the solo instrument at 1:50, it clashes when it plays with the rest. Interesting use of percussion.

Interesting, but needs work. Good luck.

I THINK I get what you were going for - a canon/techno mix of Tetris (Techno for Neo - Canon for Bach).

The biggest problem is that your writing involves so many wrong chords and clashes that it hurts. Listen to to the chords you use against the melodies. They don't work. At all. Holding over a single note can SOMETIMES work for a touch of color, but an entire chord is overkill. Please do something harmonically that works, or knock out the harpsichord-y harmony in the background entirely (I'm leaning towards the latter, here).

Actually, some of the canons you use are sort of interesting, and without the harmonies may sound pretty neat, and if harmonized properly could lead to some impressive chords. Those harmonies ruin the effect, however. I'd actually like to hear a version without those harmonies in order to have a clearer idea as to what you've got, there.

I agree with Rozovian that this needs more bass. It's funny that I want you to single out those solo 'clashes' in the latter part of the song and Rozovian is correcting you for it. I'm not saying they're great, right now; I just want to hear them clearer 'cause they've perked my interest :P

Oh, the slowdown at the end is pretty cool. I like that part :)

So, all in all, this needs work - but that's ok. Nobody is perfect when they're starting out. Don't sub this to OC though - the J's WILL destroy it beyond recognition... (It's their job, so don't blame them)

ROFL thank you, very much, for the input. i have NO IDEA how to do any of this. i am excruciatingly amateur. i played this on my Yamaha, and plugged a cord into my speaker jack and plugged the other end into my PC mic jack to record it, for one thing, and for another, since it's all done straight off my keyboard, editing this could take a lot of time, and effectively change the whole entire song, as i would have to re-record everything that needs changing...

pardon that block of text.

i have no idea what you're saying when you mean canon, but the harpsichord was the only thing that inspired the use of the name Bach in the title. plus i really didnt know how else to name it anyways :D

:tomatoface:

i have about 8 or so other songs i had recorded off my keyboard a long time ago that i will be posting in due time for more inspirational pieces. that's really all im gunning for anyways, im no pro, i could never even compare to the gods of remixing, such as DJP, McVaffe, or jdproject! but i would love to compose a crappy arrangement to inspire them to do the same arrangement, but with POWER! :D

but yeah, i have no real skill to speak of. i cannot play chords (this is actually the first time i ever, EVER, successfully played with TWO hands! :D), i cannot read, or write, music very well (if i were to try to play off a sheet, it would be one key at a time :P), and everything i have played is by ear. that's the only real talent i have, i can play anything i've heard and/or memorized. just not the chords :P

now, if i could figure out how to use a PROGRAM to compose music, i might show some sort of glimpse of talent :P

HOPEFULLY (since my sister is borrowing my it) this song is still on my keyboard!

even though it will take a lot of doing, i am deffenitely encouraged to improve this piece.

:tomatoface:

mmmmmm... tomatoes...

edit: oh yeah, and on the matter of chords, they sound alright to me when recorded just the tune and the chord, but i ALSO have a slight hearing loss that impairs my ability to hear low frequency sounds (like bass, for example, which is probably why there is non, i wouldnt hear it and would have a hard time knowing if it was in tune, or kept pace), so if the chords are really that messed up, i apologize, i cannot hear the conflicting sound.

Program to compose music? You might want to have a look at Reaper a sort'of free DAW. Download it fully functional, no 30-day trial thing, no features missing. Then have a look through the free resources in out ReMixing forum... and google. Read about remixing. Learn to listen critically to music, listening for problems, and thinking about how your could solve them.

Keyboard-only remixing probably won't get you far. You can work on your tracks, make 'em pretty good (like Vidilian's works), but I say you need a DAW to do ocremix-passable remixing.

oh, i agree completely, and thank you for that! i will look into it as soon as im back on my own PC LOL

recorded a bunch to someone else's computer and i finally e mailed them all to myself, and while i was at it, threw them in the WiP forum :D

i doubt i'l lever amount up to the OC quality, but who knows, i could learn a DAW (what's that stand for?) and compose something more professional sounding.

one question though, how is it SORT OF free? LOL

either way, i really only wanted to ever inspire the pros with my songs anywyas, becuase i know they could pull them off way better than i.

THANK YOU ALL for the input and comments, im beaming :-P

i have no idea what you're saying when you mean canon, but the harpsichord was the only thing that inspired the use of the name Bach in the title. plus i really didnt know how else to name it anyways :D

Ah, the Harpsichord. That would've been my second 'Bach' guess. A canon is a technique where one voice will start, then a few bars later another voice with the same melodic material enters, then another, etc for as long as you want. Towards the middle/end of the song you have something that resembles that. Of course, the counterpoint is supposed to be correct for a proper canon, but... well welcome to the 21st century :P

As for the chords, it takes practice and a whole lot of critical listening to other music that you like to get the hang of that. Your ears just need time to develop what sounds right and what sounds wrong, then chord placement will come naturally. It can take years to develop, though, so be patient!

