PlayStation Motion Controller

Cerrax

Doesn't seem all that big a deal really, it's like an offshoot of the SIAXIS and an upgrade to the Wii. I'm a little more curious to the 360 camera though as that seems like it could actually mean big things for video games if it's handled right... like no red-lights or anything.

Still, this little announcement is a step-up from the Sony's DS-Lite-I MEAN, PSP-GO. Man, if all I get is a slider, and 16GB of internal (upgradable) memory and a lack of UMD, the price should be FAR less than $250. Rip-off.

This might get some more people into remixing if a music game is done well with this controller... I personally can do without another "Rock Hero".

Hrm.. I must say this one looks MORE usable in gaming than Natal. In all Natal's unlimitedness, it's limited when it comes to gaming because SO MANY GAMES can't be controlled with a camera.

This is definitely better than the WiiMote. The precision and tracking was quite astounding in my opinion. Ultimately, this could mean that a lot of good games will be made for this controller, not just gimmicky stuff or shovel ware but GOOD GAMES.

Ultimately, that's what it boils down to for me. Is this good for gaming? When it comes to motion controls, this seems to be the best choice.

Hmm, I like it. But I'm wanting to see what they've got cooked up for real games, overall, the tech demo showed what's possible. More than likely a step up from the Wii.

Which makes me wonder, what's Nintendo going to do with it's next system to out perform the competition? Not only do they have to do more in motion controlling, but they're gonna have to step up in the graphics department.

Hey, I'm trying to be optimistic on BOTH sides of the playing field here...

Hrm.. I must say this one looks MORE usable in gaming than Natal. In all Natal's unlimitedness, it's limited when it comes to gaming because SO MANY GAMES can't be controlled with a camera.

This is definitely better than the WiiMote. The precision and tracking was quite astounding in my opinion. Ultimately, this could mean that a lot of good games will be made for this controller, not just gimmicky stuff or shovel ware but GOOD GAMES.

Ultimately, that's what it boils down to for me. Is this good for gaming? When it comes to motion controls, this seems to be the best choice.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

The Natal is truly the bleeding edge but its also unproven and very little was actually shown in the tech demo.

The Wii (even with the Motion Plus) is just grazing the surface what the PSMC seems to be capable of.

Ultimately, the PSMC is the most practical and at this stage in the competition pipe dreams and incomplete controllers are not going to cut it.

I thought this was nowhere NEAR ready for primetime. The demonstration alone felt as if Sony threw it all together at the last second on the rumor that Microsoft was doing something motion based as well. Nothing seemed to work until the very end when it was just a simple point-and-shoot thing.

They said it was in production for over a year.

I was honestly upset about MGS, that whole countdown thing, only being on PSP. I don't own one, and never have cared to invest in one. It's a neat device, just, I don't need two handhelds.

As far as the presentation... it looks interesting, put together hastily? Absolutely.

Tons of claps and cheering (maybe not the latter), probably for the fact some are thinking, "This'll kill Nintendo dur hur!"

Honestly, I wasn't surprised Microsoft, or Sony putting out motion controls, seeing how much money it made Nintendo and all...

too bad nintendo did it the quick-cash way, selling to old folks homes and all. these more advanced controllers from ms and (to a lesser extent) sony will be bringing in dollars for years to come. nintendo's golden teat that is the wii will come crashing down soon enough, now that they've totally alienated the entire gamer subculture thanks to 'casual gaming'.

too bad nintendo did it the quick-cash way, selling to old folks homes and all. these more advanced controllers from ms and (to a lesser extent) sony will be bringing in dollars for years to come. nintendo's golden teat that is the wii will come crashing down soon enough, now that they've totally alienated the entire gamer subculture thanks to 'casual gaming'.

Err...That may be possible, but I think the whole "casual gaming" and "hardcore gaming" divide is kinda obnoxious if you ask me. I mean, sure, I play stuff like Bionic Commando and Bioshock, but I don't mind picking up a title like say..Endless Ocean or playing a round of Wii sports with my dad (whose never been into games much). I think that by Nintendo going after a casual market, they cemented their place in the video game industry for awhile. People have always claimed Nintendo was the kiddie system to its more "mature" counterparts, so I don't think you can really blame them for taking the route they did. Yeah, people say they've sold out their fans, but then, The video game industry is just that: An Industry, and sometimes it must change to fit the times. And Nintendo's philosophy of creating software for everyone doesn't really compete with the hardware that's being marketed for the "hardcore crowd" mostly. So they change tactics and marketing strategy. That being said though, you're right, they could bite the bullet if they don't balance things out enough.

/end tirade

On the topic of all these new motion controls, I have to say I prefer Sony's to Microsoft's. It seems more tangible to me, while I think I'd feel like a five year old playing pretend when using Natal. I think all the tech and potential is there, but I do find it a little coincidental that all this newfangled motion sensory stuff is coming out all at once. I find it a little hard to believe that someone on both fronts didn't think "Well, Nintendo's got a pretty neat piece of hardware. Let's improve upon the idea in order to beat them in hardware sales once and for all." I'm all for these new forms, so long as a more retro style of control isn't completely forsaken. Lord knows after working a full 10 hours, the last thing I want to do is wave my arms around like a maniac.

That being said, has their been a price-point on any of these new gizmos?

/end wall of text

I'm very curious to wonder if any of these new motion control devices would be coming out if (A) Nintendo hadn't implemented it 3 years ago and (B) the Wii wasn't selling like hotcakes...

That's what I'm wondering, there was plenty of critics on the Wii when it first came out, including some of the competition, now look where they are.

Sorry, that came out like a fanboy comment, didn't mean it that way.

thank goodness SOMEONE knows me a little bit =)

does anyone know how to recognize sarcasm?

With tons of people with short tempers, habitual knee-jerk reactionaries, and more people discovering 4chan among other aspects of internet culture...

Lots of doubt..

But hey back to that controller, great demo, loving the 1-1 tracking as it appears to be. Can't wait to see some "good" RTS titles applying it effectively. :)!!