Mega Man 2 - Quick Man

Hi, it's been a while but here is a new version. New drums and some EQing:

http://tabnewflax.com/wip/Tab_Newflax_Quick_Man_WIP4.mp3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, here is an updated version. This one is a bit softer, personally though I kinda feel that the original version had more punch to it. Although I'm no expert at mixing. Appreciate feedback.

http://tabnewflax.com/wip/Tab_Newflax_Quick_Man_WIP2.mp3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, here is a remix of Quick Man's Theme. I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanx

http://www.tabnewflax.com/wip/Tab_Newflax_Quick_Man_WIP.mp3

I like the sound of this one, overall. However, the bass is causing some nasty clipping, so fix that. The bass drum sound is a bit bland and muddy... try making it tighter. For the most part, the production is clipping in and out, so the mixing really needs to be cleaned up.

I like the chippy direction you took it in the beginning and later in the song :)

The electronic soundscape is really nice, but hard to really appreciate through the production, so fix that up and keep us updated ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty cool stuff.

Work on making your instruments sound more crisp. EQ out frequencies your instruments aren't using in each channel.

1:40 had a cool weird panning effect, it made me stop and smile :J

Okay anyway, search for sweet spots with EQ (just a tad) to bring out certain instruments in the spectrum, you've done a great job with how everything sits together in the mix so far, but there's always room for improvement.

I'd have to say some of the arrangement is cool, though it meanders a little bit. You have some parts that feel empty, drums, and synth etc. Try to fill them with something else.

Your song just needs more structure overall. It's kind of like telling a story (or sex loooooaldadla), you want to have an intro, start building, climax, and then release (you can of course play with how you do this) but it's mostly just about getting a point across. Why are you making this song? It's because you want to show us something.

You have some pretty cool parts, I just want them to flow into each other better.

I think you could do better with a different snare/hit too actually... I don't think it translates well as your main rhythm. Maybe double it with something else? Or on the eighth note strikes, use something else? Mess around with your percussion, don't be afraid to experiment beyond the "boom, tiss".

Anyway hope I helped, good luck, it's really cool. I do really like that bass :J

• 4 months later...

Intro volume is alarmingly loud and there are some clicks in the pan changes. The rest of the track works ok but does lose some of its punch. Bass is probably too loud, you could drop it a few dB and boost the whole track instead (except the intro!). Careful with some of the high synths, they can get a bit shrill. Some transitions (like the organ one) could use some work to be a bit smoother. Also, careful with the panning, the section that follows the organ seems tilted right because of the synth panning. Try to counter a pan with something in the same frequency range in the opposite channel, that'll keep ppl from feeling like the whole track is leaning to either side.

Imrproved, but can still get better. Keep it up. :D

I think a more thwacky snare would serve this mix better. The bass, leads, groove, and gated things near the end scream "SOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAAAAAAAAMMMNNNN QUIIIIIIIIICCCCKKKK" but the drums samples as a whole mutter something about just being sorta fast, like "white guy fast" or something. Find some harsher drums and convince me that this man is QUICK. Also, I'll have to agree with Rozovian. Fiddle with the EQ and/or volume of the opening filter-swept synth. I had to turn down my volume for that. Overall, though, I'm loving it. Great job!

Edit: I just noticed that in the cross-panning square lead you have right about at 0:08, there's some awkward loss in the consistency of the lead. I have no idea what's causing it, but I'm guessing it's a result of the panning?? Give it a listen, you'll hear what I mean.