*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'A Terrible Fate' *RESUB*

djpretzel

i often hear people try to combine orchestral and electronic elements into a single unit, which can work good if done right(matrix, maybe)

and often it isn't done right. one side is usually weaker than the other.

neither side here is good, but one is definitely better than the other.

it has its moments like 1:15, but as a whole though: it's just not working for me.

the transitions are really messy/awkward. (2.11???)

close, but resubmit material imo.

no

As analoq mentioned, some of the sections are actually pretty interesting - particularly the harp section. But those synths are rather cheesy and not terribly convincing. To be honest, it sounds a bit like the synth sounds that one finds in GM presets. And the section at 2:11 is perhaps ill-advised- it feels almost like a new piece has started and the effect is quite jarring.

Has it's moments, but the synth elements in particular need more work.

NO

This comes off as sounding very empty. The synth sounds used in tandem with the detache strings (squid?) just aren't enough to fill up the soundscape. The harp and piano bits are pretty nice; but I think that the whole thing is a bit drenched in reverb. The synths are also lifeless and lo-fi, and the bassline is boring. That change at 2:11 sounds so out of place too.

NO

Problems galore. The two main transition points here are really awkward and abrupt. I thought the last half of the mix was definitely its strongest section. But parts like at 2:50 have a lot of tonal clashes for me. It just sounded like a mess. Enjoyed the tempo changes and style of the mix.

Problems aside I thought this was decent. It's quite fun, but several issues pointed out by myself and the other judges make this enough of an underachiever for me to NO. Having heard your other stuff, I know the quality you're capable of, this falls short for me.

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~agashlin/usf/sets/lozmmusf.zip - "Final Hours"

Not bad stuff intro in until :20. Really like the voice thrown in really quickly at :16. Works very, very well. The drums here are a little weak and needed more meat on 'em, but I'm liking the groove so far. Good simple sequenced piano stuff at :46. I think the sound could bit a bit sharper. Not a bad tempo change at all at 1:29, IMO, I just think the percussion here is too weak to make an impact here.

I didn't like where things went following the abrupt transition at 2:09. Again, flesh out these synths and beats with some more meat on the bones. 2:39 with the piano runs really gets cluttered, so try and create more separation amongst the elements here. Very nice slowdown around 3:05-3:09, though the ending was REALLY abrupt to me. The tempo changes worked well to me.

Wow, very promising stuff. I knew I wouldn't regret checking it out even though it had enough votes. Though technically I'm also going NO, I felt you just needed more power behind your sounds. I'd YES if this had less reverb drenching things along with fuller-sounding synths.

I know this first resubmission took a while to make it over here, Mike, but make sure to contact a judge via PM (i.e. me) if you're willing to tweak things based on any criticisms you'd agree on and go for another resubmission. I know this resub got rejected, but I'd still genuinely love to hear another revision of this. Very cool arrangement that's almost there in the delivery. You don't have to listen to me, but please keep at it on this one, as I feel it's worth it.