*NO* Shatterhand 'Closing in on Gus'

djpretzel

remixer name: Homie

email address: musornoyevedro@yahoo.com

user id: 18147 (?)

ReMix Info: This is a progressive hard-rock/heavy-metal implementation of 5 of the tracks from the same game.

Name of game ReMixed: Shatterhand (European version), Solbrain (Japanese version)

Songs ReMixed: Opening, Missile Command, Ravaged City, Stage Select, Stage Clear.

Additional information about game:

system: Nintendo Entertainment System,

game: Shatterhand/Solbrain

composers: Iku Mizutani, Kouichi Yamanishi

developer: Natsume

publisher: Jaleco

year of release: 1991

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.geocities.com/shatterhandweb/emulation.htm

Comments about the mix: Iku Mizutani and Kouichi Yamanishi were at the pick of their creativity when they scored Shatterhand/Solbrain. This game contains some of the best NES songs ever written - Is that enough inspiration, or what? ;-)

Software involved:

Image-Line Fruity Loops (host app)

reFX Slayer (plug-in)

reFX Vanguard (plug-in)

BigTick Angelina Choir Pads (plug-in)

ORGANized trio (plug-in)

Edirol Super Quartet (plug-in)

Thank you much

Do You Yahoo!?

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

http://mail.yahoo.com

Oh fuck yea. Listen to that lead. Thats what I'm talkin about. Finally someone who knows how to lead.

ROCK IT

Unfortunately the sound quality really brings this song down. Those leads get pretty annoying after a while. The rythm guitar isn't nearly meaty enough. The Sweet lead sequencing at the beginning does not really reappear later on at all.

Man, that beginning was so cool. Then the drums get very simple and the lead gets repetitive. Thats such a downer.

I must say although I love how this song was done, rework that eq and reconsider your drumprogression later on. Song rocked at the beginning and then just got really weak later on.

Man I'm really torn on this song.

NO

Please rework the eq and resubmit. Look into reverb, eq, and tone to get those guitars sounding good.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/shatterh.zip - NSFs Track 4 & 5

Gotta echo's Prot's sentiment; the lead guitar tone was flat and really never hit that level of strength beyond the opening riff for some reason. Soon after, the lead then got really obscured by the more distorted guitar providing support; watch the sound balance there. Hook up the percussion with a bit more activity and try to get the sound quality a bit sharper.

Away from the production side, this mix was a pretty strong straight arrangement/cover-style track and we do accept tracks like that, but I'd prefer to hear something on the rearrangement side to put it on firmer ground. I really enjoyed this one as well and would love to hear a resubmission, Ed. Frankly, if you're gonna do a cover, it needs to be a bit more expansive on the whole, but the second guitar did a good job on that level, so you may not need to do anything there. Primarily, taking a look at the production and delivery could bring this up a few notches.

NO (resubmit)

Those expecting a convincing, live guitar sound will be sorely disappointed, but if you just accept the sounds for what they are I think there's a lot to like here.

Love the energy throughout this one, and there's a enough variety in textures to keep things from getting too monotonous. And unlike most mixes that I hear these days, there's actually a satisfying form going on.

The opening (dig that organ) and the changeup at about 3:05 in particular are really wonderful, in my opinion.

Percussion track isn't the most interesting thing in the world, and the mix isn't perfect by any means. I'm pretty borderline on this one, but lean towards giving it a thumbs up.

YES

I think that the piece starts out really great, but as it gets further along, it really starts becoming quite bland. The guitar sound is pretty good (yay slayer?), but I really think that some sonic variety could do this piece some good; more of the kind of thing we get around the 3:03 mark.

I'm pretty borderline on this track. It seems to lose some steam halfway through. :( Work on a stronger, tighter sounding drum track, and some sonic variety.

NO (resubmit)

some of the leads are nice, but DS is right...it loses steam. furthermore, those crunchy guitars are missing mid and low range freqs. the form is cool, but it more or less all sounds the same. i did a test and randomly skipped to different parts of teh song...they all sounded virtually the same. that would account for the lack of steam.

mix it up a bit more, etc. and beef up the sound quality

NO