*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Broken Wings'

djpretzel

email sub file Broken Wings.mp3 - djp

djpretzel,

Hi there. Remember me? Heh, it's been some time since I last connected here, but it doesn't mean I forgot. Just moving to LA and starting a new life is somewhat time consuming. Anyways, this is a Chrono Trigger Remix from the OSV Disc II - #6 (The Day the World Revived), but I call my version "Broken Wings". It's a sad song this time, with dramatic portions and epic scales throughout it. There are numerous vocals so a doc. file was also attached to this email (sorry about the big size =P) Take a listen. You'll see it's not the usual "DJ Crono/Dance Club/Hip Hop/Shout-my-name" stuff. Sooo, there you go, and I'll talk to you later okay? Thanks a lot.

~DJ Crono "Jovette Rivera"~

The production job on this is really disappointing. The piano sample in the intro is too artificial to be this exposed. The use of some sort of organ synth approaching the end at 4:15 has the same problem as the piano; sounds artificial/GM-ish as well. The bassline was pretty uninspired as it usually just played along with the Day the World Revived melody. The drumwork also was bland, and I have to believe that there could have been ways to retain the fairly downbeat, melancholy feel while being more creative with those areas. All of the instruments possess too much reverb and no sharpness. The Eastern style instrumentation in the background is decent I suppose, but suffers from the same aforementioned problem every other instrument has.

Crono's vocals & harmonization are a sincere effort, but the delivery is too amateur-sounding and rough, while the levels on them are too low relative to the music itself. At several points with these lyrics, I also had little to no idea what Crono was saying. Little vocal tricks like 1:41 (where he tries to harmonize himself singing "you") & 2:23 (with "me" and "you" at the same time) don't function well at all. That's simply a byproduct of too much vocal reverb and not positioning the lyrics properly in the first place.

Everything combines for a fairly spotty, unpolished sound, so while the rearrangement idea is worthy to me, the execution needs to be refined drastically. Nothing but a production overhaul and more finesse in the delivery could get this passed.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

PinkFloydish.

The electronic sfx in the intro are pretty annoying.

Man. I used to hate that little nerd dj chrono casue in every one of his songs he goes OMG DJ CHRONO-CHRONO - DJ CHRONO CHRONO - DJ CHRONO CHRONO for lik3 8 MINUTES AND LIKE DOESNT EVER STOP WITF THE CRAP VOCALSE AN DSHITTY FRULITY FAG SYNTH GARBAGE CRAP TURD ASS WTF

and yet this mix is impressive. Everything cept the percussion is solid.

Things this song is desperately lacking:

Key change.

Drum change up.

Other than that, good stuff. Very cool.

YES

Damn this mix gets way to repetitive. I checked my timer and I was like, "Damn this thing has been going for 4:40 already and nothing new happened."

Vocals are sloppy and amateurish; there are some intonation issues that make me cringe throughout the mix. Vocal tricks don't work; I can see what you're trying to do, but they don't work.

NO

I have some issues with this mix. For a mix of this style it feels really plodding especially in the beginning. Second main issue is the lack of presence of the vocals. It seems to wash with the background. This is personal taste, but I just wish it stood out better, with it being drier, and some more compression and better EQ.

Yeah there's problems here, but the interesting arrangement and the way it's all put together is still solid in my book. I really like the instrument selection. The koto is particularly a cool one for this type of mix. Cool bassline. Fun.

YES

so in the beginning the piano is too low for the sample. it sounds really bad.

I really like the vocal work, but there are lots of mastering and arrangement things that arent really terrible, but they add up.

the vocals should be louder in my opinion, and perhaps they should have more reverb.

i think the drums are terrible. i dont really think the song needs drums at all. or if any, perhaps jsut bass, hihatclose, bass, hihatclose. i think in some spaces the organ-ish thing playing the busy line could sub out, maybe for some soft pads playing more intricate harmonies. the mix would benefit from more of a crescendo. as it is the tempo is just too low for the drum groove, it gives the song the feeling like it's just plodding along in the mud. it needs either more movement, or it needs to be a legitimate ballad sans-drums.

i really want to hear a resubmit, because i think this could be really good.

NO

Nice to see DJ Crono branching out. Unfortunately, there are too many problems with this endeavor.

The piano is crap. It's just a crappy sample. Together with some weird electronic sfx, it makes for a really crappy intro. The mix thankfully gets better than that as the vocals come in; the harmony is cool and fits the style, but as mentioned, there are plenty of iffy intonation flubs to blemish it.

Instrumentation on the whole is good, but each track is just not used very well in conjunction with the other. The percussion is dodgy, the vocals are messy, the koto lead dry, etc. Not well done and a really repetitious arrangement.

As usual, I like DJ Crono's ideas, but they just fall flat in execution.

NO