Metroid Prime Data Select / Ridley's Theme

AMT

I worked on this most of the day today. It's a metal / electronic remix of the Metroid Prime data select menu music and Ridley's Theme in 6/8. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think!

NEW 1/8/10: stats.png

Updated a bunch of stuff, cleaner production and now it incorporates the Prime credits music too. Touched up the drums a bit, too. Check it, yo!

The earlier Ridley parts sound more like they're just derived from the the background of the Prime menu tune. Except the stuff half way through. No matter, source is source. Towards the end, you've got some clashing going on withe the menu source stuff. Too lazy to download and look at exact times, but you shouldn't have any trouble hearing it yourself.

Guitar tone could use some work, lead guitar works fine, but the rhythm parts sound... boxy. Could just be too loud or compressed weird or something. Something about it bothers me, not sure what. Hihat is pretty loud imo.

Good luck, this is a cool concept so make sure to finish it. :D

EDIT: Removed links for now, they'll go back up after DoD is over. Thanks guys!

Alrighty, I updated a bunch of stuff, cleaned up the production, fixed mentioned issues and now it incorporates the Prime credits music too. Check it, yo!

Rozovian: Yeah, the Ridley source doesn't actually come in until after the second repetition of the Prime menu. The whole first chunk is just the menu music.

Nice to see another metal remixer finally. Hopefully I'll be among your ranks soon.

Anyhoo, not bad! The song seems to lack a certain frequency meat to it, perhaps in the low or middle areas, but I'm listening on cruddy computer speakers so perhaps my judgement is a bit biased. You should finish this up and submit it to this month's Dwelling of Duels, as well as the Judge's Panel. The due date for this month's DoD is December 30th at 9:00 PM fyi.

EDIT: Removed links for now, they'll go back up after DoD is over. Thanks guys!

Alrighty, I got the full version of Addictive Drums today so now I can finally use everything I wanted to :D Updated with more fitting drum samples and better sequencing. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Oh hey, I forgot all about DoD! Maybe I will...

I was only kidding :P

Don't know what you can do to improve it, I'm not an expert...good luck with DoD, I joined it in 05/09, but got only Sixteenth Place :(

Ah well, before I forget it...I don't really like the title (The Galaxy is at Peace). It seems not to fit very well Ridley's Theme...

Nah, my filenames rarely have anything to do with the final name of the song. I was going for the general feel of a credits theme for the second part and that was the first thing that came to mind when I was saving the file. If they did, then the Megaman song I submitted would have been called GOOD_KRESCHUN_MUHMEGAMAN.mp3 :<

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love the MP data select theme, good to hear a remix of it. Personally, I think the arrangement is a bit too chaotic, and I'd make the different parts of the song more distinct and different so one part doesn't seem to bleed into another. I think one of the best ways to do this would be giving each part a markedly different drum beat. At least that's what I would do, I really like 6/8 time for its versatility that allows for cool snare patterns.

Nice job man. I've always loved this source as well. I don't necessarily think its too chaotic cause i love these types of remixes. My one suggestion regarding the rhythm guitars is too boost the EQ slightly around the 1K and 2K marks just to give it a slight more kick.

The way the song flows from section to section is very fluid. Its not sporadic. I can't really say much else other than that it sounds really so far.

Wow this is epic. Good work there DBS :<

There is indeed some clashing, but that's an easy key fix IMO. Er, well if some of this is live then I guess that it would be a real pain in the arse to fix. In either case, the offkeyness doesn't irk me too much though, it gives this a lot more edge and grit imo :D

Not gonna say if this is passable or not though. I'd say that R:TS would def. post this though ;)

• 4 months later...