riddick: dark athena

prophetik music

so, is anyone else excited about this game? i've been a big fan of the riddick universe since i saw chronicles of riddick in theaters in high school. bought the 2.5-movie set at walmart for 15$ and got really into it. i was going to play through butcher bay, but while looking for outlets to purchase it i noticed this game a while back and have been following it since.

vin diesel did riddick's voice, and the graphics look pretty good.

for those not familiar with how the disc will be released, it's going to include both a completely redone version of Escape from Butcher Bay (which was considered one of the best FPS experiences of 2004 for consoles) and the new campaign, Assault on Dark Athena. both campaigns will be unlocked upon purchase of the disc and will represent almost 20 hours of gameplay, which is epic for an fps game.

multiplayer's supposed to be pretty crazy, too, featuring your standard modes as well as one called 'pitch black' - five mercenaries with whatever weaponry they want and a flashlight mounted on the gun are dumped into a completely dark room to hunt for riddick (who, of course, is able to see in the dark and is armed only with his ulak blades). sounds insane!

It looks quite awesome. I really enjoyed what I played of the original when I rented it. When I bought it I kept getting stuck in the area of the "dying flashlight" which just ended up getting fucking frustrating even though I had gotten passed it before. I'm not terribly sure I'll buy it, but if i have extra money in the future I'll probably put this on the top of my second-tier of games.

I always wanted to play Butcher Bay, but could never justify buying an Xbox so I never did.

May check this out though. The game didn't seem to rely much on Chronicles of Riddick plot wise from what I've read so that's a plus. I thought Pitch Black was cool, but I couldn't stand Chronicles of Riddick at all.

you've gotta look at the movie differently than most other equivalent movies. it takes a different perspective, since the whole point is that riddick isn't a guy trying to be a bad dude, he really IS a bad dude. and the graphics are fantastic, particularly considering that it was done several years ago.

*spoiler alert* the book of the movie (which actually wasn't TOO bad) has them going to the gates of the underverse now that riddick leads the necromonger horde so that he can see what's up and if he can get jack back there. *end* i'm looking forward to seeing the movie of that.

you've gotta look at the movie differently than most other equivalent movies. it takes a different perspective, since the whole point is that riddick isn't a guy trying to be a bad dude, he really IS a bad dude.

You misunderstand me. I had no problem with Riddick in that movie (in fact, I'd say his character was the only redeeming quality in it for me), I just had a problem with every other part of it.

This game is responsible for me maybe not buying RE5. Though, I'll probably get both, provided I can scrounge up some monies.

there's several really nice games coming out at the same time, which is really unfortunate for me =) i'm not a RE5 fan, but with star ocean and several others coming out over the next two months, i'm screwed (rather, my checking account is).