Chinese Music?

The Mutericator

Hey OCR, it's that time again! Time for a request thread, and what request thread is complete without a detailed explanation that halfway justifies my thread taking up part of your frontpage?

So I proficiency-tested out of Chinese 101 and hopped right into 102 at college (thanks to having two years of Chinese at high school), but most of my music is (as I am something of an anime fan) mostly in Japanese. I think it would really help my pronunciation and general studying mode if I were to find some good Chinese music to listen to while I work on other things or drive or whatnot.

I know about Faye Wong, who is pretty awesome, and my teacher gave me a Gu Zheng CD that's all very oriental in feeling, but I'm looking for something with a good strong rock feel and actual singing - not overly strong or nearing the metal threshold, but something like if The Pillows were Chinese instead of Japanese.

I appreciate any help and all of the time you've taken to read this. Thanks much!

I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but two of my favorite Chinese rock bands are Hang on the Box and the Anarchy Boys.

Hang on the Box is an experimental girls punk band, and the Anarchy Boys are straight up Oi punk. If you're not into punk at all, at least try to check out Hang on the Box... They are pretty fantastic.

I wouldn't know anything outside of typical Chinese pop music. Jay Chou has been pretty consistently popular for a long time now. He sings well and can play the piano which surely counts for something nowadays. Some other random groups I can suggest are S.H.E., F.I.R., and probably my favorite Chinese pop artist, Amei Cheung.

I really wouldn't know any Chinese rock bands though. I suppose this would give you a start rather than poking around just anywhere...

Good luck with this one. Jay Chou is a semi-decent songwriter, but you have to sift through a lot of crap because he releases an album every freaking year. Other than him, contemporary Chinese music is largely disposable.

I confess I am a huge Faye-natic, even though I get some condescending looks when I go through my list of favorite artists and she comes up. Sky and Restless are her two best albums.

Much of the Chinese music industry is still stuck in pop, so you'll be hard pressed to find any good rock or experimental stuff.