Laptop cold boot bluescreen

And here we go with more laptop issues. My favourite.

Anyway, it turns out whenever I turn on my laptop from a cold boot it decides to bluescreen halfway through loading windows. Which is a problem. I thought it might be a corrupted version of windows, so I reinstalled it (Vista x64), but nothing changed. The bluesceen only occurs on a cold boot though, after I leave the laptop off for quite a while (overnight, for example). Also, the error message it shows is never the same. I'm not sure what the problem is, and testing it is kinda difficult as it reboots fine if it's been on at all recently.

There have been a few similar problems after a cursory Google search, and some people seem to have fixed it by updating or re-flashing their BIOS. Unfortunately, Acer seems reluctant to part with any useful BIOS that I can use, so I don't really know what to do.

A few of my friends seem to think it's a mobo issue, which is not something I want to mess around with. I'm hoping it's solvable without sending it in for maintenance.

Any idea what would be causing this? I could just ignore it, since the only major consequence is that it takes longer to boot than normal, since it has to boot about 3-4 times from cold.

Anyway, it turns out whenever I turn on my laptop from a cold boot it decides to bluescreen halfway through loading windows. Which is a problem. I thought it might be a corrupted version of windows, so I reinstalled it (Vista x64), but nothing changed. The bluesceen only occurs on a cold boot though, after I leave the laptop off for quite a while (overnight, for example). Also, the error message it shows is never the same. I'm not sure what the problem is, and testing it is kinda difficult as it reboots fine if it's been on at all recently.

There have been a few similar problems after a cursory Google search, and some people seem to have fixed it by updating or re-flashing their BIOS. Unfortunately, Acer seems reluctant to part with any useful BIOS that I can use, so I don't really know what to do.

A few of my friends seem to think it's a mobo issue, which is not something I want to mess around with. I'm hoping it's solvable without sending it in for maintenance.

Any idea what would be causing this? I could just ignore it, since the only major consequence is that it takes longer to boot than normal, since it has to boot about 3-4 times from cold.

You gotta be a little more specific. Ok. I got a few quick questions here:

1- did you modified your bios parameters?

2- did you played with that by accident?

3- (optional) what is your laptop model?

That sucks, computer issues are no fun.

There's a lot of things it could be, and I don't know what this issue is for sure...

But the random errors and bluescreen on cold boot...there's a possibility your hard drive could have bad sectors or be on the brink of failing. If I were you I'd back up everything before going any further.

After that, maybe run a scan of the hard drive to check for bad sectors. It could still be the motherboard or other things... Honestly, if it's anything hardware related, I wouldn't mess with it yourself. Laptops are obnoxious.

rarely are bsods not a big deal.

it's probably a mobo. i'd suggest resetting your bios to default just in case, but beyond that it's almost definitely a hardware issue. try booting cold into safe mode and see what drivers it hangs at.