Silent Hill 2 WIP - Promise/Magdalene/True

Monobrow

http://www.songportal.org/katie/robos/wips/Monobrow-%20SH2%20WIP.mp3

Hey guys, this is a WIP I made one night a month back. It was not meant to be anything serious, however it is growing on me now as I am listening to it again for the first time. It is a combination of three songs, mostly with references to Promise (reprise) and Magdalene and a tie in at the end to True.

Not sure where I would take this honestly but I am just wondering what the general consensus is on this song.

It's REALLY straight forward (for me at least), and I'm really trying to keep it simple and not overcomplicate.

As always, problems with mix/master FOREVER

Hey mono!

This is really chill and you've chosen a really cool source. You've made something here that has a ton of character and sounds interesting because of your sample choices. Here are a few things that I hear off the top of my head:

1. Drums sound great already, but I think maybe a touch more compression on the kick and snare could go a long way because it starts become less apparent later in the mix when things get going. A little layering on both could also help

2. Bass sample could be switched. It's a little too "synthy" because of the grit of the ?saw? wave you have at the moment and it doesn't fit in with the whole vibe you've got going. I feel like an e-bass sample could fit here really well, but keep playing around.

3. Soundscapes you've put in here take me straight back to playing Silent Hill so they're great. Maybe play with stuttering FX that they use in the games all the time because those give me the creeps.

You're already aware of production so nothing needs to be said there. This has so much in it at the moment so keep going with it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man... so much love for this right now. The Silent Hill soundtracks are some of my absolute fave soundtracks. I listen to different SH playlists while I sleep at night :D

This is sounding awesome. A couple of things though. The bass line doesn't sound dirty enough. And the filtered drums, though they sound fucking AWESOME, needs more layers. Just a couple of stereo ones.

But man, apart from that, I'm absolutely, undeniably loving what you're doing here. Silent Hill has some of the deepest soundtracks, with new things I discover everytime I listen. And you're completely capturing that. Also, I dunno, but it sounds like I can hear some echoes of Mark Snow's Songs in the Key of X here too.

Brilliant. Please keep going with this.

This is really cool. I just found it randomly and really like it. It has a really nice feel to it and those three pieces seem to blend into each other great. Hopefully you'll get round to finishing it - you've got me wanting to write more Silent Hill pieces now. I can't really think of any criticism right now as I really like how it sounds.

When did you start remixing Monobrow?? This is pretty good :), reminds me of Silent Hill - oh right - this is Silent Hill 2 :<

All retardedness aside on my part, this is pretty good, only gripe to me is the bass sample - it seems to sound kinda weird - I just think that a plucked or a fretless bass might fit in better for this. Unless you can find an E-bass that sounds a bit less grating/weird. Your production is pretty dang good otherwise and you seem to have a good handle on progression. Good jorb.