halc (13226)

Drew Wheeler

halcyonmix@gmail.com

'Oversaturated'

http://halc9bit.com/remixes/Kaleidoscope%20-%20Oversaturated.mp3

Kaleidoscope

Sources: Old Oddities, Variations on Navigation

Comments:

I'm obviously a big fan of Mattias's work, and the Kaleidoscope soundtrack is no exception. To be honest, this one gave me a bit of trouble. The end product is pretty simple and straightforward; I don't really think it lives up to the original tunes, but it was fun re-imagining the songs in a different sort of bell-sy chiptune style. Hope you enjoy! <3

----------------------------

Old Oddities

Variations on Navigation

Typical Halc mi-

Oh, fine. I'll vote for real. Halc combines the two sources pretty seamlessly, and as usual adds his trademark flavor. The chips and synths are used well, adding a sort of ecclectic feel to the overall. The mumbling in the background is a little strange, but it works for the mix. The one drawback is that the low end feels a bit lacking. The bass doesn't hold much weight compared to the higher end stuff. This makes the mix feel a little more upbeat and almost childish, which works in it's own way, but it would have been nice to hear some low stuff, too.

YES

The random talking under the track or whatever the sound is tends to be annoying and doesn't add anything to the arrangement, IMO (ps, Deia is straight up wrong), but thankfully it stops eventually. Only to come back later. :/

Arrangement is pretty straightforward, and the sounds used are actually pretty similar tonally to the sources which ties it in further. The ending seemed pretty halfassed too. There are some shining parts, like how the mixed meter section transitions, and some cool chip sfx scattered around, but I dunno, really. It totally feels to me like this one was phoned in. I don't hate it, but I don't think it stands up to previous work at all.

This is borderline for me, but i'm gonna have to go No, please resubmit

I remember feeling that halc's Electric Flute mix was a step down from his previous stuff, but I felt this mix was more of a sidestep from his usual style. Count me as someone who likes the mumbling, reminded me of Mouse on Mars and gave the song an interesting texture. The treatment wasn't that out there, but had some cool moments and felt like a more laidback crazy than Drew's usual crazy, which is kind of interesting in itself. I liked it and see no reason not to pass it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Not really feeling this. I realize halc's sound is really lo-fi chippy stuff, but this one kind of feels like it relies way too much on simple sounds to get the job done. The fact that the texture is so similar to the originals doesn't help much either.

Cool percussion though!

Gonna have to say NO, resub on this. Would like to see more going on in terms of processing the sounds; as it stands the synth stuff feels really basic and uninteresting.

I thought the sounds were fine and I didn't think they were too close to the original. Shariq's POV wasn't invalid; there were certainly moments that were close to the mood & feel of the original, but enough of the arrangement had a different enough sound for me to be OK with it.

This had a Genesis/Sonic 3 deal going on with the lead at :34, which was cool. As for the brief talking underneath, that wasn't an issue. The production was generally solid.

I thought 1:09-1:35's section was an area where more of a build or energy increase would have worked nicely. I see the mood you're going for, but overall, the dynamic curve felt too flat. I'm not saying get crazy with 2000% more grace notes and loud shit, but this needs something extra.

I also felt the transition at 2:04 was pretty uninspired as well; the change-up with the sources didn't flow at all, so the higher pitched arrangement of the 2nd source sounded out of place with everything that came before it.

Sounds like a WIP that's mostly there, but isn't quite ready. Hate to do this to ya, as you are a 9-bit superstar, but I think this is only 80-85% there. Some quick tweak and this'll posted with no problem. That said, good luck with the rest of the vote.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

The arrangement of Old Oddities is pretty close to the original, but the setting is new and the melodic variation is nice. I do also kind of feel that the transition to the second source was a bit weak, and then that section just kind of ends.

Production is pretty crisp. Some more synth processing would definitely help, but texturally I think this is fine so far (I'm in the pro camp re. the voices). A punchier bass would help a bit.

I agree that this sounds a bit like a work in progress. There's nothing really overly wrong, but the whole package isn't quite there. Do resub, because Mattias' ego could definitely use some stroking with a remix (also because this is pretty good).

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to say this isn't my favorite halc remix. Doesn't seem to have a very well-defined direction. The production is fine. I have no issues with the sounds or anything like that. I just think this is kind of uninspired. I'm actually kind of torn, because I have no other real complaints.

What the hell. Borderline YES