Contact Information

ReMixer Name(s): TheKrow, Hylian Lemon

Real Name(s): Jordan Dromi, Ben Hoffman

Submission Information

Game ReMixed: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Track Remixed: Rolling Ridge / Goron Mountain

Original Track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAx44p0Bl8

ReMix: http://www.mediafire.com/?mkezwtnolqn

(I also included an attachment if for some reason the link becomes broken.)

This is a fun track Ben and myself both enjoyed working together on for the unofficial ReMix project, Essence of Lime. We originally didn't really have any definite direction to as what we wanted this to sound like, but we came up with something and just rolled (lol) with it. A lot of time was spent trying to find the right instruments to fit together, hence the interesting combination of synths, ethnic instruments, or otherwise. In the end we were quite pleased with how it turned out.

Also Ben writes:

"We is pretty tite."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAx44p0Bl8

I find it kind of amusing that they reused the Goron City theme in this game. Regardless, i like the sort of down-tempo feel you have for this, and I think the arrangement is a fun listen. I like the solo that you had on the xylophone and the counter-melodies it had as well. Things felt a little repetitive towards the end without any instrument changes (either instruments dropping in our out) or dynamic changes, etc. It would have been nice to have something to change the pace around.

I think the production needs some work. The low end in particular feels very unclear, and it's a shame, since the bass-line is one of the key parts of this track. Also, a lot of the instruments feel a bit mechanical. In some instances it actually adds a little charm, but some instruments like the flute could use a little more humanizing factors.

I think that this is close, but I'd really like to see the production especially get touched up. NO (resubmit)

I really like the arrangement and ideas here. The sequencing is sooo mechanical though, guys. :-(

The percussion early on really draws you in, but even though there is good panning, it seems like there is a lot of low end mud covering up stuff, specifically the bass. It's like there is a film covering up what it is doing, mainly that low pad, though the bass sample might also be to blame. The mechanical clav itself is pretty prominent as being a bit fakey, and the flute falls in that category as well.

I think with a lot of humanization and a few sample upgrades this would be awesome. Fix it up please! :-)

No, please resubmit

We originally didn't really have any definite direction to as what we wanted this to sound like, but we came up with something and just rolled (lol) with it.

Haha, I see what you did thar... :<

Cute! I've always been fond of the Goron music, and this is a very creative interpretation. I think the arrangement is basically flawless; my only suggestion would be to bring in the main melody sooner, or at least hint at it. I was surprised that it took until 1:03 to get there, because you can't really definitively tell what the source is until that point.

As for production, this could still use a little polish. The sax sample (I think that's what it is?) is particularly cringe-worthy, and overall many of the instruments could use more humanization. It sounds like each one is playing at the same velocity on every note, and at the exact same length - a common mistake. Balance wise, it sounds okay to me, but I would also like to hear a clearer bass sound.

It's great that you two buddies teamed up on this. You clearly work well together! Definitely hope to hear an update on this!

NO (please resubmit!)

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of reminds me of many PS1-era soundtracks: good samples, great arrangement, a little lacking in realism and articulation. I may have some sort of blind spot when it comes to Ben's work, but I felt whatever this lost in articulations was made up in arrangement. There's lots of elements going on to help mitigate any lack of realism. The buried bass didn't bother me either. Like Jill said, the balance is ok, it's just that the bass is more felt than heard. I was comfortable with having the bass not be a prominent element, though cutting the pads in the low-end could have brought out the bass. So yeah, I'm a YES.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

DA got it with the low end. The pads take up a lot of low real estate, and the bass doesn't cut. Boost the upper octaves of the bass, and trim the 1-300Hz range of the pads. In fact, a lot of the time, those pads are just wasting space. maybe pull the back. They are neither harmonically nor texturally interesting.

My complaint about the arrangement is that it lacks direction. Somewhat meandering, as a result of a flat dynamic curve.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good arrangement. I do agree that it's a bit meandering, but overall I was enjoying the fleshing out of the source. The lack of humanization is the biggest problem, although increasing the dynamic contrast and cleaning up the low end a bit would help as well. A little more refinement would turn this into a winner.

NO (resubmit)