A CafePress-like service for art?

Black Mage

Does anyone know a good, high quality, reliable service similar to CafePress, but that specializes in photography/art/prints? I'm looking to start selling my photographs from my blog, but am kind of at a loss as to where to begin. I was thinking that a cafepress-like service would be a start, so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping, or mounting, or framing, etc. Keep it simple to start, you know?

I also see that CafePress does prints, but I'd like to lean towards something more professional.

I think DeviantArt might have something like this; I see people selling prints all the time.

It does, but it's not too hot. While they cover all the details for you (formats, shipping, etc.) you earn 50% of the amount set above the base price (the minimum required to print it). For instance, if you set up a print of a certain size and the base price for it is $5, and you set the sale price at $10, you make a grand total of $2.50 per sale... and that's only if you have a prints account. Otherwise you only get 20% above the base price. Furthermore, you need to amass at least $20 before you see any of it, and they only send it out quarterly.

If they've changed it recently, I don't know, but that's how it was last I checked.

You're most likely better off doing it yourself, either finding a store that does it for cheap (prices vary hugely depending on where you go), or getting yourself a high-quality printer and doing shipping yourself.

Yeah, you're better off printing them elsewhere, and selling them yourself. I've used Kinkos in the past, which worked ok. Then I got a new Epson printer and just got high-quality print paper and printed them myself to sell at conventions.

Yeah, DeviantArt is nowhere worth it unless you're really good and popular enough to gain enough interest in your stuff.

Yeah, unless you have a mass following at DA, I wouldn't recommend it. I paid for the print account only to discover after the fact that it's rare for people who aren't particularly popular to ever sell prints. Very disappointing... I can vouch that their quality is fantastic at least, as I've bought a couple of my own prints. I may just buy a bunch and try to sell them myself sometime. (Artist discount, gogo)

Usually what I hear is that it's best to print it out yourself, even if it is a hassle. You can try a place like Kinkos, and if you know your prints will well, then you can maybe invest in a nice printer and the ink and all that and start doing it yourself. You have more control of what's printed that way, since some places require X amount of prints to be printed at a time, or just charge bad prices *unless* you do bulk.

I work at a ritz camera store, so I would be very easy to print my photos (on actual photo-sensitive paper or an Epson Ultra Chrome printer up to 24x36) at minimal cost. I was hoping to avoid shipping, mounting, and framing details, though. Doing it myself, however, may be the only real way to earn some cash.