*NO* Eternal Champions 'Altered Awareness'

djpretzel

Now I've been listening to music from OCR for quite some time, and I think it's time that I give something back to the community, and try to submit a remix myself.

The track I have remixed is the introduction for the game Eternal Champions, and the original song can be heard in .gym format.

The soundtrack is located on Zophar's domain: http://www.zophar.net/gym/etrnchmp.rar

My ReMixer name is Doragon, and my e-mail address is DoragonRyuujin@hotmail.com

If any information is missing, or there are any other problems, I can be contacted by e-mail or the following ways:

AIM: DoragonRyuujin X

MSN: DoragonRyuujin@hotmail.com

IRC: Doragon/Javurii in #ocremix on irc.Enterthegame.com and in #modarchive on irc.esper.net

Thanks for taking your time, and hopefully I've managed to make the song worth it.

I judged this for IMC18. I ranked it first. Here's what I wrote:

Doragon - Introduction to Focus

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Very nice intro. This mix has a really tight beat and some nice floaty lead sounds. The bassline has a great pulse to it; nice sound. While the drums are tight, I found myself wishing that the pattern would change up a bit more. The whole piece felt a bit repetitive too.

However, this mix has a really nice soundscape; lots of deep and faraway sounds add to the dreamy feel.

The ritardando in the ending felt cheap though. Didn't sound right with the drumloop still going. It would have been much more effective had the drums been changed to fit the slowdown, or been removed completely.

Overall, nice job with a slick interpretation.

So yeah, aside from the minor repetitiveness, I like it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I played this game probably more than it deserved to be played. Anyway...

The percussive element of this is repetitive, yes, but the changing atmospheric sounds mean that the drums have more of a stablising role.

I wasn't sure about this until the second half, that clinched the yes for me. The ending felt a little awkward though, what with the slowdown and everything.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I can't believe the Eternal Champions intro actually functioned as game music, because it's so damn bad. This mix, however, is nice. I've talked to Doragon a few times and I've heard four mixes of his, this one included. Nearly all of them had the obvious problem of not varying up the percussion. He definitely can't keep doing that and expecting his material to make it here. I know he's told me that he generally has a harder time working on creating viable percussion patterns, but he's gonna have to push himself and be willing to make that effort in order to improve his game overall (especially since he's basically got everything else already working).

I was initially gonna vote in favor of this, but the percussion was bland and needed more going on in both variation and uniqueness, that clap in particular. It's literally just as uncreative as the percussion is in the source tune.

One little thing I didn't like was how that loud "tss" led into the eerie/ambient break at 1:45. More importantly though, once you came out of that short change-up from the melody at 2:16, it went right back into the same groove only with some more ambiance underneath it. There's gotta be a little something more going on. One suggestion I have would be to bring up the levels of your countermelody for the second half, especially during the chorus; that's an easy way to add something more to the meat of the track.

I'm surprised Malcos had a problem with the slowdown ending, because if you check out the source tune, it's a really nice reference to the way the Eternal Champions intro music ended (check it out). Really nice touch, bro. Personally, I don't even think you should touch that.

On the plus side, the overall sound was excellent and I enjoyed a lot of the smaller sound effects and additions occurring in the background. Even though the percussion wasn't exciting, the overall atmosphere via these samples was beautiful and you're obviously headed in the right direction, Doragon. If this makes it, congrats, but there's more than needs to be done with this, IMO. If you decided to work a little more with this, I think you'd be that much happier with how it turned out.

NO (begging for a resubmit)

Well, these sorts of tunes don't really need a great deal of variety as far as the groove goes. I think this is perfectly fine. Not the best, but certainly not a detriment.

Let's look at the big picture here and not muck around the little issue. Bottom line for me is this arrangement is great. I found the original, compositionally ugly to listen to, and this just turns that upside down and makes it into one very enjoyable listening experience. Production values are also well done.

I also felt the ritartando at the end was sorta weird at some spots.

I have no reason to give this a no, easy YES.

The original song has some neat Asian texture through the use of pitch bends.

This mix has nice sound textures as well, especially with the synth bells, koto, and wind fx. However, the airy wind instrument lead starting at :52 is consistently too far back, leaving the stagnant drumloop forefront, which is consistent throughout the mix. Continuing on, the pause at 1:52 is awkward, a shaky distorted bass enters, and the mix ends with the drumloop even more annoying during the ritardando.

I like most of this instrumentation and I like what was done with the original composition, but I want to see:

-- more dynamic percussion, chill or not, and less reliance on the drumloop

-- more cohesive arrangement with less reliance on the pause and less repetition

-- more 'fullness'; accompaniment, textures, layers

NO

it definately has some things going for it, but the main thing that takes away is not just the drumloop, but the fact that the drums are the most prominent instrument. in the second half of the song i hear some vox pads and strings that should definately be more prominent. a great way to make this mix more dynamic would be to bring up the strings and stuff.

almost there, but needs a little more work.

NO