*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Daughter of Zeal'

djpretzel

I thought we weren't accepting anything more from JD Harding....

Oh well, this starts out as pretty much just an upgrade, and then totally innapropriate 808 percussion comes in with some dynamically flat conga work. There is some attention to modified harmonies, melody, etc - but not much. The main draws of this mix are executed well enough, yet are verbatim with the original. The original parts are comprised of lo-fi strings and flat piano runs. It also suffers from mechanical harp glissandos, which sound inferior to the original. Given that it repeats itself quite liberally with little variation, this is a track that falls definately below the bar.

Also - the crazy spring reverbed starting congas at 4:47 are inexcusable. More like a glitch than an intentional effect.

NO

-D

Seems to me that this is an attempt at melding styles; the problem is that it's only done with different percussion. Take out that 808 percussion and you've got a piece that's very close to the original, in terms of arrangement, interpretation, and instrumentation. Personally I think the harp work is just fine; the opening has a nice clockwork quality that I'm pretty partial to; the runs aren't terrible either.

What I really think this piece needs is something to compliment the percussion. If there was some kind of Mitsuda-esque bassline that added more motion to the lower range, the song would be more interesting, and the percussion wouldn't seem so out of place. I also think that utilizing the piano to add some more countermelodic ideas (to fill in sustained flute parts) would work really well too.

Certainly not a lost cause. I do like the texture in this piece; strings are pretty and the flute is nicely sequenced. Personally, I'm keeping this, but as far as OCR is concerned, I really think that you can do better in terms of arrangement and interpretation.

NO, but go for the resubmit!

As a genre adaptation piece, this could have been much more interpretive and more creative. That's already been gone over well by Dan & DS. Once this retread into the same stuff at 2:56, you knew this wasn't going anywhere in particular unfortunately. The conga work wasn't particularly invasive to me, but it certainly wasn't working there. No real variation to speak of within about 5 of the 6 minutes. You just gotta be more, bro.

NO