*NO* Metroid 'Trancy Samus Aran'

djpretzel

Wow...this is how to do trance. the first 2:45 is just fantastic gradual buildup in my opinion. The original sample of the melody is superimposed on a really well laid trance soundscape. In fact, i believe the entire original song is in here.

Rather than changing the original or rearranging the structure of the melody, the mixer has left the melody (and instrument) intact and has instead extrapolated and brought in layers of harmony and atmosphere that didnt exist in the NSF. Leaving the melody as it was might be taboo, and more importantly difficult to pull off well, but this mix does a fine job of adding to the original. Definately a keeper.

YES

You could apply some of the negative criticism given to "The Final Summoning" on this mix as well. There's a difference between enhancing the original with an approach like this, and then simply combining original composition with the NES stuff. The music of the first 2:45 had practically nothing to do with Metroid (game sounds notwithstanding) and that's over half the track. 4:32-5:02 had the exact same problem as the intro. Once things changed at 2:45, I felt what Sly added was a lot more satisfactory and interpretive. It wasn't enough at all though.

Just because the wholly-original trance work added underneath the NES track fit like a glove doesn't mean that this is enough to make it here. Frankly, I don't even believe that the music fit as well as Vig says. Find a creative way to lop off the first half of this, create a shorter intro with some actual arrangement, and resubmit.

NO

Oooh very nice. Quite heavy on the kick; but that's the way I like it. Very clean sounds; nice synths and clear drums. This is clearly not just an original-with-drum-loops-over-it; like Vig said, it's got some nice expansion in the way of surrounding material. Very nice stuff.

I do agree that that buildup is long as hell though. Wish it was shorter. However, this is some nice trance, and I just can't say no to something like this.

YES

That has to be the longest build up in history. Over 2 minutes? Come on now. That may work for orchestral or ambient, but it simpy doesn't work in this context for me. The last third of the mix is good, but it simply can't overcome the 3 minutes of repetitive build up.

I really hate to tell artists how to do their mixes, but in this regard the build up is too ridiculously long. Shorten the build up and I'd give this a Yes. I'm torn, but it's a borderline NO from me.

You guys do realize that the this song is most definately the original song with cookie cutter progression over it, right? That is to say, the lead is not just some synth that sounds like the original, it IS the original song wave. Yes the chords fit behind, (only 2 chords), but none of the non-nsf portion of this song has anything to do with the title theme. The portion at 4:30 is probably the laziest. Percussion isn't attempting to incorporate the 3/4 in the original at all.

Frankly this is one of the worst cases of nsf+drums I've seen. I suggest listening to the original.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip Track 1.

I'd like the buildup in a certain context. It's slow and the drumloop is lazy, sure, but the repeated patterns and one new layer per measure work great for a club sound. I'm digging the groove, and then the exact same synth waves from the nsf come in, and I'm reminded that this is a videogame mix.

I don't abide by a videogame track with the same videogame instruments being plopped in the middle of an otherwise wholly original song. The accompaniment and harmonic additions to the first few Metroid notes work fine, but with no new progression or melody comes the unmodified nsf. That is not the way to do trance if rearrangement is intended.

NO