*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'God's Nascency'

djpretzel

>ReMixer name : Lionheart

>real name : Steven Erskine

>email address : hotmale_2428@hotmail.com

>website : http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/lionheart2428

>

>

>Name of game(s) ReMixed : Final Fantasy VII Name of individual song(s)

>ReMixed : Birth Of A God

>Comments: I always loved the original Birth Of A God and was sad to

>see that it wasn't on the Final Fantasy VII Piano Collections Album so

>i thought it'd be fun to make my own piano version of it and I haven't

>heard much remixes either. So here is my version in all its glory for Solo Piano!

>

>

>

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today!

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops sorry to all this one seems to have been left here for some time.

Seems you need to go to http://members.lycos.co.uk/lionheart2428

And then download it, if you want to play it in Winamp or something like that.

We have quite a high standard for solo piano renditions here, and this one has playing that seems quite static and unnatural at times.

Not disgustingly bad, and quite stylistic, but I don't think that this would compare favourably with what we have. This sounds like less of a piano solo and more like a piano part just taken out of a sequenced song.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 415 "The Birth of God"

We have quite a high standard for solo piano renditions here, and this one has playing that seems quite static and unnatural at times.

Not disgustingly bad, and quite stylistic, but I don't think that this would compare favourably with what we have. This sounds like less of a piano solo and more like a piano part just taken out of a sequenced song.

Testify, bro. I definitely like the arrangement, but the performance is very unnatural sounding. Also hearing a lot of light static-y hissing. I've heard that in a lot of tracks, and was just interested in knowing what caused it. I'll scour around the ReMixing forum to find out. I suggest you do the same. It's a minor thing, but the hissing drags down the track on headphones.

But yeah, the standard for solo piano performances, both sequenced and real, are high. Not every piece is going to be lauded at the second coming of compositional creativity. But most of the sequenced ones on the site, especially as of late, sound reasonably realistic sounding. Resub it if you can get this sounding livelier, Steven. The arrangement was where it needed to be.

NO

ok i don't get it.

the wolf of the opera piece that was posted a while back had the same or worse dynamic than this piece and somehow this is being voted no on because of lack of dynamic?

this is a good piece. there are points of trouble, yes...some unnatural sounding piano notes... but this is an awesome piano arrangement. the arrangement itself is topnotch - there's a lot of textural gems in this one... there is a great driving presence with the distinctly rhythmic character of the piece. its constantly moving

the intro walks into the first driving section very fluidly. i think we shouldn't fail to see that as a work of quality, it is one.

i really don't understand why this would be considered a sub-par piano arrangement because of a few unnatural notes here and there. its not as though every piano arrangement on the site is performed live.

all in all, a very good piano arrangement and a YES from me

I'm with Zyko on this one.

*gasp* Wait a minute, the resident piano guy likes a piano piece that has been demonized as "myseriously ookie"?

While Malcos has a point with the midi-track, reforged. I think it works remarkably well here. There's all sorts of nice little bells and whistles here, and as much as I love looking at the big picture, I'm a sucker for detail.

I applaud this piece for its non-conventional approach to the piano-solo and am more enamored with its texture, pacing, and structure than I am turned off by its few awkward notes.

YES

edit: Gotta love the ending. Seph - i - reeeeeeee

This is great. I have no issues with the dynamics. Everything here is above the bar, except, there is so so much clipping throughout the whole mix, like at 3:46. I don't mind a few instances of clipping here and there, but this is too much. I want a rerecording. Until then NO.

Wingless and Zyko, considering your strong opinions of this mix. You two can request this vote to go to a full panel vote, or the vote is closed at this point.

I don't hear any problems with dynamics here - effective use of sforzando, crescendo, etc. Nice arrangement. At first I thought it was a little bit like an orchestral arrangement in a piano solo's shoes. But the more I listen to it, it's more like a crazy romantic-era-style interpretation. Forgive me if I've mis-classified it (Israfel?).

Arrangement - No qualms. Dynamics are fine.

Sample Quality - Not bad, one of the better piano samples i've heard lately. Could be better, but definately past the bar quality.

Clipping - Not acceptable. Reencode and try again. Too easy to fix to let this through.

NO

-D

it isn't that i necessarily have strong opinions on the mix. i just don't think i heard clipping through my monitors - i wasn't even aware there was any

if that is indeed the case, then it should be re-recorded and re-submitted. the clipping is an issue only because of the high standard set by piano mixes on the site

otherwise i think this is a solid arrangement.

On my headphones, I am definitely hearing some clipping at a few points: 1:00 and 1:02 for instance, as well as around 1:50-2:00. I can list more times too, though it's particularly noticeable at those. It did stick out at me, and detracts from the song. In terms of other production values, things sound good to me. Just drop the volume on your samples or don't compress/normalize at the end.

(edit: I actually thought this was live when I wrote the below paragraph, but even though it isn't, I think that the following comments still would apply)

The performance is passable here, but I think it could be a lot better. In the 'intro' of the arrangement, I was hoping to hear a lot of dynamics in volume/articulation/tempo, but there isn't that much of that in the piece. What makes really great piano pieces and performances so great is that they are FILLED with dramatic swells, tempo changes, modulation, etc. If you plan on re-recording this, DON'T be afraid to exaggerate. If you have to do a huge swell from pp to ff and slow down the tempo drastically, do it! You'll rarely hear a memorable or emotional piano performance where the piano player doesn't change his or her touch at any point. At the very least, work on a more resolute ending. Rather than just repeating the motif and hastily hitting one last chord, really build into it. Maybe have a ritard and decrescendo right before the last few measures, then go nuts and really make us HEAR that the piece is over. Have fun with it!

From a purely arrangement perspective, this is good. You expand on the original theme while using some of your own material. A more complex left hand arrangement wouldn't have hurt, and maybe a few bridge sections to ease the tension, but arrangement is secondary to me in this mix compared to the performance.

NO for now. Fix the clipping, tweak the arrangement, resequence or get a live recording, then resubmit. I like what I hear so far.