*NO* Typhoon 'Libya Strikefighter Mix'

djpretzel

I liked it... we need the original MIDI or something, and stuff - djp

Hello there – I’m new to game music remixing. Just thought you’d be interested in a submission.

ReMixer Name: Daniel Fortune

Email: dan@randomrevolution.net

Game: Typhoon (1988)

Platform: Sinclair Spectrum ZX

Publisher: Imagine

Song: Typhoon (Libya Strikefighter Remix)

Originally Composed by: Jonathan Dunn

This remix comes from a game I used to play a lot as a kid. The Typhoon theme really appealed to me even then. So many years later, with the tune still fondly lodged in my heart, I remixed it. And this one specifically, because there appears to be a lack of any Spectrum remixes on OCR. Hopefully not for much longer.

Yeah, it looks like this one came out for several systems, including the ZX Spectrum. All the relevant game info in the submission letter checks out. No luck on seeing a MIDI anywhere. The Typhoon soundtrack from the Spectrum version is in .AY format.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some may have an issue with the frequent sample usage, arguing that it simply pads the track (as some of the samples chosen repeated too many times), but overall I had no problem with it and the samples did help to enhance the atmosphere of the track. I mentally tuned them out while evaluating the development of the music itself, so those were just something extra; the pilot communication samples do tie the spirit of the track to the game that was remixed though.

This certainly sounds like dance-trance (as the ID3 tag implies) and it's not bad, but the overall delivery on this trance genre adaptation could have went in more interesting directions. The stripped down electrosynth section from 1:32-2:33 was a little but drawn out but I saw the merit in it after several listens. The softer area at 2:33-3:03 was a welcome change of pace in briefly changing the flow and moving away from a trance sound. Both areas displayed some good development in the structure of the track and streered things away from getting too repetitive before the Typhoon melody kicked back in at 3:07.

This was somewhat cookie-cutter & subdued for trance and not really risky, but the source tune was handled perfectly fine. Areas like 2:05-2:33 & 3:39-4:11 showed very simple original sections that nonetheless connected well with the source arrangement. The mix wasn't my cup of tea personally and it took me dozens of listens to objectively gauge its qualities because the flatness/lack of spirit of the delivery was a huge negative for me. In spite of that, I felt this was a capably structured dance-trance remix even if it wasn't dynamic as a stand-alone trance piece. The Typhoon source usage was good, and, though the trance elements underneath were pretty simplistic and the percussion needed variation, things were full-sounding production-wise and got the job done.

YES

I've been watching a lot of the olympics, and this reminds me of a really safe floor rountine. Nothing too risky - at the same time though, it does lack character a little bit.

But it is a good mix, all I would say is that this is a little too 'standard' and 'safe' in terms of style. Be a bit more adventurous next time.

YES

Whats the deal with the vocals? Same 2 clips repeating again and again. Not tactfully, they're just all over the place. Big minus.

Vocals are very distracting later on as the original melody is constantly being meshed with them.

Trying to ignore them for now. Melody is very simplistic, repetitive, and non progressive. Percussion, accompany, same store. Background is octave chord, pretty simple.

Sound in this song has a fuzzy nature. Nothing is really clear except the lead.

Weak ending.

Overall, very typical. Gotta do something better than a bunch of sound effects and lo fi generic techno progressions to get by me.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. The pilot samples were cool in the beginning, but then you just kept playing the SAME ONES OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Talk about overkill. :|

As for the mix, its quite simple. Coverage of the melody was very underwhelming. That lead doesn't do anything interesting, ever. It seems like its just going through the motions. There are points where I'm thinking that the lead will switch up into something crazy and fat, but it stays the same boring lead.

Unexpressive, unemotive, repetitive, simplistic. Nice texture, but you need a lot more than that to get a YES.

NO