Battletoads + DoubleDragon - Rocket Slam: Brought to you by Level 99 & Gario!

Gario

seems a bit overmixed to me- a little harsh in the mid/high, i think you could drop the master volume just slightly and it would be a lot easier on the ears. rhythm guitar seems to dominate a bit around :50, sounds like it's cutting some of the frequencies around it. the guitar at 2:30 is kinda dry, could use some more reverb or stereo width to thicken it up. i'm with emu on that synth at 1:30- definitely a highlight of the track. i don't think you used it enough though :P

anyway, pretty solid work overall. really driving and personalized arrangement, just needs a little production polish. you've got a lot of great feedback in this thread, so keep to it! :nicework:

Funny coincidence that I was addressing the EQ problems as you wrote that, halc - I'm hoping this version pretty much solves the mixing, there.

The guitar leads have been balanced out, I spent as much on the drums as I'm willing to (humanized the hats + did a little velocity work on the bass drum + snare), and the song is a little easier on the ears (because I don't want to take away the power behind it).

Oh, and I caught your comment on the beginning just now and threw in a little lick there, Emunator, just for you :wink:.

I know the synth at 1:26 is awesome, but there really isn't too much room for any more lead work with it. Believe me, I tried, but it really doesn't fit anywhere else. I don't believe it takes away from the song at all - on the contrary, I think it works well as a schelling point of sorts.

You should take a gander at the Laguna track I did here a couple of months ago, Halc - it was full of all sorts of awesome synth leads (part of the reason I didn't put as much in here - trying to diversify my approach a bit).

Rocket Slam

Unless there's anything significantly wrong, I'm calling this done, here. Thanks for all the help :grin:.

• 5 months later...

I'm on lousy speakers so I can't say much about the mix. On the whole it sounds like way too much reverb, even if you're going for a live/stadium feel. I've heard live mixes that have a much tighter sound than this. I'd like to hear more bite on everything, like the guitar and the drums. Try putting a little bit of saturation on everything and less reverb (like FL blood overdrive). The bells sound nice, but they kind of take some of the energy out of the song when you use them as a lead. Vocals or brass could do well in this kind of arrangement.

Also, the drums might be killing some of the energy. You need some kind of a build section in there to give more of an epic feel to it.

Yeah, I know about the reverb thing (Palp made a good point about the consistency of it among the tracks, in particular). The J's let me know that a month or so ago, but I haven't had the time to work on it because of deadlines for two projects.

Since I'm done with those, though, I'll likely get this one touched up again and sent through the system. It'd be a waste to watch this track go unheard because of a few tiny problems with the production.

For the drums, though, what exactly do you mean by a 'build section'? Could you show me an example?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to get this track touched up before the end of the month, so they won't go to waste.