Welcome to the Jungle, it's got Fun and Games

The Damned

http://gizmodo.com/5655371/exclusive-first-photo-of-jungle-panasonics-portable-online-gaming-system

Panasonic's portable online system. Kind of a silly anme, but it's most likely a placeholder until they figure out something better.

It's supposed to be mostly for MMORPGs, but runs Linux, which is what almost every MMO of any kind doesn't run on. I can't see how this is supposed to be the thing that gets everyone to play outside, as it's not the native system for every game it supposed to be for. But the specs are supposed to be pretty good, like HD display and HDMI output with full wireless (maybe even 3G). Could be a fun little toy to mess around with if you're a Linux expert.

Yes, I had to use the pun in the title it's required by law. Also,

Well, honestly, I don't think there would be any room for a third portable in that market. Nintendo has what, 75% and Sony has the rest? Yeah, good luck getting in there.

But really, I think this is going to be the next N-Gage.

Well, Nintendo has 75%, Apple has 10% (if you include the iProducts as gaming devices), and Sony has the rest, since the PSP isn't doing so hot right now.

But otherwise, yes, I agree.

What kind of stats do MMOs have anyway as far as how many people play them? I mean, I play MMOs, but my understanding was that the players were a very small minority in the grand scheme of things (Zynga games aside).

I agree with the end of that article: game selection and price are going to be the things that determine success and failure of this, but perhaps gaming is mainstream enough for this to be realistic. I could see FarmVille running on that no problem, as well as the parade of mediocrity that Facebook has given life to.

WoW with Cataclysm and all, though... not so much.

If it had access to the few MMOs that I DO play, I would seriously consider this for sometime in the future.

Well, Nintendo has 75%, Apple has 10% (if you include the iProducts as gaming devices), and Sony has the rest, since the PSP isn't doing so hot right now.

"If" being a very big condition, seeing how you would be comparing a media and web tablet that happen to play basic flash games, to two dedicated game systems that have limited (or in the case of the DS, practically non-existent) media and web capabilities.

I'd say that would be like comparing Apples to oranges. ;-)

"If" being a very big condition, seeing how you would be comparing a media and web tablet that happen to play basic flash games, to two dedicated game systems that have limited (or in the case of the DS, practically non-existent) media and web capabilities.

I'd say that would be like comparing Apples to oranges. ;-)

I thought the more recent versions of the DS had web browsing? (Or the DS game card with internet on it had been released in the US.) Am I mistaken?

Yeah, it's pretty much pre-2000, dial-up speed, poorly executed tripe compared to what the dedicated tablets and smartphones can do.

Seriously, if you want to go online with a hand-held device, get an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy or something. Leave the DS for playing games.

And holy shit, this got really off-topic. So, anyway... Jungle. It got fun and games yet?

Jungle. It got fun and games yet?

Well I'd usually prefer that jungle "cut down" so to speak before the fun and games start up. :<

In all seriousness though I can only imagine the horror of any EVE Online player playing on such a small screen. I even have trouble sometimes with the interface of EVE-O on a regular large crt. :lol:

Any word on the pricing..?

I heard someone mention $400 US, but nothing official, I think.

Yeah no I'd rather spend the cash on buying an attache' case and try hard-hacking a laptop into to for storage and being able to use it as a blunt weapon without damaging the inside. :lol:

Reminds me of the 3DS's pricing issue which I'm also not bothering to buy due, once again, price. Too much man and I already can play the 3d-fied games on older platforms with my mind providing the 3d effect.

• 4 months later...