djpretzel

a.. Contact Info

a.. Your ReMixer name ... U-ji

b.. Your real name

c.. Your email address ... u-ji@mail.hinocatv.ne.jp

d.. Your website ... http://www.hinocatv.ne.jp/~borro/house-nrg/

e.. Your userid (number, not name) on our forums 0

b.. ReMix Info

a.. Name of game(s) ReMixed ... Dragon Quest II (Epic Trance mix)

a.. Name of individual song(s) ReMixed

b.. Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.

... KORG Triton (with TRANCE ATTACK) , ENSONIQ MR-Rack , YAMAHA An1x ,CAKE WALK version 6 , TR-RACK

a.. Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site

b.. Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

... It is a long time. I send Remix again. Please enjoy to this sound by all means.

Thank you.

U-ji

u-ji@mail.hinocatv.ne.jp

Fairly typical trance/dance/generic club music sound, but that build-up into the main source material is ridiculously long. More than half the mix (all the way upto 3:20) is devoted to a single bar of material repeated over and over again, built up. I think the chord changes, once, but then it changes back. The single bar theme comes back at 4:44 and leads out the mix. Now, I'm not one to quantify music, but looking strictly at the number of seconds, we've got about 75.5 percent of this mix covering a single measure of source material.

It gets old.

When the more melodic parts do show up, the percussion is BOOM-TSS, the synths are generic, and the construction is typical.

Sorry, but if you're really going to mix 1 bar of source material for over four minutes, at least do some rhythmically interesting stuff with it, instead of just building it up with a typical stacking trance progression.

NO

This would have been passable had it been submitted around the time of u-ji's earlier mixes, but unfortunately, his style hasn't changed to meet the higher standards of today. LOTS of bread and butter sounds which aren't necessarily bad, but they never change in any way and are certainly not interesting enough to stand by themselves combined with the incredibly repetitive arrangement. Putting in some dynamic synth patches, automation (filter sweeps etc), percussive changes, and more aggressive EQ/compression/filter would all help to up the overall sound quality. Arrangement-wise.. as DS said, this is way too repetitive for such a small amount of source material. The production is probably the strongest aspect of the mix, though it's pretty standard - in the future, though, I would advise using VBR rather than a CBR of 128, because it sounds noticeably duller at that bitrate.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/dq2.zip - Track 3

Ah dammit, I initially thought the build-up was cool, then this TAME wutevar sound came in at :58. C'mon, bro. Spice it up, Burgertime style. Dammit, by 2:00 this is STILL going. I wanted to pass this. [/checks the NSF] Intro's not overtly inspired by any of the tracks. Over half the mix is original material. That's already a no-go.

Almost a non sequitur transition to the orchestral strings from 3:19-3:37. Not bad trance arrangement or anything, but it's not very interpretive with the source here, and there's no separation of sounds here, so it doesn't pass on production either. Too bad, bro. Enjoyable piece, but this one's academic.

NO

This strikes me as the sort of music that might be perfectly at home in a club setting, but when it comes to a close listening, simply fails to hold the listener's interest. Quite repetitive and the short orchestral section 3 or so minutes in is entirely inexplicable.

The main purpose of the music on this site is to be listened to, rather than danced to, and so I feel this should get a NO