Nights: Journey of Dreams - Dream Gate rmxm

sci

This mix mostly fell into place over the course of 48 hours. [/false]

original:

you only need to listen to the first minute or so before it starts looping.

mine:

img.php?fid=1078

(version 8.)

Submitted!

breakdown:

the original has three parts (pretty much yeah):

0:00 - 0:19 = (part a) three chords

0:19 - 0:38 = (part B) toybox melody

0:38 - 0:58 = (part c) keyboard rolls

my song uses each piece like so:

0:00 - 0:11 = a (very loosely)

0:11 - 0:43 = a

0:43 - 1:14 = b

1:14 - 1:29 = c

1:29 - 1:45 = a

1:45 - 2:15 = a...some more

2:15 - 2:29 = c

2:29 - 3:16 = b

other notes and such:

My main concern is that everyone will find it repetitive and boring. I was aiming for a chill-out-esque thing...something between Aphex Twin's "Cliff", "Xtal", and [insert anything Pogo has ever created here].

fun fact: my sister introduced the original song to me AND provided the vocal bits when I said I was going to remix it.

I'm probably one of the biggest NiGHTSfans on the site, and I gotta say, I couldn't resist listening to this. Dream Gate on JoD was a fantastic song, and those Aphex Twin songs you listed are also things I greatly like.

Concept is great, execution is also great, especially the reversals you used throughout. I can't help but feel that a few sections could use an extra instrument or two (the sparser, more empty ones could do with some kind of backing smooth synth playing an arp in 16th notes, for example). Other than that, really really REALLY diggin' it. I will listen more and list any more comments if I have them.

Started my morning off right with this one!

Edit: Okay, some of the hihat sounds could use a little work as well. The overly synthetic and static velocity open hihat that happens around :40 through when you start switch between closed and open is a bit grating.

The overly synthetic and static velocity open hihat that happens around :40 through when you start switch between closed and open is a bit grating.

oooh, good ear. Swapped it out for something that's hopefully less grating. :)

img.php?fid=961

I also added a bunch more Pogo influence (ie, chopped up orchestral stuff) towards the end,

and another layer of synth here and there...hopefully it sounds less sparse now.

I'm a bit worried that the background synth arp action is distracting @ 1:40 - 2:11, but I think it may just be me.

Besides that, I think this mix is pretty much complete.

thanks for the comments so far. :D

• 2 weeks later...
is it even ok to doublepost with little changes like this?

Yes, yes it is.

Listening to this again, man. Good fix for those hihats from what I can hear. You cleaned this up a bit in certain places, definitely an improvement. Loving the Yellow Submarine idle chatter now that I can hear it (I probably could before but wasn't trying to make it out). Honestly, I can't think of any other feedback to give at the moment besides try to do a little less copy-paste with that one section. Its around 1:25 that the section starts again, try to variate just a little bit more, and I would say this is ready for mod review. Maybe add a few new instruments or something.

I really like this mix. It reminds me of Boards of Canada. The fact that the song is somewhat repetitive doesn't really bother me that much because what is there is so chill, and you do mix it up a little bit with subtle details when you reprise the sections.

I really like the part where you reverse the percussion, by the way. Sounds really groovy 8)

Can't listen to youtube at the moment, but I'll comment on the production/flow/etc for now:

Cool effects usage to bring this in. In general the sounds are pretty low fi, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I understand the style you're going for. The hihat specifically struck me as maybe a bit TOO low fi in this regard, though, it almost sounds like a noise channel on an old game system or something, which makes it stick out. The kick and snare tend to stick out a bit too, but not as much as the hats. I guess I'm a little on the fence about the beat in general. It plays a minor role, however, so it's not a huge issue.

Cool flow here, I'll echo stevo that this has several sections that could use some more filling out with supporting parts & content. For example, when the beat comes in at 1:14 and 1:22 the song momentarily loses it's energy and momentum.

Really liked the more forceful part at 2:26. I would've liked to hear a bit more energy/support behind it to even give it a bit more contrast. Slow wind down to the ending is very cool. The last note struck me as a bit weird, but it's workable.

One more thought: I would've liked to hear a bit more contrast in the textures in the track as it stays fairly close to the same throughout (try just clicking around the track and you'll hear what I mean.

Overall, this is a very cool track and a fun listen. I'd like to get a feel for how strong the arrangement is, so I'll try to chime in later with that.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, second page of forum. (sorry for the disappearance.)

that hihat is the most perfect thing I could find. lofi, yes...but I think it works. <_<

when the beat loses it's momentum at 1:14 and 1:22...that was kind of intentional, unless I'm misunderstanding something. The idea was to "take a breath" in the song, for lack of a better description.

Listening again after a month, I think it would help if I removed the forward-drums.

edit: tried that. I really hear what you mean now. :|

the more forceful part at 2:26: more energy/support? how so?

or rather, isn't that part a bit too crowded already?

textures: ...ok. yeah, this track really needs some more variation.

-----

side question: do I change the thread status thing back to WIP while I'm changing the stuff you mentioned?

• 1 month later...
Sorry but I'm lost, I don't know where's the remix to listen

Woah sorry for the 3 month late reply. Listen to the remix via the fancy picture below. If that doesn't work, then I also have a direct link to the mp3 (v7).

So, 2011.

Life.

Yep.

I changed a few things:

img.php?fid=1069

Also, every other link I posted expired, so here are all the versions in a nice folder, if you'd like to compare:

http://toastbeard.comli.com/night/

I'm keeping this thread labled as mod review.

With the possible exception of that one hihat, I think this is good to go. :D

It reminds me of Boards of Canada.
I've since checked out these guys, and I discovered: they are awesome. I don't see the resemblance. ;)

It's really the warm synths that are featured throughout the track that really make me think of Boards of Canada (a good comparison of course, cause I love em).

I have to be honest and say that I'm really not a huge fan of that hi hat, and I do think it would be better to find something else for it.

Aside from the hi-hat, I do kinda feel that some of the percussion sounds and beats are the weak points of the mix; however, I wouldn't say they're deal breakers, and I still really like the reversed part.

I really like the track :)

Honestly, I've been listening to this for a while listening for things I don't like, but even if there's some things like the hi-hats that aren't quite up to bar, it all feels like a very cohesive song where everything works well together. It feels very BOC-ish and a very accurate interpretation of the source in that genre.

Great song, could you post a download link so I could keep this? :-)

Bah, I still haven't gotten to listen to that source. Sorry about that.

On production, I don't think I'll change my crits as they stand from earlier. One thought, though, on the beat. It's also very dry compared to the other elements, so maybe some tastefully (read: don't overdo it) applied reverb will help it out.

It's a very cool track though, dude. Pending the arrangement, I guess I'd go ahead with the sub, regardless of what you decide on the hat/drums.

Source usage definitely seems to check out to me, the connection seemed very obvious but still expanded on.

I would still suggest a submission, the percussion seems more like a stylistic choice than a production oversight and actually contributes a bit to the soundscape IMO, but Justin's advice is perfectly viable and very well could help assist the mix in passing. Up to you really, I still enjoy it quite a bit regardless :-)

maybe some tastefully applied reverb

got it.

(j/k j/k)

ok I'm ready to submit completely.

img.php?fid=1078

(version 8.)

I went in to apply reverb in the drums and started playing with the drum patterns. The song only got better. Who would have guessed? <_<

I'm going to write a submission email once I can string together some sentences coherently and parse submission instructions, i.e. when it's not 1:30am. Edit: Submitted! (where's my scratch-through tag?)

Thank you guys for the feedback. :D