*NO* Thrust 'Trust This'

djpretzel

Email sub file Sideshow - Trust This.mp3 - djp

Hello,

I'm a new remixer. I did this remix some time ago. After messing with it for a while I think it is good enough for OCremix.

Contact info:

Remixer Name: Sideshow

E-mail adress: sideshow01@gmail.com

ReMix info:

Name of game: Thrust

Song: Theme

Info about game: Commodore 64 game, org. composer Rob Hubbard Link to org. track: http://www.c64.org/HVSC/Hubbard_Rob/Thrust.sid

i thought it was my imagination at first.. but no.. there really are some awkward pitch bends in this remix.

i like the oldschool sound here, kinda italo disco-ish.

i also like the percussion break, reminds me of early 90s industrial.

overall though, the execution falls a bit flat -- the mix feels like it goes on for too long and the instruments just come off as weak.

the interpretation is conservative as well.

no

http://www.c64.org/HVSC/Hubbard_Rob/Thrust.sid - Subtune 1/1

Thanks a lot for providing the source tune, Magnus. The percussion's a little basic, but I like the groove coming in at :16. Too bad the lead's panned right with no corresponding left channel activity for no practical reason. That definitely dragging this down. The production could also sound notably sharper.

This could have gone somewhere at 2:08 instead of just retreading. 2:44 totally switched up the beat with some hard drums, but they lacked power and presence due to lack of sharpness in the production, and just meandered for a while with no real substance. Kind of killed the flow actually. The melody phasing back in at 3:19 should have happened a LOT sooner.

You're just hitting some already done stuff at 3:35. There was some tiny bit of additions at 4:26 that probably should have arrived early instead of repeating some of the beginning sections verbatim in the middle.

It's too bad, because a notable portion of the C64 scene's approach to mixing doesn't work so much here. Pardon my ignorance if any of you out there feel that's not the case, but a lot of relatively new mixers there do stick with repetitive, conservative arrangements, which is generally not frowned upon there, yet is just a NO-go here.

Good groove overall, and something I've enjoyed listening to again and again since writing this vote, but I still think this could trim the fat off and be a stronger product. The panning choices need to be revisited, the final mixdown could use some more clarity, the instruments need some more strength in places, and the arrangement needs more dynamics and less retreadting. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm bagging on it. Like analoq mentioned, I'm feeling some of the sound choices and the overall groove. I really enjoyed it for what it was and hope to hear a resubmission if you're up for it.

I love the throwback sounds here. Very classic. I really enjoyed this one.

It's also a bit overly drawn out and sounds a bit too repetitive. I really like the toms section. But I think the conservative take of the mix and the decent production make it a borderline NO from me.

I'm keeping though, it's fun, but really doesn't meet the standards at this point.

ok

the groove to this is awesome. you're right when you say throwback and retro... i'm stuck in some dive bar/night club thinking about watching the neverendingstory when i stumble home drunk - in 1985.

and the girl i'm dancing with has bigger hair than cher, frilly socks and earrings i can stick my head through

but with all the good feelings i'm getting from this... this just goes on and on and on and doesn't really do ANYTHING. and i had no idea what you meant by awkward pitch bends until i heard it the second time through and noticed how every once in a while there would be a note off by like a smidge but it was noticeable enough ... almost as if the "instrument" was slightly out of tune.

all in all, there are a lot of weird things happening with this mix... that whole section after 3.00 minute mark with just the drums and the wild soundin classic pad in the background made me dizzy. dont know if i liked that.

slap the awkward off-notes onto the fact that this is grossly conservative and this thing gets a FED-EX overnight delivery to NO