Ecco The Tides of Time (Prototype and Genesis)

wildfire

Hey all

I have a new mix I'm working on, and I'd like some feedback!

I know the drums aren't great yet and there's not really any direction, but this is only 2 days worth of work and I thought I had a few good ideas so far.

Originals:

http://ecco-darksea.com/music/ecco2_04.mp3

http://www.ecco-darksea.com/prototypes/e2md_x11/audio/X11_07.mp3

And my renditions:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=871

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=870

As always, listen and comment!

Ok I listened to the tracks (and the original since you covered it twice---huh?). That got me good. I much preferred the 871 version (again, please label them so I don't have to keep clicking back to your post to figure out what's what). Your skills label you as trumpet, but to me it sounded like sax at the beginning (am I mistaken?). I like what you've done with the mix, and the track has a good feel throughout. That said, the whole track needs a 1 Db boost, no doubt (and it would be safe for the sound integrity). Also, the track has no real low or high end, which makes it a little bare to the ears. A little more cymbal work and some low end on the pad setting your using would do wonders for the track. Other than that, timing is pretty tight, the real instruments sound real (but could benefit from some effects), and the sequenced stuff sounds like it fits. Actually, on that note, the rolling thunder sound at 0:50 makes for a weird transition into the sax. But I've gone on long enough... The track has definite potential, so keep at it.:smile:

Nice.. But Sax and trumpet line "locking" sound line for some reason. Also sax sounds too midi on my hear. Trumpet sound is great! Believe me! I played on it long time ago. Also tuba(or baritone) sounds perfectly. And No Escape right. This track need some Db. And what about drums.. Well I heard only 871 version:mrgreen: Sorry.. work on it! It's great thing!

• 7 months later...

Nice sound you've got going, there. The production is clean and the instrumentation is interesting. The drums are also quite the sexy beast.

I'd fix those strings and remove the auto swell that they have on them (if they're the 'swell strings' from General Midi or a variation of them, change them to 'strings') and I'd add a swell at the beginning via programming the volume. The swells that occur every time the note changes is distracting - it's not needed every time like that.

When the snare comes in, periodically I hear it pump the volume. Bring the snare down a smidgen, to fix that, or perhaps just EQ the highs a little bit.

I like the track so far. It's short, it's incomplete, but it's also awesome. Keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...

haha, your thread had me constantly opening and closing links as i started listening to older versions just to find a newer version if i scrolled down a bit

i'm a big fan of the drums, esp that glitched out snare, but the attack is a little on the harsh side? maybe try boosting it closer to 2k hz and shaving a little off the high end. this isn't a big deal, but i feel your snare sound works better in the beginning when the hits are more sparse. i feel the glitched sound doesn't work as well once things get rolling and the drums pick up pace. just my personal opinion! once the strings and other tracks come in full force, the levels seem a little off. i feel the drums should be the loudest track but they definitely get buried by everything else. compression on the drums and a low boost for your kick will make your drums mighty phat. i like the tambourine sounding hats but they sound a little weak all by their lonesome. could you supplement them with another sample, mirroring the hat rhythms?

on a final note, the filter-automation on the bells playing chords is really great. definitely gives your mix that aqueous quality. the strings are rich and compliment the bells well whether they're holding a sustained melody or playing chords of their own, but despite all that i still miss hearing a dedicated bassline. that's just my personal preference but i would love to hear those chords filled out fully with a deep bass.

what you have now is pretty solid and with a little more production work would definitely have my vote, for what it's worth. best of luck finishing this and passing the panel!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...