If You're A Professional Musician- HELP ME!

PROTO·DOME

Okay, so I'm panicking right now, I've got one and a bit weeks to finish this assignment that I've been putting off all year. Basically I'm meant to show I'm being mature and finding out more about my desired industry of work/going to events related to my industry - that kind of thing. So as the deadline drew closer I suddenly remembered I actually had to do this, but, oh no, I'd missed all the related music job/work/stuff events (so lack of maturity there.)

So! I'm pleading with you, if you work in the music industry please, please could you take the time to say who you are, what you do, how you got into the industry or anything else related. It would be SOOOOO damn helpful!!

Thanks very very much in advance! You guys are awesome.

(PS, no lectures on doing work late, I KNOW)

Well, when it comes to this stuff, I don't know much so take what I say with a pinch of salt proto ;)

Getting into the music industry is alot by chance from what i've seen.

David Wise for example worked at a music shop and showed people the instruments you could buy. A couple of people from rare came in looking at some keyboards and david showed them some demos which demonstrated what it could do and they asked him to work as a composer because they were impressed with his musicianship.

Also, I believe Beatdrop got on the dance revolution soundtrack when he entered a competition to do with the game..., and they asked him if they could use it in the actual game I hear... i'm not sure of details here (anyone else who knows stuff about this feel free to correct me) but getting into the industry is a matter of being in the right place at the right time, from what i've seen you just have to get your talents out to the world in whatever way possible.

I'm not sure if any of that info is useful man, I know your more looking for the workings of the industry than rather how to get into it, but I hope thats useful nonetheless :P

You should talk to:

Flickerfall

The Aversa couple

Another Soundscape

Beatdrop

BigGiantCircles

Bustatunez

The Prophet

I know I'm missing some people but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure they're busy but if you're looking for people somewhat involved in the actual music industry, those are a few that have done stuff. Maybe they can make some time to help you, and then lecture you on doing work late ^_^

"Music industry" is a bit of a broad term. I give private lessons in playing instruments, I'm also in a band with an album, and I've also done solo acoustic live performances. I'd be happy to elaborate on any of these things, but let me know which (if any) you want to hear about, as I'm not sure any of these are necessarily your idea of what you want to do in the music industry .)

The "Aversa couple" would cover zircon I'd think.

There's also a lot of names on the OCR news pages that featured artists who have been working in industry, like virt, Danny B. Also dannthr who posts on the OCR Workshop has a blog (I think) about working in the industry, see if you can find the thread linked in that forum.

Can you describe more about what the assignment demands of you? Do you need to put together a poster? A presentation? A summary report?