Chegg?

Maco70

http://www.chegg.com/

Textbook rentals are relatively new. I have had good experiences so far, but never used this site specifically. Going to the mailroom on campus however, I saw stacks of literally hundreds on boxes from chegg.

Call me strange, but I am fascinated from an advertising standpoint. Was their an ad somewhere that I missed which promoted this?

Anyone else ever rent textbooks?

Indeed, they rock. They are incredibly flexible with their shipping, too.

In terms of advertising, they actually have a couple adspots in places around campus. Other than that, I think it's just word-of-mouth and necessity on parts of students. Given how many people look for alternates to the bookstore or Amazon, they eventually find a place like Chegg.

@Gario: True, but the with two major catches: Homework and frequency. Oftentimes, for an easier time on their part, professors use the book's problems for homework assignments, with a couple of their own mixed in. Also, quite a few professors reference the book enough in lectures that you would likely be lost without it. And you don't really know which professors will or will not need books beforehand...

Yeah. Sticky mess, but one we're stuck in.

A lot of the time you can just check out a copy of the book from the library whenever you have to do homework. I'm a lot more productive when I'm not sitting at my apartment anyways, and if the textbook I need is in high demand, that helps me commit to getting my homework done. This doesn't work for every class, though, so I'll check this site out next time I need textbooks.