OCR02163 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 'Ethnic Rush'

DragonAvenger

Hi there

Brandon Strader here again. Here is my submission for Liontamer's FFX

Hurry Challenge, wherein he stated that a panel passable FFX Hurry

remix would be fast-forwarded to the panel.

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Brandon Strader

Your real name: Brandon E. Strader

Your website: http://brandon.rainwound.com/

Your userid: 3123

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy X

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Hurry!

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind

it, how it was made, etc.

When I listened to Hurry!, I heard a lot of potential as an ethnic

percussion performance. There's not a lot to work with in the source,

as it has a singular repeating melody throughout the song. Most of the

remaining distinguishable elements of the song were rhythm-based as

far as my mutt-like musical awareness was concerned. At any rate, I

had a lot of fun doing this "live" version of the song and I've grown

an increased appreciation for the source after having worked on this.

Shout out for the FFX Hurry remix album!

-----------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KrLQKMMESE

What I like about this track is that you took the original, kept a bit of the tension in it, and then took off on your own thing. I think you did a good job of keeping those two elements in check, and I suspect you had a lot of fun doing it as well, which is showing. By nature of the original this track is a bit repetitive, but you do a few things to add some new territory. I might have liked some more variation in the guitar/flute source riff in a few spots to give my ears a bit of a rest, but that might also come from listening to this multiple times.

I definitely like the overall percussion you added to this. Very ethnic, pretty good sounds, and fun rhythms. I felt like the flute overall was mechanical, and part of me thinks it was intentional, but I would have liked a little bit of humanization on it. Some parts feel a little loose, but not so badly that it's a major detraction.

YES

Ooh, ethnic. Everyone knows I love zee ethnics! XD

Like Deia pointed out, the pan flute is pretty mechanical - and that particular ascending scale gets rather repetitive after a while. The production is a little rough in that "live performance" sense, but not to the point that it would affect my vote. Otherwise, I think it's great! Nice work taking on a challenging (read: minimal) source.

YES

What really sells me on this one is the feel of the live performance. It does make the synthetic elements stick out, but the fact that everything sounds like it was recorded in the same room gives it a really nice atmosphere, and the textures are really good. Hand percussion specifically gets the :nicework: .

The pan flute does sound pretty mechanical and unmusical in it's roboticness, but it's pretty in the background compared to all the acoustic guitar and hand drum interplay.

The arrangement didn't progress a ton, but there was a lot of expansion and definitely personalization.

Nice work man, i'm glad to see you taking some sonic risks and them paying off.

Yes