*NO* Vagrant Story 'Mullenkamp Cult'

djpretzel

Nocturnal

email: stankproductions2004@hotmail.com or stankproductions2004@yahoo.com Website (not complete): www.geocities.com/stankproductions/Music.html

Wow! I have been watching ocremix for 2-and-a-half years now, and am greatly impressed at the at what you guys do here. The skill here is unbelievable!

@_@

I have been creating music for almost two years now, just for personal enjoyment. And until recently, I was hesitant to try to remix, and, as I thought, it was a little bit more difficult to accomplish than made-from-scratch music.

The remix came from music found in Vagrant Story, which I believe has not been remixed yet. I got ideas for the song mainly from the themes in the "undercity" and the "catacombs."

Due to the nature of the music in Vagrant Story, I believed some ambient sounds taken from the game would fit nicely with the song and add to its mood. I tried to keep the echoey nature of most of the bgm. I seperated the melodies I wanted from the undercity theme, and added on to them slightly. I really enjoy the harp sound I was able to use, it changes the mood of the original a lot.

Drums and all notes were composed on Fruityloops 3. I used FL 4 Demo to mix the sound lvls. Then used a sonic foundry program to cut up and place the sounds into the song.

Im not quite sure what style of music it is exactly, but I like how it sounds. Anyway, I did this just for fun and would greatly appreaciate any criticism I can get from outside sources (always striving to do better).

Side Note:

If this remix actually makes it, I can scan the cover of the game and email it for the image if needed.

Thanks, and sorry for my sparatic writing,

Joshua Wilkins

• 2 weeks later...

I keep losing the time signature at times, which puts me on edge a bit - I've never heard the original so I don't know if it does that, but if you put that in then I like the effect. Or maybe it's just me.

I like the weird scary feel of this, so unless this is too close to the original, I give it a

YES

how can you lose the time signature when it's the same two drumloops the whole time?

this remix has a cool sound, but it is ultimately too thin. there is the main section then the middle section. the main section is wierd in a good way, but it doesnt go anywhere. the middle section is sparse, and the whole mix lacks bass. it just doesnt build...it doesnt say anything. the ending is also weak.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thin is certainly the word on this one. The spooky ambiance and sampled sounds are alright. The move from spooky buildup into the main music at 0:52 was awkward, and this mix is just way too plain the whole way through. I'm not sure what was going on starting at 1:52, but again, with the samples so lifeless, there's no energy or mental imagery being conjured up by the mix. No flow, no progression, not much of anything I could put in a positive light. The Remixing & WIP forums could provide some ideas that could help you re-examine the approach here. Back to the drawing board. Sorry, bro.

NO

There's some kind of CRAZY detuning going on here. Some intonation issues around the beginning part, but I think that's what the style calls for. For something as zany as this, I was really expecting some kind of tripped out industrial percussion sequence.

I think that there's definitely a lack of cohesion here; the song doesn't really go anywhere. It just sort of starts, plays, and ends. Not really evocative, which is important in this style. I wasn't scared or freaked out, just waiting for something interesting to happen.

NO