Secret of Mana - Ceremony

Nase

I got myself a gamelan sample set yesterday, and this track from SoM was an obvious choice to give it a first try.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zh5tgwzyzz2

The breakbeat/dnb part is still in its early stages, and I'll have to see if I go on taking stuff from other tunes. The original tune is pretty sparse after all. I'll let it rest until tomorrow and see if I can develop it further then.

Gotta be honest, I'm pretty familiar with the OST so I tried to guess the source (didn't know the original was called Ceremony) and the way you've changed some of the notes threw me off. I just couldn't make the connection. I eventually got it though so maybe I'm just slow :)

Battle theme came through loud and awesomely clear.

In anycase, nice atmosphere; you're putting those samples to good use. The drums feel like they get overpowered during the DnB section so you might want to work on their mixing.

Good stuff so far, I'll be watching this WIP.

Up until 1:30, it feels almost like a modern, cool recreation of the source. I like it a lot. I can't say I like it as much after that as we get some of the crazy techno sounds going that aren't always ... euphonic? Is that word too stupid to use?

Maybe it's just a coincidence in using 8 bit sounds with intense themes, but 2:10 feels like a sweet throwback to the last stage of Astyanax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCafSNTxyQ&feature=related

If I had my way, I'd say keep going with the ground work you set in the beginning, but that's just based on preference. You've given this thing a life of its own after that point and I understand that's part of remixing.

Also, I don't think the "Danger" boss battle theme is mixed enough. It's an awesome track and OCRs only posted rendition of it is "Duel of the Consoles" which has a lot of other things going on that aren't necessarily... important to the source. I would like to hear another mix of that track, but I'm not sure I like it mixed with Ceremony. That's just me. <3

oh yup, I'll be remixing 'Danger' sooner or later. (In fact I already did a mix for OLR :).

The second part is just really thrown together. It was my initial concept for the mix to go there after a while, and then it doesn't always work out. But I'm sure it could, with some more work (well, for my taste at least.)

Problem is, cpu is maxed out again...and I can't keep bouncing stuff that's not set in stone at all.

I'll probably freeze the gamelan part to save cpu and redo the stuff after that completely.

I hear like 3 different songs. It sounds like you're trying to do too much with it. I see some great potential though. I really loved the acoustic part in the beginning and I liked the DnB part. The gamelan sounds so awesome.

I think maybe you should incorporate the acoustic part into a DnB song and make it sounds less electronica. At least maybe the DnB part should sound a bit more evil. It's pretty crazy nonetheless. =)

The first few moments of the song are great to me. The sound quality is good and it's just an interesting noise.

At 1:09 it starts to get bouncier. Pretty nice.

1:29 starts the DnB. Awesome.

I do think the danger theme is well remixed. Not because, standalone, it's well remixed, but the way it's immersed in the rest of the sound track, and had I not actually heard your OLR remix, I wouldn't have known it was from a different song. Doesn't mean don't fix what ain't broken, though.

Although this works for good in the early parts of the song, and excluding the DnB section, I don't think there's enough base in the song. I start noticing around the one minute mark. Especially around 1:05 or 6. when the high, scratchy instrument starts.

hah, man, i remember getting to like, the almost final boss of secret of mana or whatever (is this that theme? somewhere near the end of the game?) and hearing the music and being like "AWESOME I HAD NO IDEA THIS COMPOSER WAS SO INFLUENCED BY GAMELAN MUSIC"

so doing this in gamelan is good. the dnb stuff is really cool too. do i hear an homage to dueling consoles?

i would like to hear some expansion in the texture at the dnb section. Everything sounds so crystal clean in the opening material, that the sudden change in texture really puts me off. While i think this could be a good thing, I would love for you to at least give me some higher-frequency sounds eventually. I know you do add some stuff, but I still feel like there's a hole in the soundscape i'd like to have filled.

(I'd like to fill AnotherSoundscapes hole if you know what i mean that's what she said lloolololollolo)

what gamelan samples are you using? I love/want these :o

hah, man, i remember getting to like, the almost final boss of secret of mana or whatever (is this that theme? somewhere near the end of the game?) and hearing the music and being like "AWESOME I HAD NO IDEA THIS COMPOSER WAS SO INFLUENCED BY GAMELAN MUSIC"

That'd be Thanatos's theme, which is more like Gamelan Industrial or something. I tried to build that one into the mix as well, btw.

The one I remixed is played in the temple next to that zombified town. The bell sample is tuned authentically, and he follows some traditional patterns used in that music, like the initiating gong, the simple version of the melody played by one instrument and the complex and ornate one by another.

so doing this in gamelan is good. the dnb stuff is really cool too. do i hear an homage to dueling consoles?

you do, but not a worthy one as of yet :)

i would like to hear some expansion in the texture at the dnb section. Everything sounds so crystal clean in the opening material, that the sudden change in texture really puts me off. While i think this could be a good thing, I would love for you to at least give me some higher-frequency sounds eventually. I know you do add some stuff, but I still feel like there's a hole in the soundscape i'd like to have filled.

Yup, definitely. Well I think the DnB stuff is rubbish. I'd need something similar to the Pendulum sound, but the only thing I can pull off in a half-assed way is Venetian Snares ;)

what gamelan samples are you using? I love/want these :o

http://www.soniccouture-gamelan.com/kontakt.htm

the download version @ 49 pounds.

• 1 month later...