OCR01267 - Final Fantasy IX "Hunter's Community Chest"

djpretzel

For me, the main draw is 3:14 - 3:36. Things get ridiculously fast here, like there's a contest to see how much the percussion can be pushed to the limit. Consequently, it's hard for me to keep my composure while listening to this section. Sometimes I'm in stitches; often I laugh; always I smile.

I concur with djp's comment that this could be labeled "music for nanomachines." It definitely has that robotic feel to it - in fact, after a ritardando climax characteristic of a number of Sam's arrangements, the last several seconds sound like an emergency signal going, "Abort mission. Retreat in progress..."

Electronically pensive and exploratory.

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01267 - Final Fantasy IX "Hunter's Community Chest"
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, Liontamer said:

I thought I posted here, but I've kept track of the votes where I felt I was dead wrong (IIRC, it's 4), and this was one of them, which taught me an important lesson about appreciating dynamics within a narrower dynamic range. This was lo-fi before lo-fi was cool. Great stuff!

rereading the judges' decisions, it even spawned an important little discussion about judging priorities among you guys. this type of controversy is the stuff that keeps things and minds fresh, innit?

it resonates well with what i was trying to get across recently, in the "appreciation of OCR" thread.

lion, don't take it as a diss, but with the gazillion of things you judged, i'm sure you were dead wrong on more than 4 occasions. you'll only ever know it when you or someone else in your music appreciation circle comes to love the track in question later, and you come around to seeing it in a new light!

how many tracks did you judge in your jujtime? 5000? 10000? no one can ask of you to reevaluate all of those and gain new respect for whatever hidden gems were in there, but there could easily be 50-100 in there that got a pretty firm NO from you but might make you scratch your head at a later point.

personal disclaimer: i only submitted 5 tracks ever, and i was thankful that the panel could appreciate my first 4 attempts at the time...i made each of those tracks as good as i could, with my ability at the time.

the 5th one was a track i quite liked, but i realised it wasn't fully fleshed out. i actually submitted it partly because i was in the spirit of "ah fuck it, you're still afraid of getting a NO from the judges after 10 years on this site, that's so silly."

so from a personal standpoint, i never had trouble with the judging system. i also respect the 50:50 ratio for example, it's a good rule if you have to get nitty gritty.

but what about the gazillion of other tracks, a few of which bound to come from people with a very particular and quirky vision of music.

i don't think a margin of error of 1% is such a terrible thing to theoretically admit, with such a subjective thing as music no less.

:)

P.S.: it's super funny that, and how, Prot NO'd this particular track. one of my OCR music heroes of old. i'd like to ask him if he'd still NO it these days. haha.

Edited by Nase