*NO* Metroid 'Acoustic Hip Joint'

djpretzel

Pretty damn cool effects towards the end, competent playing, and (since it's a comparable concept) better pitch-sensitivity than Select Start's rendition... - djp

I hope I filled out the ID tags on the mp3 right... if I didn't then my apologies.

--Contact Info

--Your ReMixer name: zoast.com will work, but you can cut it to Zoast if you want... I'll be attempting to for m a fairly good sized band (6-7 people maybe)(for vg music and originals) in a year, and I dunno what that will be called..

--Your real name: Thorne (, Marshall)

--Your email address: mdthorne@centurytitleinc.com

--Your website: www.zoast.com *include a link if you dont mind and i make it, of course

--Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: Zoast

--ReMix Info

--Name of game(s) ReMixed: Metroid

--Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Title, Norfair, Kraid, Intro Fanfare

--Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.

--Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site

--Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: I learned Norfair on acoustic, so I decided to do an acoustic (guitar) centered medley... really it's part of a planned trilogy of sorts. The instruments involved are 1-3 acoustic guitars (in drop D)(bass in Kraid: The bottom 3 strings are in drop B), a Yamaha SK-30 Analog Stage Organ / PolySynth, Drums, Vocals, one Electric guitar clean, one heavily analog echoed electric in the first minute, and heavily echoed sounds of me tapping on the tip of the instrument cord and playing with the delay, also in the first minute.

As much as I hate to seem dismissive with the "it's a cover" rejection, it really is a straightforward medley cover with some easily observable yet overall minimal additions. Select Start's "Kraid's Hideout" had interpretive countermelodic additions to work along with the source material, and this doesn't have anything of the sort to bolster the mix with any truly unique ideas.

Prot's decision is pretty complimentary, and I wanted to say the same things he did. The playing is very quality and the production is excellent, but Zoast just need to add more ideas to this to make this a substantial arrangement/rearrangement. Even a solo piano piece tackling this material would need substantial additions to get the job done.

I've pimped some of Marshall's material for the VGF Pimp Section over the past summer, so I've heard some of his material, and I like his skills at the moment. So believe me when I say it's only a matter of time until he gets posted here. All things considered though, I agree with Prot's call. Getting a bit more creative via chord structure, variation, improvisation/original sections, support instruments, anything would place your own spin on things in a rearrangement sense.

If you don't plan on doing anything like that for this piece, Marshall, releasing your planned trilogy via VGMix as well as a prominent Zoast.com release would be a great idea and could attract attention in the same vein as Stemage's own Metroid rock album, Metroid Metal. This is truly an enjoyable cover piece, but there's not enough interpretation beyond the instrumental choice in order to get my YES.

NO

to the mix's credit, the acoustic guitar is better-recorded and more cleanly played than most of the guitar stuff we get here. unfortunately, the problem is pretty evident.

hate to throw the term around during the current debate, but this is a straight cover. it doesnt get any straighter than this. it's a medly of three songs that stick exactly to the original, save some sfx. i'd like to hear what you can do, but this is not a remix.

NO

I found the whole thing to be a bit tedious and boring. It didn't feel like this was really going anywhere, except from song to song. Not much of a remix either; it's a cover, as you have indicated with your website's directory structure (...com/covers/mp3s/metroid1.mp3). :wink:

Seriously though; much too similar to the original. Improv, jam out, do something besides playing what my Nintendo plays.

NO