Secret of Mana - Me and my Dragon

Harmony

Hey OCR, this is just a little something I threw together yesterday afternoon for fun. I couldn’t stop humming it this morning so I figured someone else might find it catchy too :) Hope you enjoy!

Tune: Me and My Dragon

Source: Secret of Mana “The Dark Star”

Lyrics:

Me and my dragon, walking 'round downtown

Minding our own business, but you know trouble’s gonna be found

Cuz when they see something different, the world, they gotta frown.

Sometimes if you’re different you feel like you just don’t wanna be around

anyone...anymore...stay at home...shut the door.

I put a little hat on my dragon to try to make him norm

But now I’m walking with a dragon in a hat and the people laugh more

So I run into an alley just to get us out of sight

Even though my mama told me never run when you’re right

And this time I am, cuz this is me.

Me and my dragon, we’re unique.

We shouldn’t care what the people think, but we do.

That’s part of me too. What to do? What to do?

I put a little hat on my dragon to try to make him norm

But now I’m walking with a dragon in a hat and the people laugh more

I've only read the lyrics so far (listening to SoS right now), but I think they are great! By the time I got to the quoted part, I couldn't keep a laugh bursting out. Through my nose. That hurt. I can just see the poor protagonist and the dragon.. I love it how you humorously depict a struggle that's both internal and external. It's tongue in cheek, but it's also very real, I can relate to that. I enjoyed just reading the lyrics, so I have great expectations about hearing the song itself!

--Eino

Nah Rozovian, I'm not gonna sub this one, but I'm glad you like it. I was just having a little fun. I kinda like the imperfections and simple arrangement as-is and, although not entirely necessary, I'd feel the overwhelming need to perfect the life out of the song if I was going to try to get it posted here. Plus, I left out one of the best parts of the original! Can't post a mix of this awesome song without arranging all of it ;-)

Eino, if you get around to listening to the song you'll hear me laughing in the song at the same point for the same reason :)

I listened to the tune pretty soon after writing my last post, but I've been neglecting posting here. Here's the remedy to that. The track is as good as I hoped it would be. Much different than I thought it would be, it's much more mellow than I expected. It works, it gives contrast how humorous the lyrics actually are.

Dunno if I'm qualified to say "just submit this already", but there it is. Your concern about the source usage I understand, though. I'm not actually sure if I hear the relation! That's maybe just my rusty ears though. Don't really hear any production flaws in this either.

--Eino

@0@

Can I just say that I think you're an amazing lyricist? I really love the lyrics on this one because they flow so naturally and go well on their own too (as in like a poem). Super-inspirational stuff, man :)

I really loved this little piece, it's on my iPod now, haha. And the thing is that I don't usually listen to that kind of music (the Blues(?)/Slow Jazz genre. Well, my Dad told me it's Jazz anyway. He knows more about that than I do.)

Can I just say that I think you're an amazing lyricist? I really love the lyrics on this one because they flow so naturally and go well on their own too (as in like a poem). Super-inspirational stuff, man :)
Wow, thanks. I rarely get such glowing compliments on my lyrics :)
this song accurately depicts the pain and suffering caused by fursecution :(
Glad I could bring some attention to this worldwide epidemic. And just to clarify to all of the people out there thinking that the "dragon" might metaphorically represent anything about us that our friends/family/society see as odd or different, you're wrong. This song is about fursecution. :P
This really reminds me of Raul Midon. You listen to much of him?
omg, I'm watching some of his videos now and this guy is awesome! Why hadn't I heard of him before?

I guess I was too awestruck by

and Kaki King (oddly, no relation) to notice the other great acoustic tapping talent out there.

• 2 years later...