*NO* Guilty Gear 'Suck a Synth'

djpretzel

Again, need the original, but I don't remember anything sounding too awful close to this in GG or GGX. -djp

game: Guilty Gear (also in Guilty Gear X, Guilty Gear XX)

remix of: 'Suck A Sage' (Chipp's Theme)

remix title: Suck A Synth

remixer name: fatalM4

for a series of games with such a great soundtrack, it's surprising to see zero remixes of it! here's my stab at an electronic version of 'Suck A Sage'

(who knows about that name, huh?) this is my first submission to OCR but i've posted quite a few songs (and an early version of this) on the WIP forum.

~fatalM4

Sorry I don't have the original on me, but I'm familiar with the original (GGX version).

These electro-support chords are different, but the melody is verbatim, so I'm not really feeling this. Certainly hearing some slight rearrangement ideas on the lead (:47, 1:45-1:50). Some bad notes at 1:06-1:07.

The lead synths are either really high-pitched or bubbly; it really puts me off. By 2:11 & especially 2:27 this is just retreading the same territory with some very minor additions. Honestly gets boring after a while like this. Some harmonization joins in at 3:06, but it didn't mesh well at all to me.

There's not much development/progression with the support elements here, which isn't gonna work when that's where the majority of the rearrangement changes you've made are at (beyond the genre change). Go for more, please.

NO

maan, i really wanted to pass this after hearing that opening groove. but then that annoying distorted filtenv synth comes in and just makes me irate. that kind of sound does not function well as a melodic component in this context. it doesn't blend in well.

also some of the chordal sounds near the end are on the weak side, but that opening is so tasty.

resubmit...!

no

You can just tell everything here is a preset. Not a bad thing, but like analoq said, you cant really get the exact sound you want when you rely on presets.

Not too bad a song, pretty borderline over all. Several iffy sections make it below the line for me. The cut-res square synth at 1:00 for one, the empty section at 1:20 for another.

You aren't too far below the bar, so keep at it.

NO

Yes, that distorted synth is very annoying as a melodic instrument. The rest of the instrumention is alright if not terribly interesting. There's a lot of weird pitch bends with the lead glassy synth. The arrangement is alright (assuming it's a rearrangement), but somewhat repetitious. This is close to a yes with more change-ups of melodic leads, less annoying distortion and resonance, more accompaniment, and a better ending.

I'd usually suck a dick, but I'll suck a synth if you resubmit.

NO