Nepotism of the Godhead - Music for a video game.

So, a while back, Novo interactive posted here looking for composers and I signed up to do 4 songs. They wanted music that was unique with sort of a poppy, cartoony orchestral and electronic drumbeat sound that was still kinda serious without being really dramatic......

Yeah...

So, after a while of trying to come up with something, I made this abortion of melody. It has a certain charm to it and I was able to do some things I've never done before and make up a decent bit in a different style, but I wonder if this song is really as bad as I think it is.

I have like 7 different sound mixes, but this is the only one I have on me, so I am aware of some sound and EQ problems, but does this song really suck or am I imaging it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57200312a2a9a220/

Are you refering to this?

Anyway about your doubts, well i'm obviously far from your level, so I can't criticize the composition or quality at all.

But allow me this one complain, as a VGM fan, or simply as a listener: it sounds a bit generic.

It doesn't sucks (rest assured that your talent remains intact), but it doesn't stands out either.

It sounds like it was composed to do the job, without taking too much risks.

Certainly that bothers me, in the sense that you most certainly have the potential to do far better.

Well everybody has the potential to do better, they don't always have the time to do it. Thats the category I fell into.

Anyway, your criticism is noted. I was more looking for sound quality or arrangement errors, but "generic" is fine to accept. You're exactly right, it was composed exactly to do the job and little else.

Well, for what you wrote it for, it should do fine.

The melody is drown in the arrangement. I'd recommend bringing out the melody whenever you can a bit more (probably by making the arrangement a touch lighter or simply make it louder in places). It's not that it sucks, for me, it's just that I can't hear it through everything else very well :puppyeyes:.

Also, it sounds a little too dramatic for me in some areas (although I don't know what they want, personally). It's probably the horns in some spots :P. You got the 'serious down', but it seems a little too much so.

It doesn't suck, to me; it could be that you as the composer can hear something that only you can hear, so here's me letting you know that the rest of us think it's fine :P.

Looking at what they asked for, I commend you for writing this - it's a difficult style combination to write. Good job.