*NO* Zep's Dreamland 'Sorrow (ZD Mix)'

djpretzel

Does get cooler. - djp

Name: Alycia Shedd

Email: shed8216@uidaho.edu

UserID: N/A

Game: Zep's Dreamland

Song: Sorrow.mid

Info & Comments: Zep's Dreamland is a freeware puzzle game for PC and Mac, made by Jay Bernardo of Loomsoft (www.loomsoft.net). I downloaded the game last week and immediately fell in love with it. I got in touch with the creator and he gave me full permission to remix the game's MIDI soundtrack. This is my first real attempt at remixing, and both I and Mr. Bernardo are quite happy with it.

This mix was made with Apple's GarageBand software, using Dent du Midi to import the instrument tracks. Unfortunately, I'm using a Macintosh computer, and I was unable to find an ID3 editor that would let me access all of the required fields. Please edit the file as needed.

Alycia Shedd

shed8216@uidaho.edu | http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~shed8216/

"On one side, we are all fools. But when we realize this, we are enlightened."

--Shunryu Suzuki

Not bad really. Some of the elements and tone involved here indeed reminded me of djp's "Trip the Light Fantastic", and I thought this was pretty cool. The woodwind lead was way too loud, somewhat shrill, and very unatural-sounding, which detracted from the groove here. The electrosynth in the foreground isn't bad at all, but when it's by itself (e.g. 1:54-2:39) it's ultimately pretty flat. Good use of all the very light percussion instruments to give a little energy to the background. At 2:08 when the guitar came back, that's when I saw what Vig was talking about. That would have been a great place to add some new ideas and give this some notable progression & movement.

I dunno how closely this follows the original MIDI, so I would've much rather had that to compare things with. Nonetheless, all the issues Vigilante pointed out are definitely what you need to address to get this one going. I liked what I heard though, so I'd love to see this resubmitted with some additional work. I'm feeling the potential here especially since the sounds are fairly decent, though it will take some effort to present more rearrangement ideas, help fill up the space a bit, and break up the repetitiveness.

NO (develop some more & resubmit)