Your ReMixer name : chscheck

Your real name : Christoph Scheck

Your email address : chscheck@gmx.de

Your website : www.schecknet.de

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 18907

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Turrican2

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Level3-1

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc. : Released on Amiga 1992 (Factor5)

Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site : Sry, I didn't find the original

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :

Like Turrican so much because of the great music, composed by Chris Huelsbeck! They have the ability to create a picture in your mind that fits the image onto your screen! I tried to enhance this effect, giving it more emotion, more feeling. Hope you like it!

Thank you for OCREMIXES!

Hope you get time to listen to it!

With regards,

chscheck

Though Chris tried to make the mix carry emotion and feeling, I felt it didn't achieve the melancholy atmosphere it was going for. It succeeds part of the way anyway, mainly because of the rain samples. I recognize the piano synth from plenty of other mixes, but I've heard better dynamics and more emotion. Right now it sounds dry and unemotive.

The claps coming in at 1:20 didn't seem to fit well, and the drums at 1:44 were somewhat too prominent. Percussion wasn't always a detriment though, like with the area from :55-1:12.

This is pretty downtempo and doesn't actually need much in the way of radical development, but there was virtually 0 development to be found regardless, thus it was pretty repetitive overall.

I thought there was certainly some potential here, so I wouldn't mind this being refined and resubmitted. Some more natural-sounding piano work would help this realize more of the intended emotion, along with more complimentary percussion choices, and a more noticeable development over the three minutes.

NO

Piano delays are annoying as hell, as is the massive amounts of reverb on everything. After the rain drops out, there's still waaaay to much hissing as a result of reverb.

Ridiculously amateurish dude. TONE BACK THE REVERB. It's absolutely INSANE how much reverb is on this thing. That piano is overused too; bring more elements into this mix.

NO

Anyone who knows anything about Chris Huelsbeck's music knows he likes to use reverb. Just listen to Giana Sisters, Turrican, or some of his remixes. The thing is, it is indeed too wet here, and the tails are too long.

Using reverb is tricky and Huelsbeck is a master at that. This simply doesn't accomplish the same polish that he often does. You don't just stick a reverb and mess with wet and dry settings and expect great results. I would dare say it takes years to use large or dense reverbs properly. That being said I can appreciate what you are going for, but the execution just doesn't work. Tone down the wet/dry ratio and/or shorten the tails.

Decent work overall, I suggest you listen to Huelsbeck's Balance of Time to get an idea on where this mix could be taken. Percussion work sounds like what he might have done in his early years. Keep it up. I hope to hear more from you in the future, especially more CH mixes. But this one is a NO.