Good luck!

years... how encouraging... lol

i started learning piano at a very young age, mom taught me and grandma before she died, but i never learned chords, or how to read or write music. just jingle bells, row your boat, and rudolph, at first, but that's all i was ever taught, those 3 songs. everything else i did on my own... though i remember my mom showing me a verse from santana's green eyed lady ( i think that was it) but i cant remember it lol

so it's been about 20 years of playing casually.

im really wishing my sister hadnt borrowed my keyboard lol cuz now i want to experiment with the chords, and the piano here isnt properly tuned, and even if it was, it's just not in my accurate hearing range. mind you i hear perfectly fine, aside from lower frequencies becoming muddled and distorted. i can hear the high keys of the piano, but middle C and below just doesnt come in clearly.

i was sort of playing with the chords, but like i siad, the piano is not my hearing's favorite. i need my keyboard and the digital tones for practice.

however, i do not claim ownership of most of my works, so anyone who thinks the ycan do my songs better, please, by all means, let's hear it! :D

The percussion gets a bit repetative. Try adding a few eighth notes in there to change it up a little bit, among anything else that comes to mind when you're working on it.

Something like tsh, tsh, tsh, tsh-ba-tsh, tsh, tsh, tsh-ba-tsh. You kinda get what I mean.

Also, go for adding some original material. Screw around in that key (I think it's A minor.. I'd have to look at it again) and see what sounds good to you.

A personal gripe, I really don't like that generic, weak-sounding percussive synth you're using. That's not really your fault as a composer, I'd just recommend using something more powerful. I like a powerful techno beat.

Thing is, the harpsichord isn't really a loud instrument. I think most people would just tell you not to use it; fuck them. Make it work. If you can make those two things work, more power to you and I'll be impressed.

If you're not going for a powerful, loud techno bit, then disregard those paragraphs.

i doubt i'l lever amount up to the OC quality, but who knows, i could learn a DAW (what's that stand for?) and compose something more professional sounding.

one question though, how is it SORT OF free? LOL

either way, i really only wanted to ever inspire the pros with my songs anywyas, becuase i know they could pull them off way better than i.

A DAW is a digital audio workstation, meaning it's a complete toolset containing sequencer, samplers/synths, and mixing tools. Reaper's sort'of free because it's fully functional without paying for it, and it's cheap to buy a non-professional license for it.

The pros all started from somewhere too. Remix for fun, learn the tools, see what you can do. Fix the problems you can hear, and you'll improve fast. Even faster if you post your works here and let others pick them apart so you know what you need to fix. Also, play your works in a playtlist with "pro remixers", see how they compare.

A DAW is a digital audio workstation, meaning it's a complete toolset containing sequencer, samplers/synths, and mixing tools. Reaper's sort'of free because it's fully functional without paying for it, and it's cheap to buy a non-professional license for it.

The pros all started from somewhere too. Remix for fun, learn the tools, see what you can do. Fix the problems you can hear, and you'll improve fast. Even faster if you post your works here and let others pick them apart so you know what you need to fix. Also, play your works in a playtlist with "pro remixers", see how they compare.

That's the idea! :D been sitting on these for a few years actually, love OCR a lot. felt it was finally time to throw mine into the ring as well for just that reason: self improvement.

A personal gripe, I really don't like that generic, weak-sounding percussive synth you're using. That's not really your fault as a composer, I'd just recommend using something more powerful. I like a powerful techno beat.

Thing is, the harpsichord isn't really a loud instrument. I think most people would just tell you not to use it; fuck them. Make it work. If you can make those two things work, more power to you and I'll be impressed.

If you're not going for a powerful, loud techno bit, then disregard those paragraphs.

well i just plain out right suck at keyboard percussion. that's the generic default built in percussion loop. if i could do it, i would be asking this next bit...

anyone who wants to better the percussion loop is fine by me. if you cant get it to fit the arrangement tempo, that's really no problem since i can alter the tempo in recording it to the computer. the outro percussion bit, the tamborine and the... uh i have no idea what it's called but it makes a wooden buzz like sound hahaha those are my doing, the rest of the percussion is from the keyboard loop.

actually, tell you what, i will record it without the trance loop, just the plain song alone, no beat, and let someone else craft their own badass power techno beat. cuz god knows i wont be up to it for a loooooong while, so feel free to have at it. maybe i'll get some inspiration off that :D

Here are most of the common chords

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/chords.png

Check em out :P

i'll have to learn how to read that now... hahaha :oops:

oh look, a distraction! :arrow:

edit: hey lookie a real one too! :D i played around with the piano and i actualyl did hear the clash finally... i think i've been playing it too fast to really notice it...

this is going to make the chords VERY difficult for me. im not dexterous enough to play it well, but i am starting to get the hang of the pattern...

the only real problem is the first slot in the recording is saved to the chord, and the main/first verse. fixing the chords will drastically impact the song as a whole, and i might just have to start it from scratch. i might be able to salvage it though, i dont remember what verses and instruments were on what subslots, so this may yet be workable!

im excited :P

I think I have a better solution to your percussion problem. It's always better to overcome the obstacle yourself, although it's fine to ask others for help in doing so.

Listen to some good trance/electro, and pay close attention to not only their percussion methods, but their melodies too.

I can get you started.

I don't listen to a whole lot of his stuff, but critically listening to bLiNd's work would probably also be beneficial.

So ask yourself. What do they do that makes it work? Notice, also, their percussion doesn't sound tinny at all.

another thing.. when you begin to add your own material to the music, it's going to be really, really difficult to add stuff that works if you haven't studied music. I actually download midis of my favorite songs from VGMusic, run them through Guitar Pro, and clean them up/add stuff/generally mess around. It's really helpful, and it's a good way to familiarize yourself with music. Even if you don't know theory, you'll notice note patterns whenever you like a song.