*NO* Chrono Cross 'Jammin the Takage'

djpretzel

Email sub file takage2b.mp3 - djp

Greetings DJ Pretzel,

Remixer name :- The Trilobyte

Game:- Chrono Cross

Song :- Dancing the takage

This is a funk rock remix of the jiggy folk theme "Dancing the takage" used in Termina in Chrono Cross. It came about actually while I was just seeing if I could do a copy of the song, then I changed a few notes, added some different notes in and put guitars instead. It definately comes off very different from the original while at the same time, not forgetting where it came from. So suitable, I named it "Jammin the takage".

Hopefully attempt 2 will make it on yer site, if not...I keep pluggin away till i get something good :) Thanks so much for your work, my winamp wouldn't be the same without your website.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 105 "Dancing the Tokage"

No offense, but what you thought was substantially "different" wasn't different enough at all. The new instrumentation is different sure, but the composition is around 85-90% Mitsuda's. Don't forget where the inspiration came from, sure, but it's nonetheless important here to fashion an interpretive rearrangement or at least a highly expansive arrangement.

The distorted synth guitar that's occasionally used doesn't seem to mesh well with the other instruments, but that's just a subjective thing. The notes of the distorted guitar really don't sound right in their support role from 1:01-1:12.

At 1:22, you just rinse and repeat what you had before. No dice. Needs to be more interpretive or substantially expansive relative to the source tune. Needs to not uncreatively retread the composition in only a 2:25 mix. Most of the structure is flat-out lifted from the original, and the tempo is the same. Nah, bro, you just gotta be more. Sorry, but if we took in every average cover, we'd be swimming in average covers.

NO

oof.. yeah, these sounds are very bad (they really are FL defaults and presets). I'd go to hammersound.net and kvr-vst.com and pick up some new samples/synths ASAP. Don't forget, there's always the Remixing forum if you need help with that. The mastering and production is not terrible, but try using FL's Parametric EQ and 7 band EQ to give the different instruments their own "space", so they don't mesh together so much. Another thing you need to give some attention to are your drums. The patterns are fairly close to the original, and really aren't interesting - vary them up a bit more, put in fills, add a bit of swing. Don't forget the pick up new samples here too, or try layering your current samples to create more pleasing timbres.

In terms of arrangement, this isn't a direct copy of the original, but you do need to expand on it much more. Nearly all of the original rhythms, notes, and motifs are still there. We certainly don't want you to make your mix unrecognizable in comparison with the source tune, but you need to make it YOUR interpretation. Add your own ideas; change around the progression, alter the rhythms, vary the melody or harmony, do some tempo changes, etc. Give it a shot.

NO