*NO* Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 'Eastern Quarters'

djpretzel

Takes awhile to pick up - djp

Here's my first submission for OC Remix. Just call me CC Ricers. I chose to remix the Inner Quarters theme from the game Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, since it's one of my favorite themes of the game. I hope the ID3 tags went through OK!

Original composer: Junichi Murakami

Platform: Gameboy Advance

I'm not so critical of this piece. There's clearly a lot of potential here. Some of the samples, though reverbed, come off flat, notably in the intro. I loved that keyboard-like support (started at 0:28) that you used throughout most of the track, and the 2:45-3:04 section was particularly good while it lasted. The percussion does need more behind it, but I wasn't bothered by the repetiton at all. Lots of small additions and subtractions helped keep it moving, and the overall energy was nice.

The section from 1:07 to 1:25, where those strings were on top, didn't work at all. The strings sounded flat (though reverbed, once again) and the melodic flow of the notes was awful. Same thing from 2:04-2:45 and at 3:24 when the idea was used again.

This was a pretty cool submission though, CC, and I enjoyed listening to it for a number of times. Like Prot said, attempting to improve even just one lacking area could hook this up. Perhaps the ReMixing forum could give a few tips on refining some of the sample sounds through further effects and/or tightening up the melody on those synth string sections. I'd love to hear a resubmission.

NO (resubmit)

Very amateurish sound. Everything is just piled on with effects. I recognize effect presets from FruityLoops, especially on the percussion.

Everything sounds overly reverbed; very muddy sound. There's also very little attention paid to balance and texture here. Everything is all over the place.

DJP is right though; it does pick up after a while. Unfortunately it's still got an amateurish sound and is plagued by the wonky reverb and percussion effect.

NO